Internet service options FOUND! 4G LTE using tablet SIM and router

avguytx

8 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Heck yes that is awesome. The problem I have is I also don't have cell service in the house. My assumption from what you typed above is that you have a strong cellular signal in the house?

Our cell signal in the house sucks.  Maybe 2 to 5mb down and .5 to 1mb up...occasionally a little higher.  Mainly it's bad due to the radiant barrier on the underside of the roof.  Outside, their AT&T phones get around 10 to 15mb down and 5mb up but with a separate router/modem that uses higher gain antennas than what's in a phone, your signal will be a lot better.  Have you looked online to see where your closest towers are?  Try tinkering with the info on these websites.

www.cellmapper.net

www.antennasearch.com

That looks good. The speed will go up and down likely throughout the day, but you should be able to do about anything with those approx. speeds anyway. 

I just checked mine. My cell tower is only like a 1000ft away.

• Download Speed HELP 37.8 Mbps (4725 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Upload Speed HELP 29.6 Mbps (3700 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Latency HELP 49 ms

True.  And it's mainly afternoon, night and weekends when most data would be used anyway.  But I'm thrilled so far.  I'm assuming with better 4G LTE antennas on it, it will pick up even better even in the slow times.  The best part about where I'm at is that it's not crazy populated and I'm about 3/4 mile from the tower albeit some trees and hills in the way.

Too bad it's not as strong as at my office where I can get 100mb+  speeds during the day.

Well, about a week later and 127gb used with no throttling and still getting  pretty consistent speeds with the most basic antenna.  I am going to try this setup at my best friends house and also my inlaws house this weekend and see how it does.  Neither have internet service to speak of and my inlaws use Satellite which sucks rotten eggs.  If it works well out at their places, I may sell them my setup and go up a notch on the modem I use and see what that does...plus better antennas.  But still very pleased versus having nothing and paying $20/mo.  

image.png.cc6c83caab78efc66d137dfa9d89a860.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avguytx said:

Well, about a week later and 127gb used with no throttling and still getting  pretty consistent speeds with the most basic antenna.  I am going to try this setup at my best friends house and also my inlaws house this weekend and see how it does.  Neither have internet service to speak of and my inlaws use Satellite which sucks rotten eggs.  If it works well out at their places, I may sell them my setup and go up a notch on the modem I use and see what that does...plus better antennas.  But still very pleased versus having nothing and paying $20/mo.  

image.png.cc6c83caab78efc66d137dfa9d89a860.png

that’s the speed i get in my bedroom ... i take the laptop into the living room and i get well over 200.  do i need a better router to reach the back room of the house without such a drop off in speed?

That’s why i use the back room when i’m on the Klipsch Forum ... slow it down for you guys to understand. 😀

Maybe another AP on the other end of the house to cover that side.  Are you using 2.4ghz or 5ghz?  5 will have better throughput but loses distance through walls.  2.4 travels through walls better and covers more area but loses some throughput.  I'm going to have to use 2 AP's to make sure we have good coverage.  3 if I set them for 5ghz.

Hey, I'm just happy to have ANY speed out where we are so this is great!  I'll increase it with better antennas as I just have it sitting on a turntable right now.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some Cisco paddle antennas to replace the originals which were a little bit of a step up.  I know exactly which tower I am hitting and am going to test doing a band lock on bands 2 and 12, which have been strong, and also 2 and 30.  Eventually, I may put a pair of antennas outside set up for MIMO pointed towards the tower that's 2 miles away.  If I end up hitting download speeds right below 100mb, I will probably change to a router that supports 10/100/1000 where the one I have now is 10/100.  Might also go to a Cat 12 modem which will give me 3x Carrier Aggregation and can further increase speeds.  

Very happy with the setup for the initial cost in parts and the $20/mo + tax price for tablet plan on AT&T.  Upload speeds are usually higher, too.  This was taken this morning at 7:30am.

image.png.4fac9f77e3ca2385336807b4d7918b17.png

• 3 weeks later...

Tinkering around with a Netgear MR1100 (AT&T) just to see if any differences in the original setup.  Speeds have been consistently faster than the original which amazes me with not having outside antennas and 2 miles from tower.  It seems to lock onto band 30 the most so when time allows, I'm going to try locking it in on bands 2, 12, and 30 and see what speeds do then.  Have used about 140gb for this period with 3 days left and no throttling.  Not bad for 20 bucks a month.

@rockhound  How far are you from towers?

Speed from 2pm this afternoon via a remote connection from work to home.  Before it settled where it did, it hit around 98mb for a bit.

11.6.19 speed test.PNG

On 9/27/2019 at 8:29 AM, rockhound said:

Heck yes that is awesome. The problem I have is I also don't have cell service in the house. My assumption from what you typed above is that you have a strong cellular signal in the house?

One of my brothers lives off the beaten path in Tyler TX.  His house is a heavily foam insulated metal sided and roofed house.  As soon as you walk through the door there's no cell service.  He bought a signal booster that goes outside the house and broadcasts inside the house.  Now cell service is better inside his house than outside.  I think it was 3 or 400 dollars.

Metal roofs and siding, along with metal backed flashing like what's under my shingles, definitely block signal.  But, most any kind of LTE modem with antennas, unlike what's built into a cell phone, will most always pick up better.  My wife's iPhone and my sons Galaxy S10 (both on AT&T) get 2 to 3 bars of signal outside and their download speeds are usually no more than 25mb.  With this AT&T modem, or the other I first bought, I range from 25mb on a bad day (rare) up to 90mb download.