Large room speaker advice

ajbarickman

I am looking for advice on floor standing speakers.  For background, my current system consists of a Denon AVR as pre-amp into a mini-DSP into Emotiva A-300 amplifier (150w/channel). My speakers are KEF Q350's with an HSU Research STF-1 subwoofer.    My room is very large with a high vaulted ceiling and the living room open into my kitchen. I have a good amount of floor space and can get the speakers a couple of feet off the wall.   My current setup sounds very good but based on the size of the room does not have the impact and dynamics I would like.  

I would like to buy some floor standers with 8-inch drivers.  So I need some advice on RP-8000F vs R-820F vs used RF-7 I or II maybe depending on price.  Of course, I would like to pay 820F prices but can stretch depending on what I hear.  This means if I hear the advice that says definitely go with x over y I can expand my budget by saving a bit longer.  These are the speakers that I THINK I want but I am very open to other advice as well. For instance, should I be looking at used La Scala's? There is a pair (late 70s unmodified) for sale near me for $1200 at the moment. 

To help with advice I will describe as best I can what I like.  I have been a long time fan of Klipsch.  My father had Forte's 30 years ago and I had KG-4s.  I loved them both but it has been a really long time since I have heard either. I currently have a pair of R-15M's in my closet which I like but don't have a good use for at the moment. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on car audio over the years and have found that dynamics and impact are what really light my fire.  I enjoy a forward sound with emphasized but controlled bass.  I don't mind a bright top end and prefer it to a very laid back top end. 

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Edited by ajbarickman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

The RP-8000 are getting wonderful reviews....https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/klipsch-rp-8000f

That is a good review, thanks for sharing it.  I have heard similar things in reviews about the RP-600M's which is that they are a lot more refined than folks anticipate.  

1 hour ago, Peter P. said:

1. You're already a Klipsch fan.

2. You have a large space to fill, and have the room for a large speaker-lucky you.

3. You like dynamics and impact.

Get the LaScala's and try hard to wipe the smile off your face.

I am so tempted but worried about buying 40+ year-old speakers?  Have you heard them?  How would you describe their sound? 

9 minutes ago, ajbarickman said:

I am so tempted but worried about buying 40+ year-old speakers?  Have you heard them?  How would you describe their sound? 

Used Heritage speakers such as La Scala and Klipschorn (Khorns) are a tremendous audio bang-for-the-buck.  They have held up very well over time.  I have owned both.  FYI both are now gone due to low WAF.

If you list your location we have forum members who are amazing at finding deals.

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums.  If you are a Klipsch fan, you've come to the right place.

Here is my Heritage Prices spreadsheet, good for research.  Run your mouse over any cell with a red triangle to see my detailed notes on condition, location, etc.

Klipsch Heritage used prices ver 2019-02.xlsx

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter P. said:

2. You have a large space to fill, and have the room for a large speaker-lucky you.

Peter nailed it.

27 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Peter nailed it.

IMHO, audio-wise, Worst case scenario with LaScalas is that you may want to add a Sub-woofer for use with them...depending on the size of the wife's smiles as she boogies around the room vacuuming!😉  The really HUGE advantage of having older LaScalas is being able to move them outside for parties...caveat:  It is MUCH easier to have a conversation BEHIND them,  instead of in front of them, without getting hoarse doing it!!😂  Another advantage is HOW COOL your amp will run!  Very few watts are needed!

24 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

IMHO, audio-wise, Worst case scenario with LaScalas is that you may want to add a Sub-woofer for use with them...depending on the size of the wife's smiles as she boogies around the room vacuuming!😉  The really HUGE advantage of having older LaScalas is being able to move them outside for parties...caveat:  It is MUCH easier to have a conversation BEHIND them,  instead of in front of them, without getting hoarse doing it!!😂  Another advantage is HOW COOL your amp will run!  Very few watts are needed!

You got it....Andy, looking forward to seeing you in a month!

6 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Or Klipschornsimage.png.7f3c8d07d88991d063d4e59e640fccd7.png or Klipsch Jubileesimage.png.e4a1d510bdf9ea8484d12222a88aadb0.png  Turn up the bass about 3 to 6 dB and play either of these at concert level, and you will experience a whole new definition of impact and dynamics.  As I've said way too many times, with the timpani, Tam-Tam, bass drum, etc. on the Crystal Clear direct-to-disk version of "Fanfare for the Common Man" (Copland) on my K4lipschorns can cause a breeze strong enough to flap the pants legs of guests, levitate the couch, and throw my desk out of square (really -- temporarily).  In my 4,000 ++ cu. ft.  room this takes about 45 watts per speaker and the peaks read about 110 dB on my meter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Used Heritage speakers such as La Scala and Klipschorn (Khorns) are a tremendous audio bang-for-the-buck.  They have held up very well over time.  I have owned both.  FYI both are now gone due to low WAF.

If you list your location we have forum members who are amazing at finding deals.

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums.  If you are a Klipsch fan, you've come to the right place.

Here is my Heritage Prices spreadsheet, good for research.  Run your mouse over any cell with a red triangle to see my detailed notes on condition, location, etc.

Klipsch Heritage used prices ver 2019-02.xlsx

Thank you sir!  A very useful spreadsheet there. I appreciate it.   

BTW I live in Folsom which is a suburb of Sacramento CA.  I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to add that to my profile. I see no option available.  Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

Here are the La Scala's that I saw.  https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/d/meadow-vista-klipsch-la-scala/6851198913.html  Thoughts on them? What do I need to ask/know/understand about them? The cabinets look good in these pictures. Well, I should say in good shape.  I am not a fan of the old plywood look. 

Do La Scalas need to be set out off the wall or with the folder horn is that not that important?

Edited by ajbarickman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I am quite sure that my neighbors would kick me out of the neighborhood if I rolled them into my backyard.  I am already worried about playing them at the level I expect with the windows open.  : )

I don't have experience with the speakers you list, but I'm guessing you want something that can move more air than those.

La Scala II has the reputation of having better bass than La Scala I, possibly because of the thicker wood used, which provides some damping of resonance.  At times La Scala has sounded harsh to me, and fine at others.  While both the I & II have clean, tight bass, the bass rolls off below about 60 Hz.  The Klipschorn goes to 35 Hz (usable -- to use JBL's term -- to about 25 Hz, but very, very rolled off down there).   The Jubilee is somewhat better, although the specs may not show it.   IMO, both are better balanced than La Scala I or, probably, II.

Almost all speakers will have more bass when against a wall, and even more in a corner.  Even the new Klipschorns need to be within a few inches of a corner, but, thanks to enclosed backs, they can be toed-in, unlike the older models.  The Jubilee, also, should be near a corner.  It's a matter of bass, which you will want for your impact and dynamics!

Ideally, should you win the lottery, a horn subwoofer should be added to any of these, crossed over at 40, 50, or 60Hz.  DIY ones aren't too expensive. The Klipschorn and Jubilee don't need it for music, but do for the ideal home theater.  Google horn subwoofers.  They need to be big to go down low.  Their strong point is clean bass.  IMO, a regular subwoofer, that isn't a horn, will sound a little muddier, as does my RSW 15.  I should have buried a DIY horn in the basement, and let it speak out of a grille in the wall or floor.  My Klipschorns have a much tighter, snappier attack.  I really considered the subterranean horn woofer.  Here is what one guy did, in his basement:

image.thumb.png.091a760c6561a08987a53b62d7d95ea6.png

You can find local users and go listen before you buy anything and know what you like best which is better than us telling you what we like best. See what fits your room and your budget first and then buy. I don't see room size in feet so large in your eyes may differ from mine. Define your space. The better pro gear is awesome WAY beyond vintage if you can handle it. Large room speakers to some of us means an old set of MCM 1900's which cant be beat. You have to hear a set to believe it. I see KPT-942's and KPT-904's pop up out there on occasion and those are also spectacular. La Scalas make at the very least great starter speakers that many stay with for a lifetime and you can't go wrong with a set of those. With vintage gear if you don't like it over time you generally can get most or even more than what you spent back out to spend towards something different.

8" woofers in anything would not satisfy me. Don't make the mistake of creeping up the speaker food chain when you can go listen first and buy big enough to begin with this time.

To be honest,  you are starting from a bad place with vaulted ceilings and an open floor plan. Not ideal for good sound. Can it be done? Sure. But all other things being equal, an enclosed room with 8-10 ft. ceilings will return better sound.

That said, if you have two good corners, there is no reason not to go with a klipschorn. Or as mentioned above, at least a Lascala and sub(s).

Another suggestion is to dump that AVR as a preamp and get something better. A good preamp can make a huge improvement.

Shakey

7 hours ago, ajbarickman said:

Does anyone have input on my original direction?   RP-8000F vs R-820F vs used RF-7 I or II

The RF-7 series is a pretty good step up from the RP-8000f, and the 820f is a step back from the 8000f. The RF7-ll is a little more refined than the RF7-1, it has slightly better high end. Just curious, is $1200 the budget you're wanting to keep it within?