What Is It About Klipsch?

jazzer

8 hours ago, Joseph C said:

I put on "Fall on Me" by Andrea Bocelli...we sat there, listening in awe.  She understood. 

Andrea Bocelli is an incredible performer. While I have listened to him for years, my wife found the video on YT of A.B. and Ed Sheeran singing Sheeran's song "Perfect". Such a great duet.

Bruce

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:45 PM, glens said:

Oh, part of "not too bright now" might involve ear-aging :)

Could be, but...

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:51 PM, Joseph C said:

I listed to some Klipsch speakers (don't recall the model) about 15 or so years ago and I had the same impression, they were too bright.  As such, I have written the brand off since then.  Looking back, it could have been poor source material, poor cables, or poor equipment that contributed to the sound.  In the last 20 years, I've gone through a bunch of "wife friendly" speakers (PSB, B&W, MartinLogan, etc) looking for the full-bodied sound that I remember hearing from my step-father's JBLs or even the Fisher speakers that I bought 30 years ago. Somewhere I stumbled across an article discussing audio components that are still made in the USA and link-diving lead me to some great reviews discussing the Forte III.  I was just about to bite the bullet on some B&W 702's but I figured I'd give the Forte's a listen first.  OMG, best decision ever.  They are the perfect loudspeaker IMHO.  This is the sound I've been searching for, articulate, full, powerful.  For me, listening to music is an emotional experience.  I want to feel the emotion and passion of the performer.  My wife kept asking why we needed new speakers and I tried to articulate what was missing from the various speakers that we've owned, they've all lacked command of the music and clear delineation of instruments and vocals when things get complex.  When we got the Forte's home and dialed-in, I put on "Fall on Me" by Andrea Bocelli...we sat there, listening in awe.  She understood.

My guess is both the listening session was flawed or the speakers he was comparing the Fortes to weren't the same quality could be true...Lower end Klipsch don't sound like upper-end Klipsch, especially when you crank 'em. 😎

• Like 1

Did I say this before?

Of all the qualities of a speaker, imaging is the least important, IMO.  In a live classical concert, the imaging isn't too good, unless you are sitting very close.

In order of importance, from most important to least important, IMO:

• Low distortion
  • Instruments sound like themselves, yet the integrated, blended whole of the orchestra sounds close to the way it does "live."
  • Realistic Dynamics, including micro-dynamics.  Capable of instantaneous peaks of 115 dB at the listening position.  A single Klipschorn, in a room the size of mine, needs about 120 watts -- for just an instant -- to produce such a peak, while a typical speaker (90 dB/1w/1m) requires over 1,000 watts -- for just an instant -- to produce that brief peak.
  • Frequency response
  • Imaging

My Klipschorns image fairly well.  With the room lights off even better! 

My Klipschorns image fairly well.  With the room lights off even better! 

I agree. And that was one of the concerns I had that kept me on the fence about klipschorns for a long time. It turned out to be an unfounded fear. Laterally, they image as well as anything I've heard. They don't have quite the front to back depth and imaging of some of the better speakers I have owned. But what they do so well makes that very unimportant.

Shakey