Chorus II Too Big?

Frank Booth

I'm looking for new(old) speakers and there are a pair of Klipsch Chorus II for sale in my area. In reading reviews/opinions they may not work in my small space. What is your opinion of this option?

Room is 16' deep, 12' wide and 8' ceiling. The end of the room opens into the kitchen. Opening is about the size of a double door. (Not much in the way of room treatments for sound.)

The gear: McIntosh, MX110 preamp - MC 30 monblocks - Chorus II?

I've played old Heresy's in past and moved on. Have thought about the new Heresy IIIs. Have played lots of different speakers and know all the options but not heard Chorus II.

Just learned an important fact. They are in fact Chorus I. Significant?

1 hour ago, pallpoul said:

I had Chorus II, and sold them. I much prefer the CW III's. For your space you'd love it. 

I've thought of the Cornwall IIIs but physically I think they would be too big with all the other stuff going on. (If I spend that kind of money I might rather go for Altec Lansing options.) Plus do they really need to be pushed into the corner against the wall? I have vents in the corners and don't want to cover them.

16 minutes ago, Frank Booth said:

Just learned an important fact. They are in fact Chorus I. Significant?

I know opinions vary but I've had the Chorus 1's and 2's side by side a few times in different rooms and my take each time was that overall they were far more alike than different, each having their own pluses and minuses. I prefer the 1's bass response as it seems more "real" to me with bass guitar and kick drums, the 2's can be over-bearing and a little boomy if not properly placed or in the wrong room. Placement is much easier with the 1's because of front porting.

3 minutes ago, Frank Booth said:

BTW I know the other options out there. I was asking about these specific speakers because they are currently available locally in good shape and decent price.

I'd say grab them, they're one of the finer Klipsch speakers IMO, freshen up the crossovers with new capacitors and buy the titanium tweeter diaphragms from Crites and you'll be good to go, really don't think new Cornwall III's will sound 4 times better like the cost.

• Like 1

Go for the Ch2's.  Lots of us have large speakers in smallish rooms, they sound great.

What is the Seller asking for the Ch2's?  The average price for Ch2's in Good Condition is $737 according to my Heritage Prices spreadsheet.

22 minutes ago, Frank Booth said:

So the closeness of the horns to the listeners in the room won't be too "harsh" or "bright" as I hear as a complaint by people who don't like Klipsch heritage type speakers?

I have even run Zu Audio speakers before and they were a little fatiguing after awhile.

There are so many variables like room acoustics and treatments, equipment matching source material how loud you listen type of music etc its really hard to say what you'll experience in your space if you get them at a good price try them out and if they're not a right fit for you re-sell them simple as that.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2019 at 3:16 PM, jjptkd said:

get them at a good price try them out and if they're not a right fit for you re-sell them simple as that.

I bought them. Not sure I like them. They do sound good with jazz and most blues at lower volume, other genres are hit and miss. At other volumes it is like listening to music from a bullhorn; harsh and kind of muddles all together. I'll continue to experiment with placement. I don't hate them. They just don't match the pleasure I get from my acoustic suspension speakers which I'm hoping I'm just used to. Also I doubt my gear has anything to do with it.

On 3/23/2019 at 7:40 PM, jjptkd said:

freshen up the crossovers with new capacitors

I'll get the titanium tweeters. As for crossovers should I just freshen them up with new caps or should I purchase new complete crossovers?

14 minutes ago, Frank Booth said:

I bought them. Not sure I like them. They do sound good with jazz and most blues at lower volume, other genres are hit and miss. At other volumes it is like listening to music from a bullhorn; harsh and kind of muddles all together. I'll continue to experiment with placement. I don't hate them. They just don't match the pleasure I get from my acoustic suspension speakers which I'm hoping I'm just used to. Also I doubt my gear has anything to do with it.

As much as I liked my Fortes and Quartets and the Chorus 1s that I heard pretty often, I really do like the acoustic suspension Heresy 1s and Heresy 2s better.

24 minutes ago, Frank Booth said:

I'll get the titanium tweeters. As for crossovers should I just freshen them up with new caps or should I purchase new complete crossovers?

First make sure this has not been performed yet.

25 minutes ago, Frank Booth said:

I'll continue to experiment with placement.

Experiment with toe-in also.  Sometimes just a few degrees to the right or left can make a huge difference.

Bill

sorry to hear you arent very impressed with them.  as was mentioned above, there are many variables that will determine how any speaker sounds, your current non horn speakers are likely not as efficient as klipsch so you are hearing things your ears are not used to.  you may need to treat the room some as well.

the x-overs could be degrading from age contributing to some of the harshness youre hearing.  new caps may improve that if the original caps are falling out of spec, or you may not notice any audible difference as many that have changed caps have commented.  worth a try to change them & the tweet diaphrams, but many people also say the TI tweets can be harsh or make what you are describing worse than the stock diaphrams.  the x-overs only need the caps replaced to improve the sound, if they are functioning ok you dont need complete x-overs. & they don't need to be a certain brand cap most people on here suggest, you can use any decent quality capacitor, or spend big bucks for the boutique caps if you think you can hear a difference.  

with that being said, i own & have owned many klipsch speakers including the big heritage, as well as many other models from KG's to epics, & while i enjoy these klipsch speakers for certain music/recordings i will say they do have their issues, klipsch is one of the few speakers that people modify/upgrade/change so often to get a "better" sound from.  play around with your chorus2 & see if you can get them to sound how you want without too much effort & money... if they dont work out for you, you can easily resell them & probably even make a few bucks! 

2 minutes ago, willland said:

First make sure this has not been performed yet.

These are bone stock from the late 1980's, bought from original owner, said he never did any upgrades

3 minutes ago, willland said:

acoustic suspension Heresy 1s and Heresy 2s

Interesting, are you saying Heresy's are considered acoustic suspension? I know they aren't ported but also didn't believe they were "acoustic suspension."

4 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

your current non horn speakers are likely not as efficient as klipsch

I understand the issue with efficiency, I've just been searching for a good efficient (vintage style) speaker to run with my McIntosh MC30's without spending gobbs of money on something like Tannoys or Altecs.

10 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

the x-overs only need the caps replaced to improve the sound

Thanks for the advice. That will be one of the next steps.

11 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

you can easily resell them

If I do sell; is this forum a good place to list them?

4 hours ago, Frank Booth said:

If I do sell; is this forum a good place to list them?

It's the best place to list them.

4 hours ago, Frank Booth said:

Interesting, are you saying Heresy's are considered acoustic suspension? I know they aren't ported but also didn't believe they were "acoustic suspension."

Sealed cabinet.

Acoustic Suspension Loudspeakers

Acoustic suspension (sealed box) loudspeakers, which are also known as infinite baffle loudspeakers, use cabinets that are sealed enclosures to shape the frequency response of transducers (drivers) with appropriate "parameters." In an acoustic suspension design loudspeaker the volume of air in the sealed cabinet is used to control the motion of the cone and to shape the driver's frequency response, particularly bass response.

Bill