Western Electric plant - Rossville, GA

Marvel

The owner of the WE name bought the rights AND equipment from the old owners, including getting all of the old supplies and equipment. Higher quality , new equipment was purchased to improve where they could. This guy is definitely into making the tubes higher quality for today's users, i.e., the 300B is designed for a 40,000 hr lifespan. He's hired old guys who used to do the same work, and new guys to pass on the skills. It's nice that they will be cranking them out here in the U.S. instead of China or Europe.

You wouldn't like his new stereo 300B amp though. It is built on a PCB with SS rectification.  It sounds very good though, but personally not any better than my Welborne Labs 2A3 amps. The best thing about my amps... they are paid for and sound marvelous.

Bruce

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Vacuum tube technology and new developments in 2019 are NICE to hear about.  Thanks for posting this.

So, who wants to be first, with their money, buying products from people LEARNING to manufacture vacuum tubes???

I'd wait a good long time, possibly several years, to determine just how they do !!

The Western Electric "name" means little to me !!!    YMMV,  just my thought on their business effort.

They say they have all the schematics and all the machines.

This is not rocket science!

There is a need for young people to find their way to this place, and I mean young workforce and young customers.

I only see  old guys in the video (like me...)

Makes me think of The Impossible Project in photography. When Polaroid went out of business, fans bought the machines and restarted production of polaroid film. Unfortunately they didn't have the chemistry formulas so they had back-engineer it. Hence their name, impossible...
https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/pages/about-us

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 5047U met Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I've been running the same quad of WE 350B output tubes in my McIntosh MC-30s for TWENTY YEARS.  They still test as new. I bought ten of them from a guy who had 25,000 tubes in his garage. They are incredible in every way you can imagine. I don't think I will ever need the spare 6.

If they can even come CLOSE to replicating this kind of quality then hooray for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allan Songer said:

I've been running the same quad of WE 350B output tubes in my McIntosh MC-30s for TWENTY YEARS.  They still test as new. I bought ten of them from a guy who had 25,000 tubes in his garage. They are incredible in every way you can imagine. I don't think I will ever need the spare 6.

If they can even come CLOSE to replicating this kind of quality then hooray for them.

That is so cool.. Wow.

I am going to be building a three tube stereo amp with dual triodes using the WE 421A as output.   

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently at the Munich Audio Show the owner of this Western Electric plant or more like name went to the Siblatone room and demanded they take the Western Electric plaques off of original Western Electric horns.😡 They also claimed 22wpc from a single 300B amplifier. 🤣If this is true don't expect too much.

2 hours ago, seti said:

They also claimed 22wpc from a single 300B amplifier. 🤣If this is true don't expect too much. 

They do claim a max of 40 watt plate dissapation. I've heard their prototype amp, and it sounded good, but it was playing through a pair of the Gauder Akustik direct radiators. I think my Moondogs sounded as good.

Haven't met Whitener yet to know if he's a jerk.

15 hours ago, Marvel said:

They do claim a max of 40 watt plate dissapation. I've heard their prototype amp, and it sounded good, but it was playing through a pair of the Gauder Akustik direct radiators. I think my Moondogs sounded as good.

Haven't met Whitener yet to know if he's a jerk.

Claims in snakeoil territory and they only just started. My expectations are super low.

Past biz practices.

http://gothamaudiousa.com/textpattern/gazette/41/who-is-gotham-audio

That looks pretty bad. Still, even Gotham Audio is hedging and not attacking the possible quality of the new products. What would you expect from someone who made their fortune in real estate?