Cornscala mid horn

mopardave

2 hours ago, mopardave said:

Ok. Thanks Kevin.  I will as so as I organize a day I can.  Very interested in hearing your systems.  I'll let you know.  Thanks again.

Looks like after Easter.  Maybe Easter Monday if your open for that?

23 hours ago, mopardave said:

Thanks guys.   Yeah, going in circles here for sure. This is not my normal routine with a new project.  A lot of mixed reviews on Crites Cornscala recipe.  Some like the narrow throat horn and many don't. Some like Crites xover for the Cornscala and some don't.    A few have bought the Cornscala assembled from Crites and did not like the sound.  So ya see, I just want to get this correct on the first try and save on the expense as well if possible.   Its just an ongoing hobby, so maybe i'll just keep the 4750 horns and if I don't like how they sound I will try replacing the motor board with the Crites motor boards and use an open throat horn like the PRV WG45-50.     I contacted the seller and I can return these JBL/Selenium horns if I like, but i'm gonna think about it over the weekend.    Thanks again for the help guys.

I packaged the horns back up for now.  I spoke with Al K today. Ordered my CSW xovers today. He strongly suggested the Eliptrac 400 horns and the B&C85tn drivers as well.   I emailed Dave, says they are still available in kit form.  I may be going Eliptrac instead.   Will think this over this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 10:00 AM, mopardave said:

Well I received the 4750 horns yesterday and quess what, they are not open throat horns. Narrow throat just like the 2380 horn.   So now i'm not sure what to do. Send them back or just use them.    If I could get my motor boards out, I could buy the crites motor boards and the open mid horn of my liking, but not sure I can get those out without damaging the cabinet.   This is not going as smooth as I thought it would.     

I scored a pair of zxpc open throat horns today and I think they will fit the Cornwall cabinet.  11" deep.    Sweet!

zxpc horn.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AHall said:

I’d like to see some more people use the zxpc 10x18 with an active xover. 

Why active?  It will really matter on what driver you are connecting to it as to how hard it will be to manage with a passive network, or active.

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Why active?  It will really matter on what driver you are connecting to it as to how hard it will be to manage with a passive network, or active.

I plan on using the C&B DE85TN, but what would be the easiest driver to manage?

4 hours ago, pzannucci said:

=== my Jubes run using Crites passives EQ’d specifically for the Faital HF200 driver. As I understand it and what I’ve emailed Al about (ALK) is using his networks with any HF driver due the extreme slope design he uses. 

1 hour ago, richieb said:

=== my Jubes run using Crites passives EQ’d specifically for the Faital HF200 driver. As I understand it and what I’ve emailed Al about (ALK) is using his networks with any HF driver due the extreme slope design he uses. 

I ordered the CSW xover from Al and he didn't think I would have too much trouble using the C&B drivers.  Will see.

If you just want to take the raw response of the driver without any eq and also hope that the crossover points are "close enough" based on the components in the crossover, grabbing a pre-made crossover is fine.  

When you want to use a passive (or active) that provides reasonably smooth frequency response and crossover, it will need to be more accurately tailored for the driver you are hooking up to it. 

Really depends on how accurate you want things and if you will be happy with just that, something that is more generic.

On 4/21/2019 at 3:42 AM, pzannucci said:

I believe it is a cd horn like the k510 and k402. So there will be some peq needed to compensate some boost and drop in the freq. Also does not limit you on which driver you want to use. Additionally my second xilica(2040) was only $400 in like new condition. The massive amount of adjustability in an active crossover is a no brained when coming the price to a passive network. 

15 hours ago, AHall said:

I believe it is a cd horn like the k510 and k402. So there will be some peq needed to compensate some boost and drop in the freq. Also does not limit you on which driver you want to use. Additionally my second xilica(2040) was only $400 in like new condition. The massive amount of adjustability in an active crossover is a no brained when coming the price to a passive network. 

Good flexibility, you just need to make sure the horn and driver actually sounds good.  No eq will fix a problem there.

4 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Good flexibility, you just need to make sure the horn and driver actually sounds good.  No eq will fix a problem there.

I run a Radian 950 driver in my k510 center channel. It sounds very good. Premium driver that is fairly inexpensive. The 18x10 zxpc horn is said to perform similar to the k510. Also I have a friend that is running the zxpc with k691 for the HF on his LaScala center channel and is having great luck. Loves it. 

16 hours ago, MenloBob said:

FleaBay? I haven't had any luck finding cheap xilicas..

Yes. They come up every now and again. I just got the 2040 just to do my cornwall surrounds. 

20 hours ago, AHall said:

I run a Radian 950 driver in my k510 center channel. It sounds very good. Premium driver that is fairly inexpensive. The 18x10 zxpc horn is said to perform similar to the k510. Also I have a friend that is running the zxpc with k691 for the HF on his LaScala center channel and is having great luck. Loves it. 

Yes. They come up every now and again. I just got the 2040 just to do my cornwall surrounds. 

Are they measuring and compensating with eq?  How different are the curves with the zxpc horn vs what we have seen posted for say the 510?

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

Are they measuring and compensating with eq?  How different are the curves with the zxpc horn vs what we have seen posted for say the 510?

Im not certain how different the curve is. Yes it was eq’d using REW and xconsole software. I can only talk from personal experience when I eq’d my k510/Heresy center channel with radian 950. Biamp configuration.