Older La Scalas

Q-14

😊 I hope I'm not in the wrong place to ask a couple of questions, if so please direct me to the appropriate area if not.

I have just acquired a pair of older La Scalas from a brother in law that recently passed.

Not quite sure what year they were from but the Klipsch folder I found had  a print date of '77.

The serial numbers are sequential, 145917 and 14918, they are LS BR which from reading your forum they are Birch/raw.

He ran them for years without finishing them but they have now been stained dark, but no clear on top, probably a good thing for the next owner.

They have AA crossovers, but one of the K77 tweets is missing, I remember he said it died back in the 80s, I told him what to do with it but I'm guessing he sent it out to be repaired and never got it back, gone anyway, I've got a NIB T35 but I'm not going to  use it on these peices.

I have not done anything to them other than a quick cleanup, I really don't want to put the smoke to them without replacing the caps first.

I guess my question is, should I spend the time and money to re-cap these and put in a new K77/T35 before selling them or just advertise them "as is"

Thanks

welcome to the forum

the 5 in the serial number is actually the letter R for 1977 or the letter S which stands for 1978

you don't need to replace the caps if your selling them but i would look to put in a matching tweeter and you can find them regularly on e-bay or someone on here

• Like 1

They are located just north of Cedar Rapids Iowa.

I don't have any problem with re-capping, I've built, improved, and modified many speaks over the last 50 years, I have no need to make a mess of these like you say, everybody has their own likes.

I'm not sure what vintage or how to match up what's in the other cabinet for a K77, the one that is there looks to have a good sized alnico magnet.

Thanks for the replies, I'm guessing they are probably worth around $750 the way they are?

You were right the S I quoted in the serial numbers is actually an S, I'll attach more photos, hate to take up room on this site with them but here they are.

As you can see the cabinets were stained but not finished off with a clear so the finish needs lots of love.

Edited by Q-14
Just wanted to save space on your site, speaks sold

In any case if you keep them or sell them, yes to replacing the K-77 tweeter.  They are the easiest to sell when they are plug and play.

My vote is "no" to a recap.  It won't add anything to the resale value and most buyers want unmolested speakers.  Add $100 to your desired selling price then immediately knock off $100 when the Buyer asks for a lower price because they need recapped.

After the tweeter is replaced then do a super job cleaning them up, take lots of pictures then put them up FS on your favorite site(s).

GLWYS

• Like 1

K 77 tweeters are available all day long on e bay. Singles for around $100, pairs for as low as $170 delivered. Members here, who tend to acquire surplus stock, may give a better deal, all ya have to do is ask in the garage sale section of the forum:

"WTB round magnet K 77 tweeter"

put the tweeter in, rub on some Watco furniture oil, and have yourself a fine looking and sounding set of speakers. 

I do do not know what other gear you have, but I enjoy the heck out of my vintage (1978) La Scala set.

in any event, give them a listen before dispositioning. Cheers.

• Like 1