Onkyo A-9110 Integrated Amp

Bonzo

I was looking for a simple, no frills integrated amplifier for a den system. I don't need a lot of power, wanted a sub out and, of course, remote control. I read some good reviews of the Onkyo A-9010 which has digital inputs, phono stage and a line out but it was being phased out. Then I stumbled upon an ad for its replacement, the new Onkyo A-9110. Advertised as strictly analog, which I prefer, with dedicated sub out and phono with remote. I decided to order one with a 30 day money back guarantee.

I have been using if for about a week now hooked up to Boston Acoustics VRM60 speakers and matching PV1000 sub. I have to say, I am very impressed with the overall quality of the sound. The phono stage isn't the greatest but respectable. It produces lots of detail and good punch, especially when using Onkyo's Phase Matching Bass function which is basically a modern Loudness function. It also has a Direct feature for the purists out there. The Direct function not only bypasses the tone controls but the sub out as well. That is the default setting that can be changed by using the Setup feature. You can also change the speaker impedance setting from 8 ohm, default, to 4 ohm.

It's advertised at 50 watts per channel, fine print is 4 ohms, 30 watts at 8 ohms. I think that is a bit misleading but, if you do your research...........It is a class A/B amp which Onkyo refers to as WRAT (Wide Range Amplification Technology). I do prefer A/B amps to the D'd that I have listened to. I will say my experience with D amps is limited.

If you're looking for a no frills, very good sounding integrated that won't break the bank, I would recommend giving the A-9110 a try.

Adendum: This is a post I made on another Forum. I am just really impressed with this little amp. I re-posted it here as I decided to try it with my newly acquired Heresy I's. Once again, this amp has performed way above my expectations. It drives the Heresy's better with more detail and subtley than my restored Marantz 2238b which is no slouch. The Phase Matching Bass function ads some nice low end without sacrificing the mids as some loudness circuits do. I haven't had this amp very long so the jury's still out but, for under 300 clams, it's going to be hard to beat IMHO.

• Like 1

I have told this story before but the best my Heresys ever sounded was paired up to a legendary Luxman R-117 stereo receiver.  It just did everything right.  I sold it, with much regret but was immediately pleasantly surprised when my not currently in use Integra DTM-40.4 stereo receiver was plugged into the Luxman's place.  The sound was phenomenal.  Fast and punchy, very neutral midrange, and great detail.  It did not possess the raw power and limitless dynamics/headroom of the Luxman but in the room it was setup, it did not need it.  

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:10 PM, Bonzo said:

I have been using if for about a week now hooked up to Boston Acoustics VRM60 speakers and matching PV1000 sub. I have to say, I am very impressed with the overall quality of the sound. The phono stage isn't the greatest but respectable. It produces lots of detail and good punch

If you're looking for a no frills, very good sounding integrated that won't break the bank, I would recommend giving the A-9110 a try.

I am just really impressed with this little amp. I re-posted it here as I decided to try it with my newly acquired Heresy I's. Once again, this amp has performed way above my expectations. It drives the Heresy's better with more detail and subtley than my restored Marantz 2238b which is no slouch. The Phase Matching Bass function ads some nice low end without sacrificing the mids as some loudness circuits do. I haven't had this amp very long so the jury's still out but, for under 300 clams, it's going to be hard to beat IMHO.

None of this surprises me at all.  For some reason Onkyo/Integra often gets a bad rap for music sound quality but my experiences have been far from that.

Enjoy your new toy.

Bill

I am with you. I have a late 80's Integra dual cassette deck and 6 Disc CD changer. The deck works perfectly, the changer has issues with the drawer but once in place, it sounds great! Have working remotes and the boxes for both as well. I  have always been an Onkyo/Integra fan.