The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey D. Medwin

KT88 Direct-Coupled Design

I'm still waiting for someone to jump in and explain what a cathode bypass capacitor does. Or should i just google it.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, babadono said:

I'm still waiting for someone to jump in and explain what a cathode bypass capacitor does. Or should i just google it.

Very simply it provides a short to ground for AC voltage being amplified appearing on the cathode, and stores current, and  thus holds the cathode at a fairly constant DC level. It serves the exact same purpose in a single transistor amp stage, except it called an EMITTER bypass capacitor.

Yes by all means Google it. You will find much more detailed explanations. There are some very simple but nevertheless important calculations for choosing the bypass capacitor value. General rule of thumb is 1 magnitude less in frequency then the lowest frequency being amplified. So for a full bandwidth audio amp we shoot for bypass down to 2hz. Larger is not better either. It should be properly calculated.

Edited by Mr. EE

The Seriously Stereo website is the most useless audio site I've ever visited. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Dear Tube Hawk 6AQ5                                            ( great tube............. BTW !!!) 

Try not to let Mr E.E. / Gusser agitate you. 

He is probably a now- retired  E.E., who likely has nothing much to do, in his life. 

He likely spends much of his time on audio Forums, almost always fomenting derision .  Weren't there kids like this when you were in grade school,...... pre sixth grade??? 

He enjoys getting you to lose your cool.  Relax.  People are not dumb.  They fully read you - and people fully read him also, perfectly well.

The truth will become known,  prevail - for decades to come !!   

I am thankful,  to be able to "share" this, my build, up here. 

( I have the next two days off, so I can get this build more complete !! )

Best to ALL, 

Jeffrey

I am too busy sourcing parts for my next tube amp  build to worry about  Mr. Cut & Paste Wiki EE or anything he is doing in audio. I don't care.

If I post any projects here, it will be on my own thread , on my own terms.  

Honestly, I have to deal with idiots all day at work .

So coming here and jousting with SE neophytes is not worth the energy.

Some people will never get it as you know.

Good luck with your project .

TH 6AQ5

P3170666.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deang said:

The Seriously Stereo website is the most useless audio site I've ever visited. 

It is interesting that if one goes to the "technical information" on the Serious Stereo web site, one can find, for example,

"Carrying Handles are hot-forged Chromium-Steel with Grade 8 retainers held by Loctite ® threadlocking agents"

but no information is given about such things as the power output, the frequency response or the distortion.  I guess that is a pretty good indicator of where the priorities of the manufacturer lie.

3 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

( I have the next two days off, so I can get this build more complete !! ) 

Best to ALL,  

Jeffrey 

Yes, please finish it so we can be done with it...

• Like 2

Folks, I have too much to do to sort through this entire swamp and determine, if anyone, should be banned, warned, or moderated. But I am certainly about to refer the entire moderation team to it to review so if you wish to edit your posts now is the time.

Dave

14 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Folks, I have too much to do to sort through this entire swamp and determine, if anyone, should be banned, warned, or moderated. But I am certainly about to refer the entire moderation team to it to review so if you wish to edit your posts now is the time.

Dave

Ahhh this is the most entertaining thread I've seen since the old days of SET vs PP or cable threads. Let it ride... Nothing wrong with a bit of disagreement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, seti said:

Ahhh this is the most entertaining thread I've seen since the old days of SET vs PP or cable threads. Let it ride... Nothing wrong with a bit of disagreement.

=== and yet they’re still 82 pages short of the magical century mark. Rookies —

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, seti said:

Haven't done a thing, Ian, except respond to a report from a Forum member. I took a quick look and didn't much care for the content of a few posts but, as I said, I am worn out and don't want to make a bad judgment. Hence, just a suggestion that if anyone has doubts about what they've said here it's a good time to edit the before Chad and other mods review.

Yawl have fun and I leave it to the other mods to take a look as I am going to bed.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mallette said:

Dave

Dear Mallette, 

You may not have time and need to retire for the night, but I have spent at least 40 years of my audio life building tube amps.   I was wanting to share this different amplifier design subject with others for posterity - others interested in good audio.  Why ??  I am 74 1/2 years of age. 

You can see from my two referenced  published reviews ( by Six Moons / RMAF  2005, and Stereophile / RMAF  2016 ) , that the amp I DIY- emulate and present to all,  has audio performance that is worthy of one's attention. 

This lovely thread on a KT88 build was degraded by just one person, Mr.E.E. on this Forum, Gusser on Audio Asylum. 

He seems to have NO SE tube amp building experience, and he refuses to read background material I nicely offered.  From his very first post here, I KNEW and said to myself  " this E..E. is a lost cause, he is sadly un-teacable "   I did not say that up here, but my first response here was to post  " There is absolutely NOTHING I can do to help you ", very politely.   Within a week, I figured-out it was Gusser.   How ironic. 

Mr.E.E./Gusser, , is doing here EXACTLY what he does on Audio Asylum.  He is smart enough not to say things that will get him in posting trouble.  But he is also smart enough to " press people's buttons" such that they " lose it", and post what they should not. 

The subject I am trying to present here is FAR FAR more important, than me ( a DIY amp "experiment and listen" builder ) and Gusser (  an retired-nothing to do / unimaginative traditional EE ) being at odds with each other.  I am trying my very best to explain this new amplifier - build. 

I feel Gusser / Mr.EE , if he behaves, should be free to say what he wants.  I feel ( strongly - to be honest ) that I should be allowed to present this directly-coupled KT88 amp build up here, for posterity's sake. 

My suggestion, to your Moderator team  ( after me  knowing Mr..EE/ Gusser for maybe ten years ) , is to have each of us post on a a SEPARATE THREAD,. I will ( gladly ) not post on his new thread, and he can't post on this, my in-progress KT88 DC amp-build thread. 

Then, let the Klipsch Forum members, and the public all-over-the-world, can freely self-decide as to what threads they want to look at, and contribute to.   Will be interesting, to see the numbers, as to who reads what !! 

As to retracting what was said, in my first Klipsch Forum thread, on a different section of this Forum, I did a poor job, and got into trouble.  I regret that, and apologize.   I learned a lesson there !!

In this thread, ( where the subject represents all my amp building over 40 years ), I feel I have been very well behaved.  Deang had his " nose tweeked " in that earlier thread.  He can't understand how a tie wrap around a cap's circumference will obstruct energy flow in a film cap,.  My solution / suggestion to him - of using GE Silicon 2 will not do that.  I have heard the ill effects what I warned him of. I PMed him though Klipsch mail, tonight,  nicely asking, one on one, why he was still so hostile, and why can't we just leave each other alone,  and he may have just contacted you.  ' Hope not.  

Best to all,  good night.

Jeffrey D. Medwin

579829029_P1010016USE2.thumb.jpg.883a2018ab9dd769e8f0ecec95e5fe37.jpg

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mallette said:

Haven't done a thing, Ian, except respond to a report from a Forum member. I took a quick look and didn't much care for the content of a few posts but, as I said, I am worn out and don't want to make a bad judgment. Hence, just a suggestion that if anyone has doubts about what they've said here it's a good time to edit the before Chad and other mods review.

Yawl have fun and I leave it to the other mods to take a look as I am going to bed.

Dave

Mr. Medwin continues to accuse me of being some other identity he had problems with on another forum. Yet there is absolutely no proof or evidence of that.

Please inform him that is not appropriate. If he has a problem with my posts here, that's one thing. But publicly associating me with someone else on another forum is simply not acceptable to me or "Gusser" who ever he may be. There is a Gusser on both AA and DIY audio. I don't think he would appreciate this either.

"and Gusser (  an retired-nothing to do / unimaginative traditional EE )"

It is this very example of baseless assumptions that causes so much angst here. How does he know my age or retirement status? How does he know if my career and personal accomplishments are "unimaginative"?

Mr. Medwin has to realize that if he posts claims contrary to accepted theory and physics of the past 100 plus years, people are going to question it. It is up to him to provide credible data to back up such claims. That's all anyone is asking for here and he has yet to provide any credible data. Simply what he hears does not meet that criteria. When challenged with current accepted theory, all we get are personal insults. That is not the way professional peer review is conducted.

Edited by Mr. EE

7 hours ago, seti said:

Hell, I don't even know what their talking about and I find it entertaining!

Se vs pp? Is that it?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Tube Hawk 6AQ5 said:

I watched that video.  Your internet stalker is a pudgy dork, LOL.   He needs a gym membership and a personal trainer.  

How can you take someone like that seriously?    He would be open hand material at my audio dojo.   

I know, as you told us,  you are busy ordering your components for your next amplifier, but if you do have a spare moment, could you please spell out what technical advantages you think the $1K+ bypass capacitors in the Serious Stereo amplifier that you spoke of have over standard capacitors that would cost a fraction of the price?  Mr EE gave what one might call the "mainstream EE"'s answer to what qualities a bypass capacitor should have. I would still like to understand what advantages you think the $1K expenditure would confer, and why it couldn't be achieved with a much cheaper standard component.

13 hours ago, Mr. EE said:

Well again I posted several examples of my experience, at your initial request BTW. You have shown us nothing here except your shilling for Serious Stereo products.

We'll let the readers judge for themselves. I have nothing against SE amps for those who like them. I do have a problem with the promotion of grossly overpriced SE amps who's superior advertised attributes are built on a foundation of junk science. 

well said

9 hours ago, Marvel said:

Yes, please finish it so we can be done with it...

well said

Locked for review.