GSG Audio MBM21 Subwoofer Review

MEH Synergy

Well, as previously stated, I'll share my quick thoughts on the sub after spending a little time with it.   As can be expected, of course the sub has enormous output capability when called upon.   And I did test that. I'm absolutely floored that (I'm assuming perhaps due to room cancelation of bass based on limited placement options) this single 21" in a smallish box for such a driver can clearly outperform my TWO JBL SRX718S subs that were maxed out in power.   How do I know this?  Everything in my living rorom and one room over completely shifted around and plenty of things fell (full thick glass of water included) when pushing the sub to around 75% I would estimate.  As far as musicality, this sub is very tight and punchy and blends extremely well with my 396s without calling attention to itself. I have it crossed at 65 hz with a 12 dB slope and powered by a bridged Crown K2 amp.   It is corner reinforced as I have no other option for placement and this position works exceptionally well for the sub in my room.   This is by far the best sub I have ever owned.   Aside from frequency extension on paper, when this sub hits the lows around its tuning frequency, it belts out some serious authority.   Regardless of genre of music, or type of bassline, sub stays well composed and doesn't exhibit any behavior so far that I am not pleased with. I honestly have zero negatives to state at this time (and I tried to come up with one, believe me).   These are an outright bargain compared to commercial offerings IMO and have my firm stamp of approval. Hope this helps some of you thay may be on the fence.   One and done for me, I'm very pleased.   

00v0v_9w3JewvLuKL_1200x900.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/30/2019 at 8:58 AM, Westcoastdrums said:

It absolutely does. What if I was to tell you I am using no EQ on the sub and no HPF (shhh don't tell John from GSG that part).  It has all the headroom I need, even if I want to get ridiculous occasionally.   

He will know if it was abused from over excursion, the high pass filter should be used to protect your investment.

44 minutes ago, jason str said:

He will know if it was abused from over excursion, the high pass filter should be used to protect your investment.

If I smoke the driver, obviously I will pay for a new one. I have never done so and don't plan on it happening with the most ridiculous sub I have ever owned either.  IMO really not needed for my application. If I was pushing it to the limits, absolutely would make sense and be foolish not to use one.  

49 minutes ago, jason str said:

2 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

If I smoke the driver, obviously I will pay for a new one. I have never done so and don't plan on it happening with the most ridiculous sub I have ever owned either.  IMO really not needed for my application. If I was pushing it to the limits, absolutely would make sense and be foolish not to use one.  

Just curious because I've been looking at a pair of their MBM with 18" drivers for use in a 2-way active set up. Can the proper protection be addressed with an active EQ (I would think so) over what is described on their site? My thinking is that as long as the frequencies that could be an issue don't get there all is well, right?

7 minutes ago, rplace said:

Just curious because I've been looking at a pair of their MBM with 18" drivers for use in a 2-way active set up. Can the proper protection be addressed with an active EQ (I would think so) over what is described on their site? My thinking is that as long as the frequencies that could be an issue don't get there all is well, right?

Depends on the active EQ and what is available on it (mono, stereo, 2 Way, 3 Way, variable or fixed frequencies as an example) and yes correct.   

2 hours ago, rplace said:

A high pass filter is best.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:01 PM, jason str said:

A high pass filter is best.

Yes, I agree. Even if the subwoofer is rugged and capable of excess excursion, it will ultimately perform and sound better when all the inaudible, unwanted subsonic signals are filtered out.

@Westcoastdrums , Your MBM21 looks awesome. I bet it frightens your neighbors who have survived some of the big SoCal earthquakes. 😮

12 hours ago, Tony T said:

What's your thoughts on the differences between this sub and the KPT-884-SW you sold

I haven't heard either one but it seems that your sub is made more for HT as it's tuned lower.  His more than likely Music.  Yours is a subwoofer, his is a mid bass module.

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2019 at 9:47 AM, Khornukopia said:

Your MBM21 looks awesome. I bet it frightens your neighbors who have survived some of the big SoCal earthquakes. 😮

Thanks.   I try not to piss my neighbors off too often, but with this sub it's hard.... 

Yeah, 

2 hours ago, jwc said:

On the website, He has you under "finished subs".  So you got this already assembled and painted?

Correct.   GSG built the sub and finished it for me.  They told me that they will now be offering such service to the general public after a little birdie convinced them to do so 🙄. The sub fits my needs well and isn't ridiculous in size for my small living room. Doesn't dominate the size of my 396s either.   For the money, it's a hell of a deal IMO.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 6/4/2019 at 3:25 PM, tulepeaktimber said:

I'm late on this thread but interested in opinions on 4 of the GSG 18's or 21's for music. My mains are RF-7's and I want better base . Not interested in HT sound quality ! Rob

I'm interested in this unit's sound quality for music as well. Too bad the thread starter never responded to your question.