What Is It About Klipsch?

jazzer

I will seek out a set of Chorus II. Actually I have been but they are not easy to find in the condition I want and/or they will not be shipped.  There are a LOT of horn speakers  I would like to audition. But I am through buying speakers without having the chance to listen to them any more. I have been gravely disappointed at least twice (Belle and less so, Cornwall III). 

1 minute ago, kink56 said:

I will seek out a set of Chorus II. Actually I have been but they are not easy to find in the condition I want and/or they will not be shipped.  There are a LOT of horn speakers  I would like to audition. But I am through buying speakers without having the chance to listen to them any more. I have been gravely disappointed at least twice (Belle and less so, Cornwall III). 

A lesson most of us learn the hard way. Bet you can fine owners here on the forum if you ask in a new thread.

I was fifth row center to see KISS 1975! My first hit of Purple Barrel too! Now THAT was a show! In fact, we were ALL standing on our front row seats, except at one point I looked over and my concert buddies were sitting, and they tugged on me to sit too, and when I did I looked up at the most beautiful YOUNG LADY'S SHORT SKIRTED UNDERWEAR CLAD BOTTOM, and she looked over her shoulder and just SMILED!

Now THAT was a GREAT CONCERT!! :-)

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchat and Rock-n-Roller From WAY BACK!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, glens said:

Ronnie and Rick?  Gotta check that out! 

Yes, BOTH of them!  That studio album (They Only Come Out at Night) was the "transition" album from the previous "Edgar Winter White Trash Band" to the "Edgar Winter Group"...so due to that, BOTH of them were involved in its recording..along with Johnny Winter, even though he may not be in the "credits" section of the album!  Change-ups in personnel during that album's delay between studio work and pressing is what changed the name of the band...as both Ronnie and Rick began to work on their OWN albums, with SOME of the material from the Edgar Winter Group album studio sessions also being included on their own albums....When you listen to the tracks on "They Only Come Out At Night", if you are FAMILIAR with Rick's and Ronnie's guitar styles you will be able to pick them out on each track, believe it or not!  Try it!  The album credits really don't tell the story behind the studio sessions that the album came from!

• Like 1

You know, I looked up the album "They Only Come Out at Night" on Wikipedia, and I had and played the crap out of that album back in the late '70s.  It's not one of the 30 or so I saved, however...

1 hour ago, JohnKuthe said:

I was fifth row center to see KISS 1975!

Kiss was my first "mainline" concert experience, I think it was '77, and we didn't have seats in rows or anything like that, it was "festival seating".  I didn't get to see much of the opening act, Uriah Heep, since I'd met and hooked up with a hot little blonde number, but I did abandon the encounter when Kiss took the stage.  A couple years later when Kiss came back through the area I went with a couple of the same friends to see them again, and it was a whole 'nother experience.  Parents with their kids and all the comic book junk everywhere.  Couldn't even smoke a joint without getting dirty looks from the parents...

One thing that was still the same, however, was the stacks of JBLs out front providing the sound!

• Haha 1

Saw Johnny Winter and Rick Derringer in Davenport, IA in early '70s, on a Sat. afternoon at a baseball stadium. Great concert, blue sky, Mississippi River in the background. I think I went straight... 🙄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Saw Johnny Winter and Rick Derringer in Davenport, IA in early '70s, on a Sat. afternoon at a baseball stadium. Great concert, blue sky, Mississippi River in the background. I think I went straight... 🙄

IMHO, you are MOST LIKELY NOT remembering correctly!🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glens said:

Kiss was my first "mainline" concert experience, I think it was '77, and we didn't have seats in rows or anything like that, it was "festival seating".  I didn't get to see much of the opening act, Uriah Heep, since I'd met and hooked up with a hot little blonde number, but I did abandon the encounter when Kiss took the stage.  A couple years later when Kiss came back through the area I went with a couple of the same friends to see them again, and it was a whole 'nother experience.  Parents with their kids and all the comic book junk everywhere.  Couldn't even smoke a joint without getting dirty looks from the parents...

One thing that was still the same, however, was the stacks of JBLs out front providing the sound!

Other than a visit to a cousin's place in 1969 or 1970...in the outskirts of San Francisco....My first mainline concert experience was to see Sly and the Family Stone at Little Rock in the Spring of 1971 when I was a senior in High School.  The event was tied to my reason for being in Little Rock to begin with...our High School Boy's Basketball team playing in the final game of the state tournament (which they WON!).  If my father had known that a concert was part of the deal he would never have let me go to the game!!!

The lead-in band for the REAL show was BLOODROCK!!!  When Bloodrock left the stage we all waited and waited...waited more and more..then FINALLY somebody came out and said SLy was "sick" and they wouldn't be playing...we all figured he was probably fried and drunk as usual!

So as the disappointed concert-goers BEGAN to head for the exit doors, that same guy cane back out and told us that Bloodrock had agreed to come back out and play awhile...so we all turned around and headed back to where we had been!!  Bloodrock was not really able to play their signature song due to the short time they were SCHEDULED to be on stage, so they went into a 30-minute rendition of DOA!!!  And afterwards ROCKED the HOUSE DOWN!!! Jamming and playing other songs they hadn't yet recorded!!!   What coulda been a disaster was TOTALLY turned around!  Long live BLOODROCK! (kinda too late for that now!) 

My NEXT concert was at same place in Little Rock, right after I graduated high school in '71....The Leon Russell Show!...shortly after the album "Carney" came out!   GREAT CONCERT!!!!!!!

Klipsch started turning things around on "JBL stacks" about that time (1977)...when the MCM 1900 system hit the market!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

in Davenport, IA in early '70s, on a Sat. afternoon at a baseball stadium. Great concert, blue sky, Mississippi River in the background. 

I went to the "Mississippi River Jam II" at that same (had to have been) locale!  Drove down from Beloit, WI, picking up my date in Clinton, IA on the way.  TKO (missed most of them and had never heard of them anyway), AC/DC, Nazareth, UFO (the reason for going, but Schenker had just quit the band and he was the reason for the reason, grrr!), and Heart.  A long hot day...

I hadn't been to a "big" show in many years when I treated a friend and his wife to Amy Grant (they were huge fans, me not so much if at all).  I was alarmed when we entered Market Square Arena and wondered where the hell the P.A. was.  Just a couple line arrays hanging both sides of the stage, not the huge stacks I'd expected.  They certainly got the job done, though, and Amy and her band really put on a good show.  P.A. has evolved in a way at least the roadies have got to appreciate.  There's still multiple semis bringing equipment but the ratio of sound to other stuff is a bit different.

I would stay somewhat on the fence to any speakers a person has never owned/had in your room-set up. A bunch of hours in a store imo gives next to nothing of a real opinion of the speaker. In a persons room running everything (tv,movies,low levels, high levels, back ground sound, gaming.ext.ect) a few weeks -mo minimum. Thats a real opinion.  Im guilty of it too  (giving opinions on speakers i haven't owned). Not an excuse but I just was to green to know any better. But that part atleast is crystal clear to me now. Judging in a different room is like trying to pick out colors blind folded. 

4 hours ago, glens said:

You know, I looked up the album "They Only Come Out at Night" on Wikipedia, and I had and played the crap out of that album back in the late '70s.  It's not one of the 30 or so I saved, however...

Yeah, KISS became Candy *** Rock! After Hotter Than Hell album! "Beth" was a JOKE! :-) First, Second and the Live album  from that era was MY KISS!

By the end of the 1970's I'd gone full tilt into Punk Rock! By 1978/1979 I SOLD over 1/2 my paltry record collection and bought a couple of great Punk records including a $1 copy of Lou Reed's 'Metal Machine Music'! And NO I never listened to all 4 sides! 😉

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and RocknRoller from WAY BACK!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

Yeah, KISS became Candy *** Rock! After Hotter Than Hell album! "Beth" was a JOKE! :-) First, Second and the Live album  from that era was MY KISS!

By the end of the 1970's I'd gone full tilt into Punk Rock! By 1978/1979 I SOLD over 1/2 my paltry record collection and bought a couple of great Punk records including a $1 copy of Lou Reed's 'Metal Machine Music'!

'Live' was the current album (I think) when I first saw KISS, and in any event was the most recent I owned. 

I watched just yesterday a program on AXSTV about KISS.  They said "Beth" was thrown on the B side of (whatever) single so the A side would get air time, but "B" proved more popular!  Go figure...

I brought a CD of Lou's "Rock 'n Roll Animal" to a buddy's place once.  He had his speakers aimed out the 2nd floor window at a lake "cottage".  We sat on the deck below, maybe a couple beers and a J; when the album ended, he turned toward me and sincerely said "Thank you!"

Lou was great, RIP.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had some thoughts regarding this topic on the way home from Hope Sunday. One of the moderators had mentioned that it kind of hurt some Klipsch employees feelings when stuff is switched out and other things put in place to "improve" the sound. I was also going over a conversation I had with Roy and decided the following. Lots of Harley riders and muscle car owners buy certain basic factory items. They like them as they are but have a world of customized changes they can make with aftermarket parts. Go faster sound cooler look better according to taste. If that basic very capable and desirable base product was not there then neither would be the fan club of people who want something that is a bit different. I like to tinker and for me taking a great basic thing and being able to play with it fascinates me and yields personal satisfaction in the end result when the pieces all work right. I don't know of any other speaker company that affords buyers such an opportunity with a huge base of users who tinker with things and make the knowledge available.

There is also the test of time and the only other thing I see around here that has a sizable loyal following is old Altec and their group of tinkerers and restorers.  I have never heard many of these fru-fru speakers like $100,000 Wilson's nor any Dali's but in general those that have heard say an MCM 1900 and the fancy pants stuff would rather save tons of cash and have the real life MCM experience and not some pure tonal experience. I trust their judgement and would travel to hear Klipsch but not the other gear. Maybe this is a narrow outlook  but I am to the point where what I have is good enough I don't much care what others have any more. And it was built with Klipsch or derived from Klipsch.

All in all I would rather be in the place that tinkers with tweeters and capacitors and not $5,000 cables and $250 fuses since the owners are terrified of doing mods to their expensive boxes. I want something I had a hand in doing and not a sacrosanct audio shrine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Dave A said:

I had some thoughts regarding this topic on the way home from Hope Sunday. One of the moderators had mentioned that it kind of hurt some Klipsch employees feelings when stuff is switched out and other things put in place to "improve" the sound. I was also going over a conversation I had with Roy and decided the following. Lots of Harley riders and muscle car owners buy certain basic factory items. They like them as they are but have a world of customized changes they can make with aftermarket parts. Go faster sound cooler look better according to taste. If that basic very capable and desirable base product was not there then neither would be the fan club of people who want something that is a bit different. I like to tinker and for me taking a great basic thing and being able to play with it fascinates me and yields personal satisfaction in the end result when the pieces all work right. I don't know of any other speaker company that affords buyers such an opportunity with a huge base of users who tinker with things and make the knowledge available.

There is also the test of time and the only other thing I see around here that has a sizable loyal following is old Altec and their group of tinkerers and restorers.  I have never heard many of these fru-fru speakers like $100,000 Wilson's nor any Dali's but in general those that have heard say an MCM 1900 and the fancy pants stuff would rather save tons of cash and have the real life MCM experience and not some pure tonal experience. I trust their judgement and would travel to hear Klipsch but not the other gear. Maybe this is a narrow outlook  but I am to the point where what I have is good enough I don't much care what others have any more. And it was built with Klipsch or derived from Klipsch.

All in all I would rather be in the place that tinkers with tweeters and capacitors and not $5,000 cables and $250 fuses since the owners are terrified of doing mods to their expensive boxes. I want something I had a hand in doing and not a sacrosanct audio shrine.

Well, I think PWK put it best:

First off, I don't even consider myself a member of the general public. I know that my own requirements in a loudspeaker are those I've discussed. Judging from what contact I have with the general public, though, I conclude that 99 percent of the general public doesn't even know what accuracy of reproduction is. My company is for the one percent composed of perfectionists who buy these expensive speakers. PWK

I too have NEVER considered myself a member of the General Public. I may not be as good as SOME select other humans, but I am definitely better than MOST!

And yes my BIG satisfaction after recently functionally installing the Volume Control was "I did NOT BLOW UP my system!" :-)

John Kuthe...

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, Dave A said:

I do believe there are options in between. :) I guess that I lean towards "a sacrosanct audio shrine," but don't spend anywhere near that kinda money on cables and have never changed a fuse.😎 That said, I have been to 3 pilgrimages and hope everyone had a good time at this one.

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I do believe there are options in between. :) I guess that I lean towards "a sacrosanct audio shrine," but don't spend anywhere near that kinda money on cables and have never changed a fuse.😎 That said, I have been to 3 pilgrimages and hope everyone had a good time at this one.

Klipsch fills either need.