Klipschorns in the house!!!!

Duane

Hi Folks,

Klipschorns delivered earlier in the week!!!!! Not in place yet but they fit!! Sitting on dollies now-I do want to raise them up a bit though. I had posted earlier(smallish room for Klipschorn) and stated about not using wood as risers. Reevaluated that and perhaps thick about 2-3 inches thick slab or maybe an Ikea butcher block tabletop cut to fit underneath might work. There is a used Barn Wood seller nearby so will stop to take a look. I am assuming the top cap on the speaker would be the foot print underneath-you just cannot tip these speakers over for a quick peek without a crane!! Considering also to  polyurethane the wood slab to repel water if it gets into the room-would the polyurethane change any sonic signature? Part of purchase agreement was getting my Scot 399 Receiver updated with new caps and whatever else it needs. Unfortunately he does not have a Tube Tester so I am trying to locate or purchase one nearby. This is exciting!!!!

Thanks for the past suggestions

Regards,

Duane in Clearwatrer

IMG_0992.JPG

• Like 8

Hi Folks, Thanks for the replies so far!!

I live in a condo first floor so no sump pump allowed-I almost need permission from the Association to change my welcome mat!! I am right off Old Tampa Bay hence the reason to pick them up a bit and in a flood zone in the hurricane state-Florida!! I am also lucky that the two units abutting mine are owned  Michiganders so they are not here very during much of the year to my delight for listening pleasure. I imagine it will get pretty noisy when these are all set up!!!!!

Regards,

Duane in Clearwater

Well that's a different kind of issue. Just how high are you projecting the water to get? 

I hope you have flood insurance in addition to your named storm coverage.  

As long as whatever you are using for risers is solid and connected to the floor That will be fine. 

Good luck.  

18 hours ago, cincymat said:

As long as whatever you are using for risers is solid and connected to the floor That will be fine. 

Yes, solid and rigid, like a butcher block or the like (stained like the Khorns).  You could cut it to perfectly conform to the shape of the Khorn (?).  The main point would be to not have a cavity.

Or you could try pontoons. 🤓

4 hours ago, glens said:

Invert them into the ceiling corners!

Entirely doable and possibly worthwhile for where you live. Flooding in the Tampa area has, in the past, been problematic.

Bruce

Hi Folks,

Good ideas are being sent my way-thank you very much!! cupla comments.

cinycmat-if I could rub my crystal ball how high water   would rise, I'd be a bizallionaire and living in Tahiti or Paris!! I do have flood insurance and we have not had flooding right in this area but, we are in a flood zone

Seadog, Marvel-no indication yet of flooding-just being overly cautious

garyrc-yes, a solid mass under as you suggested cut to shape-perhaps plywood?. Pontoons would enable the music to just float in the room!!!!!!

ricktate, glens-yes right into the corner they will go. they appear to be late 1982 with AK2 crossover.

shakeydeal-just sitting in the middle of the room they sound pretty good!

Regards,

Duane in Clearwater

5 hours ago, Duane said:

garyrc-yes, a solid mass under as you suggested cut to shape-perhaps plywood?. Pontoons would enable the music to just float in the room!!!!!! 

Plywood doesn't like to get wet.  I'd think you would want something with less weird end grain than plywood, so you could stain it, although plywood end grain would not show much if you just painted it theater black.

My sister-in-law lives in Florida, and found an alligator sunning itself on her front lawn.   When the police car came, the alligator was unimpressed.  A hospital (or independent lab?) flooded down there and a lab tech backed up and found her heel pushing into an alligator.  It just plodded on in the water, and found its way out of the lab.

It is actually within the realm of possibility to mount them in a corner, upside down, pressing into the ceiling.  If you do that, mount the bass bin first, with its own strong bracket, giant angle irons, or reinforced shelf pushing up against the bottom (originally the top) of the bin.  As you know, they weigh a ton.  Then mount the top hat right under it.  I wouldn't trust the top hat to be strong enough to hold the weight of the bass bin. 

No sump pump allowed?  It sounds like the association is full of  :pwk_bs:

Keep them on the floor unless you continue the horn making something the same as the tophat for the bottom.  A K-horn should be locked into all boundaries as much as possible.  As soon as you raise it, unless that area is blocked off the same as the rest of the horn, that area (the raised component) is no longer a horn.

7 hours ago, Duane said:

shakeydeal-just sitting in the middle of the room they sound pretty good!

You've found a little secret which is Khorns sound pretty good even when NOT put in the ideal perfect place.  I had a pair which sat in the middle of the room beside each other and they sounded fantastic.  I think more important than corner placement is so position them with nothing in between.  This is a personal opinion, others know better than I, but that's what I think.

If you want to let someone know you have commented on their post type the @ sign and you will see a pop-up menu with names.  You have to click on the name, you can't just type it and the name will be highlighted in blue.  The person will receive a Notification in the Bell icon at the top right of the forum, @Shakeydeal and @Duane.

I know you are thinking to put the Khorns on solid risers but you also might try putting them on some rubber mats as well.  I am thinking of those ones that hook together like a jigsaw puzzle that are a half-inch thick.  You can get them cheap at Harbor Freight and you can cut them with a pair of scissors.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=floor+mats