Receiver running hot, how do you keep it cooler?

spencersmb

FWIW my Denon x6200W has 2 internal fans that are factory set to turn on when the unit reaches 158 degrees F. That has never happened in my unit. Apparently D&M feel that the electrical components they choose have a high enough thermal threshold that active cooling is not necessary. Having active fans running does cause some noise output, therefore making the sound to noise ratio a moot point as there will be a louder ambient sound from the fans than there is from the speakers when idle.

@MC39693 @Mr.2stroke @JefDC

I just added an Affinity T8 rear exhaust cooler on top of my unit and it has made a good amount of difference. I also cut out a 17" (width) x 2" (height) hole in the back of the Tv console for the air to be pushed out from instead of just the dinky 2" circle that was originally there to pass wires through. I watched a movie last night with the wife at volume 55, which is loud but not movie theater loud, and the air sensor never got above 85 degrees. Afterwards I could touch the rear top part of the receivers chassis where it was always the hottest, and it was not very hot, before I could barely touch it. So I'm impressed! I set the fan speed to 1 because I could still hear it at 2. Anything above 2 is too noisy for an open cabinet tv console right under the tv and I sit 10 ft away from my TV. 

Only downside is that I don't know how to make it turn off/on when the receiver turns off/on, I have to do it manually. 

Edited by spencersmb
  • Like 2

My Sherbourn's run a few minutes after my equipment is shut off. IMO, I feel that's a good thing as the fans are still working to achieve the temperature parameters you have set.

You need to keep in mind that the fan unit is actually blocking the normal dissipation of the vents of the AVR when it's not running.

• Like 1

Got a USB port?  Been running this for *years*.  I covered up the top intake.  Can't hear it run.  Placed it over the vents on one side of my Integra and it pulls enough air to make the temp near ambient.

https://www.coolerguys.com/collections/usb-fans/products/coolerguys-120x25mm-rear-exhaust-blower-fan-5-volt-with-usb-connector

coolerguys-120x25mm-rear-exhaust-blower-

• Like 2

@JohnA I've got 2 usb ports on the back of the unit. I guess I would have to remove the other fans from inside the unit so they don't run. I wonder if I could just replace them with 3 of these fans? I guess I'll have to investigate more. Although it doesn't seem like the specs are that different from the AC infinity fans.
I think the AC infinity uses these blower fans -> 
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MULTIFAN-Control-Receiver/dp/B012CL2V3I/

However I'm not 100% those are the fans they use in the T8 unit ,but it looks like them.

-Spencer

Personally I can't see spending large amounts of money on cooling fans

when they can be had pretty cheap.

With a USB port, I'd consider a Laptop Cooling Pad.

They're inexpensive and QUIET.

They come in various configurations from 

1 fan on a chassis to 4 or 5 fans.

All you want to do is draw heat away from the AVR.

Amazon has a Boatload of them.

Some even have pretty red and blue lights--Hahahaha.

You can get a pretty nice one for 30 bucks

I know this isn't the same but I seen 100's of post on motorcycle forum that people thinking their bikes were running hot. My fix was to put black tape over the gauge so you can't see the temps. Now none of these folks said their bikes were boiling over just the temp gauge showing almost hot. If the amp isn't kicking off I wouldn't worry much about it. 

If you have room for that AC Infinity thing, you don't need extra cooling.  In my case, I have maybe 1/4" between the beams that support the glass shelf for the TV and the top of my Pre/Pro.  The Pre/Pro's vents lie between the 2 beams.  It vents to the sides, but not too much.  The shelves aren't adjustable. 

If one fan doesn't do it, you should move the unit. 

Now that I am retired, I will soon be building my retirement home.  I have already designed the cabinetry for my audio equipment, with emphasis on airflow to get rid of heat.  Ventilation air-flow from bottom thru the top with exhaust fans pulling the air upwards...thru every level from bottom to top was a key factor in its design! IMHO, any high-output amp with internal heat-sinks cooled by internal fans is a design-fail to begin with.  I have more than one old receiver which are very "busy under the hood" with internal heat-sinks and no fans...which leads to poor airflow over their innards...SO I planned ahead in order to solve that in the cabinet design.  There was a time when designers actually provided extremely adequate external heat sinks...and a whisper fan option for anything they designed providing 200 WPC or above...apparently those days are long gone in most cases, unfortunately.  I originally posted here with a possible solution for you, but upon closer checking previous posts on this thread, I realized that my suggestion had been previously given.  Sorry! 

Ok this is what I'm gonna use - that way I can just plug my fans in and good to go:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FNN9W7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the 4 fans I own already:
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-F12-PWM-4-Pin-Premium/dp/B00650P2ZC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=20O4FJJD8HKD0&keywords=noctua+120mm+fan&qid=1553825777&s=electronics&sprefix=noctu%2Celectronics%2C148&sr=1-4

I'm gonna sound test these after they are running because if I remember - they should be more quite than the AC Infinity fans.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:48 AM, MC39693 said:

For those using a cooling fan product e.g. AC Finity, do you find the fan noise bothersome or is all your gear in closed cabs?  My Denon doesn't run hot now, but ... will be connecting a lot more speakers in the future so am thinking of buying a AC Finity, but the gear will be "out in the open" where I don't want too much distraction / noise.

AC Infinity AIRCOM S6, Quiet... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW6CYEC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I’ve been using two of these smaller less expensive  units in auto mode and at lowest of 4 settings. If they sit in a visible spot might not look as good as bigger units that match width of components but mines are nearly hidden from sight. Very quiet and cools my Denon x4300 which sits on shelf open to front and back but less than 2 inches on top. In a dead quiet room you MIGHT hear it but then the fans wouldn’t be running. Another unit cools a Parasound A23 amp sitting behind glass door. They’re so good I’m thinking about a third unit for different receiver.