WTB: NOSValves NBS preamp

Audible Nectar

23 minutes ago, Schu said:

I prefer one without a phono section myself. 6dj8 or super tube?

I want a phono but don't need an LOMC. MM would be fine here. And I would do 6dj8 family as I have plenty of stash NOS in that family of tubes. Not difficult to have Craig do the switch from 6H30  - OTOH having a phono added to a linestage only unit is apparently much more involved.

On 3/24/2019 at 11:11 AM, Audio Flynn said:

An NBS would be nice.

Craig gave me a listen a few years back when I could not afford one.😎

I wasn't able to buy one either - personal situation made it impossible for me to buy one when they were in production.

True story - I for some time used "NOSValvesNBSPreampXXXXX...." in various configurations as online account IDs/passwords/etc - it was one way that I had already committed to the idea that someday I would be in a position to place an order for one - or that not being possible to post for the WTB and be in a position to afford it and pay for it. I have had this in my "gotta get one" list for a long time, and someday, it will happen. Can't say how soon, but someday.......that last detail is in someone else's hands.

But I found everything else that made my audio life so good here, and I don't expect this will be any different....

I have always wondered just how many were made.

Let's just pick an arbitrary number... say 30 units. Some of those were upgraded, some were 6dj8, some were 6h30, some had phono stages, some had output capacitor upgrades... Where are they all?

One would think given the laws of averages at least one or two a year might come up for sale, but it's just not so.

I am also curious... have you asked Craig if he would entertain making you one. I know the cases are probably gone, but that's only part of the equation.

I would like to ask him to make another one with specific changes, but I like mine now.

12 minutes ago, Schu said:

I am also curious... have you asked Craig if he would entertain making you one. I know the cases are probably gone, but that's only part of the equation.

I would like to ask him to make another one with specific changes, but I like mine now.

I have. He's out of the chassis, which is what complicates him making new ones. He would have to order up another 25ish to get them done (a considerable investment), and according to Craig he's six months out on vintage gear builds as it is.

I wouldn't doubt if some day he makes more (not his words but just my guess), but right now isn't in the cards. Trust me I've talked to him on the topic 🙂

• Like 1

Total of 21 built counting 2 prototypes. 19 of the final production version were built of those 2 were line stage only. Not sure how many of the phono stage versions had LOMC maybe 6 or so. Gary Powers has Prototype #2 and I have Prototype #1. I have one unbuilt chassis still on hand and that baby is mine! No one has made a high enough offer to pry that one away from me yet LOL!!!   

I seriously doubt I'll ever order another batch of Preamp or amplifier chassis...... I just don't want to work as hard is it takes to keep up with both the vintage and new production side of this business anymore. I have enough metal to build a couple pairs of VRD monoblocks and maybe 5 stereo versions when those are gone I'm done with that too!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, NOSValves said:

I have one unbuilt chassis still on hand and that baby is mine! No one has made a high enough offer to pry that one away from me yet LOL!!!   

PM me with your must have price....ya just never know.

I have one of the two line stage NBS preamps along with a pair of black transformer VRDs...........all in matching Hickory.  :)

The NBS is the only one Craig installed a tape monitor loop on after heavy begging.  So it can be easily used with an EQ or processor.