Need Help with 7.1 setup

Abittencookie

Hey everyone, 

I'm trying to figure out what would be best in a 7.1 setup for side surrounds. I currently have RC62, RF600 L+R, and R15Ms for my rears. I found a good deal locally used for RF82s ($500 CAD) which I was thinking I could move the 600s to the sides and use the 82s as mains. I also found a pair of RS42ii  for $250 CAD. Was wondering if the RS42s would be best for the sides or would I be better off upgrading my mains and using my existing direct firing as sides? 

Thanks for any help in advance 

As @wuzzzer said you really don't want direct firing surround speakers direct firing into your ear.  I suggest the RS-42's for that purpose.  I have the RS-62's.

I presume you have the new floorstanders, RP-600F.  I have the bookshelf version RP-600M.  My 600M's are pretty good even when used as mains.  I am not sure  the RF-82's would be an improvement, but I've never heard them.

It would help to hear from somebody who has owned both the RP-600F and the RF-82.

12 hours ago, Abittencookie said:

Was wondering if the RS42s would be best for the sides or would I be better off upgrading my mains and using my existing direct firing as sides? 

Fwiw, I would upgrade your mains and use your direct firing speakers as surrounds and rears in a 7.1 configuration. The WDST technology came about for the RS-42 when folks/technology wanted ambient sounds to come out of the surrounds before discrete material was being sent there or for less than ideal speaker placements (or rows of seating). This may be a room/preference situation but I use direct radiating speakers all of the way around and let the AVR using Dolby PLIIz matrix the surround information and all material...Especially on Multichannel music it's like having a separate channel in the rear. For movies it may be a wash but I preferred both RF-3s and RB-75s as surround speakers compared to the RS-7s we also own. 

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

As @wuzzzer said you really don't want direct firing surround speakers direct firing into your ear.  I suggest the RS-42's for that purpose.  I have the RS-62's.

We have RB-75s directly to the side of our LP within 4 to 5 ft of our ears and another pair pointed towards the LP about 9 ft behind us and I never felt it was "firing into our ears," and instead are amazed at how 5.1 material can be converted to 7.1 (or 9.2 in our config) seamlessly and we don't notice the sound coming from speakers but instead are in the middle of the action. Of course, YMMV.

I just bought 2 pair of rp-502s from @MetropolisLakeOutfitters , he gave me great pricing and fast shipping! I bought them for rears and rear-surrounds and I'm really happy with the wide dispersion of sound they produce. I went this route for 2 main reasons. First is that my couch where I sit is only about 1ft - 2ft away from the wall and there wasn't much room to put speakers behind me. So I mounted a pair of the 502s about 2ft above my head and about 3ft away from the main listening position in the center of the couch. They really do work like advertised! The second main reason was because Youthman on youtube uses the same setup just in a different room so I knew that it was a good option to try out.

Cheers,

Spencer

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

We have RB-75s directly to the side

Is an RB-75 a floorstander?  I was thinking the OP asked about putting floorstanders into side surround duty.  Maybe I was mistaken.  Most floorstanders have the woofers firing into the couch because of the tall design, with the tweeter being at ear level.

I've used bookshelf speakers as side surrounds.  Not as good as RS-62's but serviceable, if there is no other choice.

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Is an RB-75 a floorstander?  I was thinking the OP asked about putting floorstanders into side surround duty.  Maybe I was mistaken.  Most floorstanders have the woofers firing into the couch because of the tall design, with the tweeter being at ear level.

I've used bookshelf speakers as side surrounds.  Not as good as RS-62's but serviceable, if there is no other choice.

You are correct, I have stands for the floorstanders so they would be raised to a correct level.  So the question is mainly at 4-5 ft which is better for surrounds ? And is it worth upgrading mains

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

The RB-75 is a large bookshelf speaker voice-matched to the RF-7s using the same size horn which makes it different than other bookshelf speakers. Insofar as the OP is concerned it seems like he is doing what I did which was raise the side surround towers. This pic is of the RF-3s put on footstools with tiles to make it look nicer: surleft2.jpg

1 minute ago, Abittencookie said:

So the question is mainly at 4-5 ft which is better for surrounds ?

For side surrounds if I had a choice, I would go wide dispersion speakers, then bookshelf, then floorstanders.

I've never heard the RF-82's but they are equivalent of the RP series as a mid-level speaker.  I would have to hear them and know they are better than the RP-600F before I would make that swap.

The RP-600's in any form are rapidly gaining a cult-like following.  I can compare my RP-600M to some other floorstanders and they hold their own against other well known Klipsch, especially when a sub is used.

2 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

The RB-75 is a large bookshelf speaker voice-matched to the RF-7s using the same size horn which makes it different than other bookshelf speakers. Insofar as the OP is concerned it seems like he is doing what I did which was raise the side surround towers. This pic is of the RF-3s put on footstools with tiles to make it look nicer: surleft2.jpg

You got it! Just deciding if upgrading to the 82s for the price difference is worth it compared to the 42s I'm also worried the 42s might be underpowered

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

For side surrounds if I had a choice, I would go wide dispersion speakers, then bookshelf, then floorstanders.

I've never heard the RF-82's but they are equivalent of the RP series as a mid-level speaker.  I would have to hear them and know they are better than the RP-600F before I would make that swap.

The RP-600's in any form are rapidly gaining a cult-like following.  I can compare my RP-600M to some other floorstanders and they hold their own against other well known Klipsch, especially when a sub is used.

RF600 is what I have currently. Not RP

7 minutes ago, Abittencookie said:

!!!  My apologies!  I didn't even know there was an RF-xxx series!  Throw out everything I said, I was comparing to the RP-xxx series.

Where does the RF fit into the Klipsch line-up? 

2 minutes ago, Abittencookie said:

I would put those bad boys on the side and upgrade your mains. Of course it's easy to spend your money, but the RS-42s are small surrounds and even if they were a larger model of WDST speakers it would be something you may want to audition for yourself given the varied responses--I'm stickin' to my recommendation and good luck! :) 

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

I would put those bad boys on the side and upgrade your mains. Of course it's easy to spend your money, but the RS-42s are small surrounds and even if they were a larger model of WDST speakers it would be something you may want to audition for yourself given the varied responses--I'm stickin' to my recommendation and good luck! :) 

I honestly was thinking this from the start just wanted some extra opinion on WDST vs Direct. I think the 42s will be a little small and those towers would be awesome sides! Thanks !