New toy thanks to youthmans contest

Boilermaker86

I won the $200 gift card from youthmans channel a few months back and upgraded from my Onkyo 805 to the NAD 777 v 3. 

Right out of the box it was clear, balanced and did great with the highs on my Klipsch and my room.  Love the fans at the bottom, runs super cool compared to the Onkyo 805 which could fry an egg.

Hardest part of the set up was syncing to my computer to confirm I had the latest firmware...after that, set up was quick. 

I ran Dirac. Didn’t notice a huge difference because out of the box it sounded great to begin with. Noticed difference instantly from the Onkyo 805 because the NAD got the center and surround channels right from the beginning. 

So far, awesome purchase. Thought I would share.

6F3E2AE8-9EDD-4758-9B03-1483F814C655.jpeg

FA0AD82C-A394-484B-B80A-CBEC066D6A38.jpeg

061D5297-D09E-4806-8B2E-187BA1346042.jpeg

1CD5BB4F-01B3-4937-88D6-0E60BAA34371.jpeg

CA4315CF-A4BC-407A-900A-E31153C28510.jpeg

BACC7C40-0D30-441E-A98B-29BE144B74A8.jpeg

• Like 2

Very nice... 

I remember I started  many years ago with an onkyo 806 and was happy because it could play loudly... then as I learned, I found that unit was a really poor excuse for what my personal vision was.

Glad you're on your way

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Boilermaker86 said:

I won the $200 gift card from youthmans channel a few months back and upgraded from my Onkyo 805 to the NAD 777 v 3. 

Right out of the box it was clear, balanced and did great with the highs on my Klipsch and my room.

Let's talk some more about this.  I have used NAD gear(T773) in my main HT rig for close to 8.5 years.  The T175HD pre/pro for the last 7 years.  I have been totally pleased with the results for HT and music and have never really considered switching to another brand with the exception of Anthem and that is really a neck and neck race with another NAD.  My T175HD is still going strong but have lately thought about getting something that will pass 4K and have better room EQ.  Switching to Anthem has led me to an MRX710/720 or the AVM60 pre/pro and their fantastic ARC room EQ.  Staying with NAD, which I would prefer, leads me to the next generation pre/pro T187 with 4K module or the T777v3 with Durac Live.

8 hours ago, Boilermaker86 said:

So far, awesome purchase. Thought I would share.

Please keep me updated on anything that transpires, good or bad.

Congrats on the win and the new purchase.

Bill

5 hours ago, willland said:

Let's talk some more about this.  I have used NAD gear(T773) in my main HT rig for close to 8.5 years.  The T175HD pre/pro for the last 7 years.  I have been totally pleased with the results for HT and music and have never really considered switching to another brand with the exception of Anthem and that is really a neck and neck race with another NAD.  My T175HD is still going strong but have lately thought about getting something that will pass 4K and have better room EQ.  Switching to Anthem has led me to an MRX710/720 or the AVM60 pre/pro and their fantastic ARC room EQ.  Staying with NAD, which I would prefer, leads me to the next generation pre/pro T187 with 4K module or the T777v3 with Durac Live.

Please keep me updated on anything that transpires, good or bad.

Congrats on the win and the new purchase.

Bill

Bill, 

You are welcomed to take a listen if you are ever in the area. 

I was reading this review and it compared the Anthem to the NAD. It seemed to indicate the NAD was a little more beefy in the amplifier and plus all your praise about it helped make my decision. 

https://www.soundstageaccess.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/904-nad-t777-v3-av-receiver

B068A264-9F92-491E-93FA-B0346FE8EF95.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hey boilermaker nice set up you have...  Was wondering how you’re liking that unit so far..?  I’m seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the 758...  So I was wondering how you were liking yours?  Right now I’m between that or a Marantz sr70$$ unit...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 7:58 PM, xo705cf said:

Hey boilermaker nice set up you have...  Was wondering how you’re liking that unit so far..?  I’m seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the 758...  So I was wondering how you were liking yours?  Right now I’m between that or a Marantz sr70$$ unit...

So far so good. 

I got a umic 1 mic and a stand and ran Dirac live. Like the sound so far. I was considering the Marantz 8012, but ultimately decided to go with the Nad. 

My main deciding factor was I had an Onkyo 805 with audyssey xt and I noticed some things I liked, and didn’t like. I liked how it seemed to envelope the more and the sound seemed to extend from speaker to speaker and have a wide soundstage and good transitions. What I didn’t like was audyssey always setting my speakers with high crossovers, and the surrounds and center seemed to lack bass. Also, it seemed to quiet the speakers too. Sometimes the surrounds were hard to hear because the front over powered them, or it quieted the front too much because of a bad reflection point. Then, it always set the center way too low. This is with me going from the synergy, to reference, to RF-7 IIs and a dorm room, to an apartment to a house over 10 years. Different rooms, different speakers, always had these quirks. 

So, I thought about the Marantz but it would just have audysse xt 32 and thought why not try Nad with Dirac. It instantly seemed to solve my issues. Nice and clear center channel with good bass. The ships zoom by in Star Wars and has bass to it. My sub was having trouble with the low notes in the DC or marvel movies and now it sings and shakes the house. I kid you not I was shocked with the kick *** dts intro. The bass was crazy good. The highs are so controlled on the Klipsch and it has like a bounce to the high notes. 

I thought I would miss the power of my Onkyo 805, but it was noting without proper set up. The Nad I’m listening at lower volumes because the center is clear and properly adjusted. The surrounds have great presence. Music is more enjoyable to listen to. The Onkyo had a more in your face bright sound, where the nad is more controlled on the highs. I was reading on there site it may have to do with the power the Nad has. 

Hope that helps with your decision. You may want to check eBay as I have seen safe and sound selling the 777 v3 refribished or world wide stereo is where I got mine and they will give you a price over the phone. Just check to see how close it is in price to the 758 before you purchase. 

2D75EEBD-50A5-41B3-BC11-5896E3C302D7.jpeg

• Like 2