I now own Klipsch KG4. and i love it

jef0707

Hi! I'm new here...

So I've been admiring Klipsch speakers from afar for a while now. But I never could afford them. I came across a deal on the Klipsch KG4. which, generally speaking, gets good reviews from people a s an entry level Klipsch speaker. And I have to say, they sound amazing. and they are still all original as far as I can tell. the seller said they were anyway. I know I will need to put some money into these. I was ok with that. Crossovers, Tweeters, maybe cab refinish. they are in good shape. and I don't see myself getting rid of them any time soon.

However, after many hours of listening to them last night, if I put my ear up to one of the woofers, I can hear a slight buzz. or a muffeled static-y sound. not really a buzz, hard to explain. also, after putting on Chet Baker, I noticed the tweeter kind of buzz or hiss at the high notes.

My question...would this be bad drivers? or bad crossover? the tweeters im not worried about. I plan on getting the Crites tweeters one day. but the woofer is another issue. I started looking this morning and didn't see any on the usual places. could anyone recommend a known good replacement? if it is the woofer.

My speakers before these were Cerwin Vega VS-120. and I thought they sounded good. These Klipsch sound so much better. I didn't expect that. anyone want to buy some Vega's? lol

• Like 1

I just bought some kg4, for about 50$ Without woofer

I have keep the passive radiator and put RF82 kit (crossover, woofer and twitters)

I print new 3d horn and adapter 

i love them, bass is amazing 

Here what it look 

2E587632-D5D3-4849-808F-3C7ADEBD438A.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/28/2019 at 2:04 PM, jef0707 said:

I put my ear up to one of the woofers, I can hear a slight buzz. or a muffeled static-y sound. not really a buzz, hard to explain. also, after putting on Chet Baker, I noticed the tweeter kind of buzz

No clue, but since it comes from both the woofer AND the tweeter, I do think it is your source.  Also; do you hear it from both speakers or just one?

Congrats on the KG4's ... used to have some and thought they were great :D 

21 hours ago, Madman1 said:

Doubt it’s the woofer, probably coming from your source. 

it was the woofer. its rubbing the voice coil. I looked and looked and couldn't find a replacement. I did however find a "clone" from Midwest speakers. installed it, and it sounds very nice now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Emile said:

No clue, but since it comes from both the woofer AND the tweeter, I do think it is your source.  Also; do you hear it from both speakers or just one?

Congrats on the KG4's ... used to have some and thought they were great :D 

it was the woofer. however, the tweeter part still does that with that particular Chet Baker album. and my Miles Davis album. Something with them horns. I am saving up to do the tweeter and crossover upgrades from crites. so im hoping that will fix it. my power amp is 30+ years old to though. but, one thing at a time. one day, ill get so true heritage klipsch. but these work just fine for now.

• Like 2

Really surprised it was the woofer. I’ve seen voicecoils rub inside the magnet. I had a set of kp that had probably been slammed around and abused which caused the magnet to shift and freeze the voice coil. My buddy showed me how to repair it which was a little tedious but was well worth it to save that woofer. Now in my case the woofer wouldn’t even moved but once we got that magnet shifted back into place and reglued it worked perfectly. Keep your eyes out you can usually find kg4 woofers for around $40.