Heresy 2 squawker upgrade

Dave S

The stock K 53 K squawker is a good midrange speaker but according to what I have read here on the Klipsch Audio Community forums and speaking to Bob Crites there are probably better options for improvement.  Bob has assured me that the A-55G mid driver would be a suitable compatible replacement for the K 53 driver offering better performance.  The sticking point is the horn. As you know the stock horn/lens for the K 53 is the K 701 4 bolt.  There are bolt on flange adaptors that could adapt the K 701 horn to accept the 1 3/8 x18 threaded nose of the A-55G but anyone who has looked down the throat of the K 701 horn will notice that the throat opening is flared to accept the conical phase plug of the K 53 driver and throat opening tapers to a 5/8 inch opening before the horn continues to open toward the front.  Bob was not able to answer my question of how this would affect performance of the A-55G or any other driver with a similar threaded mount.  Bob also mentioned that he has never tried this because it probably would not fit in a standard Heresy cabinet as the mounting depth would be longer than the stock squawkers so there would be no reason for him to even attempt it. My cabinets are not stock Heresy type and I have plenty of depth for a longer horn.  I could buy a standard G700 horn  that would accept the threaded driver but I am just curious if anyone has an opinion of what the K 701's tapered restricted throat opening might do to the performance of a threaded driver.

Edited by Dave S
Incorrect data

if I was going to used a better driver I would not use it on a K701. I understand that you probably do not have the room on your baffle for a larger (better) horn so why not simply improve the driver and horn that you have? it is actually a very good driver in its range and the horn is decent.

you can cover the back side of the horn with dynamat or hushmat which will clean up the horn and you can dramatically improve the driver with a layer of dynamat in the top of the pole piece (do not foul the vc) and then make a felt dome to place beneath the mid diaphragm (again do not foul the vc or the diaphragm),the dome can be quite close to the diaphragm as it does not have much physical motion using F11 Acoustical wool felt (this felt has the widest absorption of any felt available). when working with the felt you must not saturate it with adhesive ot it will not work use small dots of white PVA craft glue which will stick perfectly without saturating the felt due to its thick consistency. this will cost a whole lot less than a new driver. I also use a diffraction device in the form of an official ping pong ball friction fit with a narrow layer of electrical tape into the throat of the mid horn. most like the diffraction device some don't you can decide for yourself it costs almost nothing to try.

9 hours ago, Dave S said:

The stock K 53 K squawker is a good midrange speaker but according to what I have read here on the Klipsch Audio Community forums and speaking to Bob Crites there are probably better options for improvement.  Bob has assured me that the A-55G mid driver would be a suitable compatible replacement for the K 53 driver offering better performance.  The sticking point is the horn. As you know the stock horn/lens for the K 53 is the K 701 4 bolt.  There are bolt on flange adaptors that could adapt the K 701 horn to accept the 1 3/8 x18 threaded nose of the A-55G but anyone who has looked down the throat of the K 701 horn will notice that the throat opening is flared to accept the conical phase plug of the K 53 driver and throat opening tapers to a 5/8 inch opening before the horn continues to open toward the front.  Bob was not able to answer my question of how this would affect performance of the A-55G or any other driver with a similar threaded mount.  Bob also mentioned that he has never tried this because it probably would not fit in a standard Heresy cabinet as the mounting depth would be longer than the stock squawkers so there would be no reason for him to even attempt it. My cabinets are not stock Heresy type and I have plenty of depth for a longer horn.  I could buy a standard G700 horn  that would accept the threaded driver but I am just curious if anyone has an opinion of what the K 701's tapered restricted throat opening might do to the performance of a threaded driver.

Here's a link to a thread where I installed the k-55v's to a pair of Chorus II horns should be the same as bolting them to the k-53 horn. I did not notice any difference in sound from a similar screw on type horn versus the cone shaped entry of the stock horn.