Any protections for sellers?

Madman1

So I have a eico tube amp that is in need of restoration. It is totally untouched and original. I have advertised it this way and someone is interested in it. I always prefer f&f payment but I understand the concern for a buyer of being ripped off by a seller. My question is how do I protect myself as a seller if we do a standard payment option thru PayPal. My ad clearly states that this is a working unit but is in need of repair and sold as is. What else can I do to defend myself to PayPal if buyers says it isn’t what I purchased? 

Thanks,

Mark

From experience, don't use F&F. However, you can still get screwed. The buyer can always open a case. Take lots of pictures and a video or 2 if you can. Photograph the packing process. Be overly descriptive. Get the buyer to say in writing they understand and agree. Keep all your records organized. Good luck.

• Like 2

OP:  Please help me understand.  Does "F&F" mean "Friends & Family"?  Am I correct that with F&F the buyer would be wiring you money with no commitment from you that you will deliver any product or service - i.e., they're just sending money to a "friend or family member" - and they have no recourse if you don't deliver any product or service? 

Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't it make more sense for you to send the buyer a PayPal invoice, clearly stating what you're selling (including product condition), and PayPal buyer protections would therefore govern?

From PayPal's web site:

"If you don't receive the item that you ordered, or it shows up significantly different from its description, you may qualify for Purchase Protection, and we'll reimburse you for the full purchase price plus any original shipping costs, subject to terms and limitations. If you are charged for a transaction that you didn't make, let us know within 60 days, and we've got you covered.

What’s covered with PayPal Purchase Protection

·        You bought a book, but received a DVD

·        You bought an item described as “new,” but received something that was used

·        You purchased 3 items, but only received 2

·        The item was damaged during shipping

·        The item is missing major parts (that the seller didn’t report)

·        You purchased an item described as authentic, but received a knockoff instead

What’s not covered with PayPal Purchase Protection

·        Real estate

·        Motorized vehicles

·        Custom-made goods that are significantly not as described

·        Industrial machinery

·        Prepaid cards

·        Items that violate our policies

·        Anything bought in person (not over the internet)

·       Send Money transactions to friends or family

·        Disputes filed more than 180 days after the purchase for item not received and significantly not as described claims

·        Unauthorized transaction claims reported more than 60 days after the transaction date of the transaction

·        Items that were described accurately by the seller"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW … unless I’m missing something … I’d never buy something from a seller who asked me to just send them money via “F&F”.  

According to UCC, and long-standing principles of business, don’t you as a seller have an obligation to deliver to the buyer the product as advertised, and isn’t the buyer entitled to protections if you don’t deliver?

If you are honest and thorough in describing and documenting (e.g., photos) the item’s condition, and you ship with delivery confirmation, then you will be protected (as much as possible) from false claims. 

You can somewhat mitigate your risk of loss due to shipping damage via insurance (if you meet the shipper’s packaging standards), but if you ship the item you are responsible for delivering the item to the buyer's address in the same condition as advertised.  (Make certain that the shipping box is stamped with the strength rating.  FYI, I bought a box from FedEx that didn't have the stamp, and my insurance claim was denied.)