Recapping Xovers 1977 La Scalas

JohnKuthe

I acquired a pair of consecutive serial numbered 1977 Klipsch La Scalas:

Type WS-BR
Serial#s: 217412, 217413

Type AA Balancing Networks

Beginner with recapping La Scalas. I can see three caps, two vertical in back and one bigger horizontal. 

Can anyone point me to the best source for new caps and accurate values for the correct replacement caps? I'm adept wirth soldering and screwdrivers!

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Audiophile!

IMG_9525.jpg

• Like 1

John,

The AA schematic is in this thread (below) (and others I'm sure), from @Islander and the Crites site posted above has the values too and how to do it.  13 uF for the "horizontal" and 2 uF for the up right caps.  If you take yours out you can check them with your multi meter and then go from there too. 

On 3/25/2019 at 9:05 AM, MC39693 said:

John,

The AA schematic is in this thread (below) (and others I'm sure), from @Islander and the Crites site posted above has the values too and how to do it.  13 uF for the "horizontal" and 2 uF for the up right caps.  If you take yours out you can check them with your multi meter and then go from there too. 

Yep! I have a local buddy who knows quite bit about Klipsch speakers and has a pair he upgraded extensively!

All good information, from a Forum I respect! :-)

John Kuthe...

I prefer film and foil caps, and am partial to Hovlands Musicaps but they are getting scarce.  I suspect they have gone out of business, again.  There are others that are equally good, but none are cheap, some actually bordering on stupid.  I have been happy with Solen metalized caps in speakers I expected less from.  I would use them in a parallel situation like the woofer caps in a Type AL-2/3/4 crossover. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deang said:

..... You can still get Musicaps, and they're actually better than they used to be.

The PPT Theta is excellent, and reasonably priced. 

Ok, but I haven't seen much selection in a year, or more and no 2 uFs available in a long time. 

19 hours ago, JohnA said:

I prefer film and foil caps, and am partial to Hovlands Musicaps but they are getting scarce.  I suspect they have gone out of business, again.  There are others that are equally good, but none are cheap, some actually bordering on stupid.  I have been happy with Solen metalized caps in speakers I expected less from.  I would use them in a parallel situation like the woofer caps in a Type AL-2/3/4 crossover. 

Making little custom Cap Banks! I love it!! MORE power handling capacity for the same capacitance!

John Kuthe...

18 hours ago, JohnA said:

Ok, but I haven't seen much selection in a year, or more and no 2 uFs available in a long time. 

@JohnA that's disappointing to hear. 

I'm always having sourcing problems with the various film and foils. Vendors just don't keep as many in stock due to lack of cost and low demand.

John, if your La Scalas are the early top-loader models, like my 1974 Scalas, you can remove the lids of the cabinets and easily access the crossovers.  If the cabinet tops have screws all the way around, you're all set.  A #2 Phillips driver is all you need.

If the tops are permanently installed, i.e., nailed on, pulling out the crossovers, as most people call the balancing networks nowadays, is not a big job, and they have far fewer mounting screws than the lids, so it's no big deal either way. 

As for capacitors, I went with Bob Crites's Sonicaps back in 2006.  They improved the sound over the original caps, and the speakers still sound great today.  The little plastic cradles and zip-ties that come with them make the update really simple, and the crossovers look much tidier than they did with the old tin can caps.

Don't forget to loosen and re-tighten all the screws on the barrier strips, since some of them may have loosened up over the decades.

• Like 1

I visited https://critesspeakers.com and I'll call Bob soon  and order $330 a pair NEW AA crossovers for my 1979 La Scalas, swap my AAs out, then determine if I need any driver upgrades!

One step at a time!!! But a brand new pair of Crites AA La Scala crossovers sounds like a good deal for "instant professional crossover upgrade" and that can never be a bad thing! And relatively easy to do too!

John Kuthe, etc...

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 7:58 PM, Deang said:

I don't have a website. The last time I had one I had so much work I was living out of my workroom, and that got real old real fast. Word of mouth keeps me just busy enough. 

Thanks Dean! I can imagine! Yeah, if you have a commercial website, like a *.com website, many expect you to be able to deliver on orders almost instantly, and when you are a one human shop, that is NOT hardly ever gonna happen! I know, I have a website KutheChocolates.com trying to grow a small seasonal chocolates business! Because I make Christmas Candy every year for over 30 years and have gotten quite good at it! But like I said it's a SEASONAL business, The weather MUST BE COOL DRY, and very cold weather is best.

John Kuthe...

• Like 1

I emailed Bob Crites (BobCrites@gmail.com) and ordered a pair of brand NEW AA crossovers and ordered a PAIR of brand NEW AA crossovers and a pair of squawker (I think!) gaskets plus shipping $345 I think!! Got the shipping email and I should have them by Wed or Thurs!

Yay!! Swapping out the crossovers looks easy, I pre loosened the Phillips Head screws a little. I wish I could get in there more on the crossover mounting points. I'd get the little things you put in (kinda pop rivet in) sheet metal for a machine thread. 

Maybe I'll just stick 'em on with some extremely sticky 1/16in foam tape strips I have a roll of!

My 1979 La Scalas sound pretty incredible now, so I can IMAGINE the improvement I might hear! 

John Kuthe...

I did the same for my ‘80 (“U” Code) La Scalas. I just wanted to keep the old crossovers “stock”. Just in case someone down the road might want them the way they left Hope. Honestly, I didn’t hear much difference. The old ones must’ve been close to spec. But with all new parts, I figure they will be good for another thirty years. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, M_Klipsch said:

I did the same for my ‘80 (“U” Code) La Scalas. I just wanted to keep the old crossovers “stock”. Just in case someone down the road might want them the way they left Hope. Honestly, I didn’t hear much difference. The old ones must’ve been close to spec. But with all new parts, I figure they will be good for another thirty years. 

Exactly! New modern parts will last 30+ years, I won't!

:-)

John Kuthe...