Rare Klipsch Model H700 Speakers from 1960's "Pre-Heresy" museum quality

314carpenter

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

The only thing "RARE" is the label itself designating them as H-700's...and that was just a stop-gap nomenclature anyway!  (respectful snip, just wanted to reference the post)

First, thank you for documenting that story.  I've added it to the Heritage Prices spreadsheet in my Notes section, and I converted the Heritage Codes thread to a MS Word document so I could update info.  I've also added your complete story ^^^ to that document.

Can you place the beginning of the story in time, with a date?  I think that will be helpful to future readers.  Thanks.  -Dave

1 hour ago, whell said:

Fascinating read, thank you for that. 

Does this describe the reason that the "Reference Series" and most of the newer, later-day speaker designs from Klipsch have been two - way designs - even though they're not fully horn loaded? 

You're welcome...as for the QUESTION above: The answer is yes, to some extent!  Remember, there are more to those designs than just being a two-way...foot-print is a major factor consideration for those along with the performance! 

The truth actually is this:  You cannot get the exact sound of big old horns without having big old horns!  PERIOD!  So what do you do, instead?  GET AS CLOSE TO IT AS POSSIBLE, using something with a smaller foot-print and trickery!  Plain and simple!  In order to do that it requires different designs...which most often depend upon MORE drivers being invo0lved than just one "per way" when you are trying to replicate a speaker that "HAS MORE WAYS", each having only one single driver in each of those "ways"....., and/or porting and/or active or passive radiators used to reflect sound from room surfaces...the reflection/reverb game!  Bose has built its entire corporation on this kind of speaker building concept!...from DAY ONE!  The big advantage Klipsch has taken is using a single horn lens to actually produce the equivalent of two different horns using one horn lens...TRACTRIX!!  They continued developing this concept along with others who have, and will continue to...develop it!

PWK NEEDED for one horn to be developed which could do two things, basically!  It had to extend above the range of the tweeter in the K-horn, and it also had to extend lower and into the upper range of the K-horn bass bin.  That way, all he needed to do was create a bass horn that went lower than the K-horn bass bin, but did not need to even go as high as the K-horn bass did...in the frequency range! Then he could take a known horn design concept and adjust the horn lens design for reproducing the new lower over-all frequency band required to end up with a two-way speaker that would out-perform his three-way speaker!  After that part was accomplished...it was just a matter of tweaking to straighten out the response curves!  Roy finally convinced PWK that passive crossovers had evolved as far as they could  possibly evolve with current technology...and PWK need not wait longer because active crossovers could do so much more to straighten out response curves now-a-days...with the added benefit that the right ones were adjustable enough to make up for many room issues the speakers could possibly overcome when in the rooms!   So they went that route!  And the Jubilee was finally born!

This tractrix horn concept is what PWK was waiting for...in order to create the NEXT -TO-THE-LAST goal of his life: a two-way fully horn-loaded speaker that could out-perfom his three-way K-horn...using the electronic crossover was the icing on the cake...PWK waited over a half of a century for that to happen!...and it almost happened too late for him to hear it!  Think about for a few minutes!!

NONE of us may live long enough to see PWK's ULTIMATE LAST and FINAL SPEAKER DESIGN GOAL to happen!   So,  we should just revel in the fact that PWK got half-way to it before he passed-away!...with the Jubilee!

Here is the ULTIMATE GOAL of old-school speaker designers:  A one-way speaker that can do it all!  PERIOD!  Accurate, effiicient,..you name it!...in a one-way design using just one driver and horn!! covering the entire audible range and further in each direction!  With perfect measured frequency response!  I'm now 66 years old, and I will never live to see that...I doubt that any of us will!  BUT that is the goal!  IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE GOAL!!

34 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

First, thank you for documenting that story.  I've added it to the Heritage Prices spreadsheet in my Notes section, and I converted the Heritage Codes thread to a MS Word document so I could update info.  I've also added your complete story ^^^ to that document.

Can you place the beginning of the story in time, with a date?  I think that will be helpful to future readers.  Thanks.  -Dave

I really don't have the documentation to give you that info...pretty sure that JRH does, though!  Knowing him, he probably has it pretty-much memorized by now! LOL!

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...