Cornscala mid horn

mopardave

15 hours ago, mopardave said:

I don't think I will go that route.  I found 1 horn (HM4750slf) that fits my project as well as my budget.  I will just have to step up to the pay window for these babies thou as they are not cheap.

Gave up on open?

Can't find something short enough most likely

3 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Gave up on open?

Can't find something short enough most likely

Yep, Can't find anything short enough.   I found the HM4750 horns on ebay for 107ea.   Lowest price I could find.  I think they are open throat design as I could only find one good pic of it from the front.   Looks to be open.     They should be here fri and I can confirm what they are.  Only other option would be the 2380 horns and I know they are narrow throat.

On 3/30/2019 at 2:17 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Do you need any of them? 

I would have an immediate use for a pair of 2” throat tractrix horns with a 500 hz cutoff!

...unless we’re talking eliptrac 400 pricing...

On 3/29/2019 at 5:19 AM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Have you considered building an Edgar Tractrix horn to compare to the ZXPC?  

I had asked the ZXPC supplier if he can build the tractrix, he was interested but did not follow up.  If we could get maybe 5 or ten of us interested in a tractrix maybe he will make them.  If the same price as the ZXPC, I'd be in for two pairs with Fc of say 250 or 275 (to use with K Horns and with La Scalas), so we just need maybe 8 more interested parties to make a good offer to get a run going. 

I would be in for a pair for my K-Horns providing they could be posted to Australia.

I will also need 1" adapters so my A55G drivers could be utilised.

21 hours ago, geoff. said:

I would have an immediate use for a pair of 2” throat tractrix horns with a 500 hz cutoff!

...unless we’re talking eliptrac 400 pricing...

I am assuming that the seller would sell for about the same as his other horns, about $50 each or $100 per pair. 

I want big horns, meaning not huge, but bigger than the top hats of the La Scala and K Horn.

On 3/31/2019 at 10:24 AM, mopardave said:

Yep, Can't find anything short enough.   I found the HM4750 horns on ebay for 107ea.   Lowest price I could find.  I think they are open throat design as I could only find one good pic of it from the front.   Looks to be open.     They should be here fri and I can confirm what they are.  Only other option would be the 2380 horns and I know they are narrow throat.

Well I received the 4750 horns yesterday and quess what, they are not open throat horns. Narrow throat just like the 2380 horn.   So now i'm not sure what to do. Send them back or just use them.    If I could get my motor boards out, I could buy the crites motor boards and the open mid horn of my liking, but not sure I can get those out without damaging the cabinet.   This is not going as smooth as I thought it would.     

On 3/27/2019 at 8:20 AM, mopardave said:

I'm reading that the M audio 2380 horn( JBL 2380A) produces a quacking sound at certain pressure levels and frequencies.   Would  a more open less restrictive horn like a selenium HM4750SLF or ZXPC horn 17.5x11x12 be a better choice for a 3 way Cornscala?  There is also a PRV WG45-50 horn with same 90*x40* dimensions that has an open throat.     I'm thinking the open throat horn might be the better choice?  Am I correct with this thinking?

Time to quit reading and start listening.  FWIW, any sort of distortion at 162 dB, or any where near it, is irrelevant in a home setting.

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

I received the 4750 horns...

Those should sound good with your system. Just set them on top of the speaker cabinets while you try them out. You might want to use L-pads or something similar to reduce the SPL of your midrange down to the level of the woofers.

With all due respect, you seem to be going in circles on this project.

My advice is to follow the recipe(s) for the cornscala provided by Bob Crites (essentially the designer). The horn, the driver, and the crossover (and crossover point) must work together as a system. BEC seemed to be careful in his original recommendations and design. Some of the changes you are shooting at will require a different crossover (partial) and  perhaps a different driver.

By following BEC's recipe you will be enjoying sound from a system that was designed. Unfortunately, right now the approach seems a bit haphazard. I am not trying to be negative, just candid. There are many ways to get a system wrong, but only a few ways to get it right (at a given price point etc). 

In either case, good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

With all due respect, you seem to be going in circles on this project.

My advice is to follow the recipe(s) for the cornscala provided by Bob Crites (essentially the designer). The horn, the driver, and the crossover (and crossover point) must work together as a system. BEC seemed to be careful in his original recommendations and design. Some of the changes you are shooting at will require a different crossover (partial) and  perhaps a different driver.

By following BEC's recipe you will be enjoying sound from a system that was designed. Unfortunately, right now the approach seems a bit haphazard. I am not trying to be negative, just candid. There are many ways to get a system wrong, but only a few ways to get it right (at a given price point etc). 

In either case, good luck.

Thanks guys.   Yeah, going in circles here for sure. This is not my normal routine with a new project.  A lot of mixed reviews on Crites Cornscala recipe.  Some like the narrow throat horn and many don't. Some like Crites xover for the Cornscala and some don't.    A few have bought the Cornscala assembled from Crites and did not like the sound.  So ya see, I just want to get this correct on the first try and save on the expense as well if possible.   Its just an ongoing hobby, so maybe i'll just keep the 4750 horns and if I don't like how they sound I will try replacing the motor board with the Crites motor boards and use an open throat horn like the PRV WG45-50.     I contacted the seller and I can return these JBL/Selenium horns if I like, but i'm gonna think about it over the weekend.    Thanks again for the help guys.

I think that if you make the jump to a large format mid/hi horn you will be very much impressed with the reduction of distortion that upgrade offers. I found the effect not unlike (so far as the impact it made on me) making the jump from 95 db efficient speakers to 100+db efficient speakers, and in both cases it is for me at least very hard to go backwards.

28 minutes ago, moray james said:

I think that if you make the jump to a large format mid/hi horn you will be very much impressed with the reduction of distortion that upgrade offers. I found the effect not unlike (so far as the impact it made on me) making the jump from 95 db efficient speakers to 100+db efficient speakers, and in both cases it is for me at least very hard to go backwards.

I have never listened to anything like that, but everyone who has seems to love that combo.

9 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I have never listened to anything like that, but everyone who has seems to love that combo.

I would love to hear Bob's CornScala "D" as I expect they are very good. I have a pair of JBL L200B at home now with a set of JBL 2226 woofers replacing the stock L200B woofers (these are two way speakers) and they sound excellent. I would expect bob's speakers to equal or better these given the parts being used and I cannot imagine most folks not being impressed with them. The switch from a small format compression driver to large format ones results in about a 50% reduction in across the band distortion regardless of playback level. So this is an upgrade which will be much appreciated by folks who love low level listening as well as by those who like to crank it out. Good luck in your search. You might ask if there are members near to you who wold have you over to listen to their rigs. The more different kinds of gear you listen to the more you will be able to decide what you will like for yourself. Give a shout out if you plan to visit Calgary/Banff any time for a holiday and you can drop in and hear whatever I am running at the time.

54 minutes ago, moray james said:

I would love to hear Bob's CornScala "D" as I expect they are very good. I have a pair of JBL L200B at home now with a set of JBL 2226 woofers replacing the stock L200B woofers (these are two way speakers) and they sound excellent. I would expect bob's speakers to equal or better these given the parts being used and I cannot imagine most folks not being impressed with them. The switch from a small format compression driver to large format ones results in about a 50% reduction in across the band distortion regardless of playback level. So this is an upgrade which will be much appreciated by folks who love low level listening as well as by those who like to crank it out. Good luck in your search. You might ask if there are members near to you who wold have you over to listen to their rigs. The more different kinds of gear you listen to the more you will be able to decide what you will like for yourself. Give a shout out if you plan to visit Calgary/Banff any time for a holiday and you can drop in and hear whatever I am running at the time.

Yes, Kevin is near me.  I just need to ask him and take the time to do that.    Thanks for the offer.

10 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Those are nice

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

Thanks.  I have liked the Heritage line since my first pair of Heresy's in 1985.

30 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

Come over any time, I'm retired now so I'm always around!

Ok. Thanks Kevin.  I will as so as I organize a day I can.  Very interested in hearing your systems.  I'll let you know.  Thanks again.

• Like 1