La Scala Industrial pair on eBay

codewritinfool

46 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

That being said, they look quite nice however 

Yep, and I believe PWK created the La Scalas as theater speakers, as they project their sound so well and SO efficiently! So I can see movie theaters buying "industrial La Scalas" to play their movies' sound loudly and clearly to EVERYONE in the theater! PWK was a True Audio Genius! :-)

John Kuthe, Proud Owner of a pair of 1979 La Scalas, Raw Birch finish...

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:24 AM, codewritinfool said:

I think they were originally made as PA speakers for a political candidate. I suppose that’s a form of theater, too.

The acting is not as good, but I hear it pays better.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2019 at 9:24 AM, codewritinfool said:

Yep, and I believe PWK created the La Scalas as theater speakers

I think they were originally made as PA speakers for a political candidate. I suppose that’s a form of theater, too.

Actually neither of these is totally correct.  Most movie theaters already had big old horns behind the movie screen.  And most NON-movie theaters still needed the bottom-end that the LaScala would not quite be able to reach.  PWK wanted to design something that voiced like the K-horn, but was more portable and didn't need to be stuffed into a corner.  He actually knew that the woofer bin would not be able to go as low due to its horn design.  The LaScala was not even fully developed, yet when Winthrop Rockefeller (already a lover and owner of K-horns) called PWK up and asked if he had anything which could be put onto a small outside stage or flat-bed farm trailer for him to use when stumping the state while running for governor of Arkansas.  PWK told him that he might have what he needs already in the works, but explained it would not go as low in bass as the K-horns do.  Winthrop told him that he needed them primarily to cover his deep low voice for speaking to large crowds. And thus was born the literal "word-of-mouth" advertising for a Klipsch stage speaker that wasn't even in regular production yet!  The men on each side of the conversation really gained very much from the deal!

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 7:45 AM, JohnKuthe said:

Yep, and I believe PWK created the La Scalas as theater speakers, as they project their sound so well and SO efficiently! So I can see movie theaters buying "industrial La Scalas" to play their movies' sound loudly and clearly to EVERYONE in the theater! PWK was a True Audio Genius! 🙂

John Kuthe, Proud Owner of a pair of 1979 La Scalas, Raw Birch finish...

NOPE!  Most movie theaters during the time of the development of the LaScala already HAD Much larger horn systems behind the movie screens, and they had been out-fitted with them much further in the past...beginning as early as the late 1920's and through the 1940's. and 1950's.   By the time the LaScala was in development it was WAY TOO LATE for THAT GIG! 

But a decade or so later, as many historic theaters began getting face-lifts or restorations, The MCM system was just what they needed!...simply because in most cases the original makers of the old big old horn systems were just not making them anymore!  Nowadays around half or more of the movie theaters built in the USA since the MCM system became available are outfitted with the MCM system behind the movie screens.

On 3/30/2019 at 7:40 AM, Frzninvt said:

Priced too high.

I was getting ready to agree with you as my spreadsheet has LSI's at $935, but they sold with a confirmed price at $2149! 

Just before this I recorded a sale of some nice LSI with aluminum trim for $800.

Oh well, all you need is a willing seller and a willing buyer.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

Ahhhh....blue jean shorts.  You just don't see those much anymore.

Just reach back into your memories and try to picture this In your mind with your eyes closed:  Daisy Duke (Catherine Bach), in her blue jeans shorts, with a water hose and a bucket of sudsy water with a sponge...taking a break from washing "The General Lee" by soaking herself down with  a water-hose.....happy memories, huh?...

……..now fast forward about 45 years to now....and open your eyes.....

…..Daisy Duke "came out" twenty-five years ago and had a transgender operation, became a carpenter, with a hobby of building LaScalas….and look at the above pic of me again!

GOOD MORNING!!!!!!!!….GOTCHA!!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! 

12 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Just reach back into your memories and try to picture this In your mind with your eyes closed:  Daisy Duke (Catherine Bach), in her blue jeans shorts, with a water hose and a bucket of sudsy water with a sponge...taking a break from washing "The General Lee" by soaking herself down with  a water-hose.....happy memories, huh?...

……..now fast forward about 45 years to now....and open your eyes.....

…..Daisy Duke "came out" twenty-five years ago and had a transgender operation, became a carpenter, with a hobby of building LaScalas….and look at the above pic of me again!

GOOD MORNING!!!!!!!!….GOTCHA!!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! 

Dude....that's just not right!!  lol  Ahhhh...  But many happy memories of watching the Dukes of Hazard when I was a kid.  Until now...  

• 10 months later...

Greetings. I have a pair of LaScala's that I bought used in late 1976 or early 1977. $750 then. I've used them for bands on the road and local gigs for years until the mid 90's. In 1999 I opened a music venue and used them in the small room with subs. They've always sounded great. 

There are the industrial model; black heavy duty laminate type coating with metal trim and handles. The mid & high drivers and x-overs are original. One 15" woofer was blown. The engineer at the venue got them working however I don't know if one was replaced/reconed or possibly both were replaced. They're in the back of my warehouse now, but I'll be pulling them out in the next couple of months when I open a combination music store/consignment shop/live music venue. I'm wondering if anyone has any potential info on these models without any further info, and what I should replace the 15" drivers with. Are original type speakers available? Or is there a more modern upgrade that would maintain or increase their value/performance if possible? I may keep them or sell them, I haven't decided yet. If it's the latter is it best to maintain originality? Would an upgrade decrease the value, increase it or perhaps make no difference? I'm just looking for opinions and and any information or inferences that could be made with the limited info available. Any input would be much appreciated. Cheers!...Kilmo