LaScala no bids $750 Stockton, California,

Woofers and Tweeters

13 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

yep. Might be a good deal for someone. 

I've seen LS's of that vintage in Good condition which sold for $600.  Those are really rough for $750 and I'm suspicious the Seller goes out of his way to say those are "untested."

In as-is condition and assuming there are non-working drivers I wouldn't go above $400, and $300 sounds even better.  They are going to take a LOT of work to bring them up to Good condition.

FYI the spreadsheet says LS in Avg/Poor condition average $935.

• Like 1

A pair of beater La Scalas cheap is a great potential experiment. Some time back I bought four beat up LSI's that had toured with the Oak Ridge Boys. My poor opinion of SLV people in general was furthered here. One had gotten so hot the woofer caught on fire and the scorch marks are there in the doghouse. Two of them had the K-43's taken out and some goofy 15" woofer marked "Taiwan"  put in there. Long story short they are so beat up I decided that when current projects are done I am going to strip out the doghouse for reuse and make a bass bin with 1" baltic birch. The horn will be separate like the newer ones from Klipsch but I am going to cut the motorboard so I can stick a large MAHL tweeter with the DE10 in there. You go shopping for parts to build La Scalas by and it can be much cheaper to just buy beaters and break them up. I would not spend over $400 though and that being with at least good mids and woofers and crossovers. Tweeter can just be thrown out since it is the weak link in the whole thing and needs to go. Better yet if in good shape sell on ebay and get some of your money back.

In case you wonder a rubber mallet removes all the wood from off the doghouse and if you are careful the doghouse will be in fine shape for reuse. The rest of the build is easy.