Record cleaning setup?

14 hours ago, Audible Nectar said:

I've seen this around for a number of years re: static, would this be an anti-static solution?

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ZESTAT

Yes, the Zerostat gun does a great job eliminating static from records.  I have one of the older red ones, and use it before and after playing each record.  Static electricity is generated when the record spins, so the gun should always be used after a record is played, so you don't turn it into a literal dust magnet when you put it away.  It's less important to use it before playing the disc, but since the gun is right there, I use it before playing records as well.

The Zerostat gun is also handy for discharging the static electricity that makes bits of Styrofoam to stick to everything, so it makes it far easier to tidy up after cutting some of the foam. It can be used to make charged balloons fall off a wall, too.

For cleaning the stylus, the most effective device I've found is the Onzo Zerodust.  It's basically a little blob of goop that you lower the stylus into for a few seconds, then raise the tonearm and the dust and debris, if any, has been safely pulled off the stylus.  The lid has a built-in magnifier, so you can inspect the stylus whenever you like.

The two gadgets seem may expensive for what they are, but you only have to buy them once, since they seem to last for many years, and both of them do a great job.

On 3/29/2019 at 10:07 PM, Schu said:

Keeping your records clean in the first place and you won't need to clean them...

Sure, but don't you ever buy used records?  It's possible to find used records in great shape, but they can be dirty.  I bought a few LPs that were literally soiled.  When I held them under the tap, the water came off the disc brown-coloured, as soil was rinsed out of the grooves.  After a bit more cleaning, using distilled water, they played just fine, with little surface noise.

Again, I’m not trying to talk anyone out of their Zerostats, vacs, washers, etc., but using the Reg Williamson system, including the ant-static agent, Cyastat SN, renders records static free indefinitely.  Without a static charge, records don’t pull contaminants from the air.  Without a static charge, contaminants are no longer bonded to the vinyl and can be cleaned away.  After a Reg Williamson Cyastat laced PVA facial, it’s impossible to induce a static charge on a record.

I must admit, my use of vinyl is atypical.  I love to find records in the 3 for a $1 bargain bins, clean them up, rip them to FLAC, and trade them back in for more used gems.  Records that initially look and sound terrible usually look and sound great after a treatment.  Visible scratches don’t disappear, but it’s surprising how little impact they have on the sound after being cleaned and de-staticed.

Essentially all my playback is from a Pono player in balanced mode into a class D amp, but when I do play one of my few vinyl classics (Kind of Blue, DSOM, Time Out, Sheffield Lab direct to disc recordings, etc.) they are just as clean and static free as when they were treated to a PVA facial decades ago.

History shows that most are unwilling to put in the effort needed to source the ingredients, cook a batch of cleaner, and properly clean and destatic their records.  Heck, few take the time to even read the original The Audio Amateur articles, which is fine with me.  I have just enough Cyastat SN to last me the rest of my lifetime.  I don’t have enough to supply those unwilling to invest the time to do it properly once and for all.

YMMV

msg-6832-0-89220000-1447189627_thumb.jpg

TAA_articles.pdf

On 3/31/2019 at 6:39 PM, DizRotus said:

I disagree.  If you don’t eliminate static, the dirt is locked to the vinyl, which continues to attract contaminants.

Reg Williamson figured it out. 

post-6832-0-45400000-1444992769_thumb.jpg

TAA_articles.pdf 147.73 kB · 11 downloads

That's probably a good choice for cleaning Salvation Army bargains, which I find regularly, but I don't know how practical it would be to clean 500+ lps in a timely manner. I don't have a static problem after using my ultrasonic cleaning system. I've used PVA as a mold release agent on fiberglass molds, not sure if it's the same thing?

16 hours ago, kevinmi said:

That's probably a good choice for cleaning Salvation Army bargains, which I find regularly, but I don't know how practical it would be to clean 500+ lps in a timely manner. I don't have a static problem after using my ultrasonic cleaning system. I've used PVA as a mold release agent on fiberglass molds, not sure if it's the same thing?

You’re absolutely correct. It would take a long time to clean 500+ LPs with the Reg Williamson system.  Back in the days when I bought new albums I would first do an anti-static PVA peel before ripping the new disc to a digital file.  The result was a record with all but eliminated surface noise and a lifetime immunity to static.

PVA, as described by Re Williamson, is Poly Vinyl Alcohol.  I buy Elvanol made by DuPont.

I also endorse the ultrasonic approach. I put together a DIY ultrasonic set up and it works awesome. I bought the ultrasonic cleaner on ebay and used the motor unit from here
https://thevinylstack.com/ultrasonic-cleaning/ultra-sonic-spin-record-cleaning-kit/
And the filtration set up from here
https://www.cleanervinyl.com/micron-fluid-filtration.html

This DIY set up does virtually everything the more expensive ultrasonic cleaners do. It does however take up a lot of space.
The unit does take up a fair bit of room however which is why I have stepped up to a stand alone unit from Kirmuss Audio. I was going to put the DIY unit in the garage sale section. If you interested let me know. I will sell all of the above for a very fair price.  If you have a place to put it it is an excellent option.
Josh

Can you post some pics of your DIY cleaner system
Thanks

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

13 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I wonder if I ultrasonically cleaned a record that was previously cleaned with the PVA method, would I ruin the benefits of the antistaticness? (I made that word up)

The short answer is no.  In the second of the TAA articles they say the antistatic treatment, “ . . . survives even two washings with the famous England record washer machine.” After accidentally using too much of the anti-static agent, which made the record noisy, efforts to remove the anti-static agent using SOTA cleaning apparatuses were unsuccessful.  The way they removed the excess anti-static agent was the PVA peel.

More to the point, IME, once properly cleaned by the Reg Williamson PVA peel, including Cyastat SN, I’ve never seen/heard a record that ever needed to be cleaned again.

I also use the vinyl stack and a Vibrato ultrasonic cleaner.  It does better than the hand cleaning or VPI vacuum machine which I have owned.  It is ideal if you have a lot of records to clean.  You can clean 3 records at a time in about 6 minutes.  If you have 500 or more records this is a big deal.  If you have a smaller collection like under a 100 it may not be worth the investment.

E61A36D4-5638-4C49-832A-01606A7E18E4.jpeg

CF2F77C1-B27A-4BF7-97F7-B6BBAD15D1CE.jpeg

• 1 year later...

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/if-charles-kirmusss-record-cleaning-machine-and-regimen-correct-everyone-elses-wrong

Anyone use a Kirmuss?

https://www.ebay.com/i/184255800620?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=184255800620&targetid=883728556789&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9017391&poi=&campaignid=9248481315&mkgroupid=99191196172&rlsatarget=pla-883728556789&abcId=1141156&merchantid=118837591&gclid=CjwKCAjwnIr1BRAWEiwA6GpwNaVFSKkf93j4pBvNukExjnM76B1NH7JH9hBMHVHwYc_JEofMa0B-EBoCMMEQAvD_BwE

No idea if this e bay unit has any credibility. 

I have used the VPI for years and like everything in my system. Disc cleaning seems like the next endeavor to explore.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 6:39 PM, DizRotus said:

I disagree.  If you don’t eliminate static, the dirt is locked to the vinyl, which continues to attract contaminants.

Reg Williamson figured it out. 

post-6832-0-45400000-1444992769_thumb.jpg

TAA_articles.pdf 147.73 kB · 18 downloads

Which is why I add quaternary ammonium to my cleaning solution.  Even without it, ultrasonic removes coulomb induced forces in records.  I have hardwood floors throughout my house so there is no carpet to catch dust so airborne dust is a concern and it's easy to see the effect.   This is why the vacuuming methods are not suitable.  They induce a charge. Any other cleaning method than ultrasonic is a half measure.

• Like 1

Wood glue is PVA, Poly Vinyl Alcohol, the foundation of Reg Williamson’s cleaning system.  The Williamson method is like wood glue but much better, especially when Cyastat SN, or another anti-static agent, is added.  YMWV - Your mileage WILL vary.

• Like 1

Wood glue is PVA, Poly Vinyl Alcohol, the foundation of Reg Williamson’s cleaning system.  The Williamson method is like wood glue but much better, especially when Cyastat SN, or another anti-static agent, is added.  YMWV - Your mileage WILL vary.

*polyvinyl acetate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk