Getting back that sound!

Heritage_Head

The quick run down. Sold house and sold just about everything audio durning the process. My sig just about sums whats left (some new reference bookshelf for surrounds and the town bike of subs polk psw10) Sub is 2 ft near field behind couch/futon. xo50 to heresys works great. 

So to the point.. Im in a house now somewhat settled in rent the top floor with low slanting cellings. The lowest it gets is about 50inch then up to around 6.5ft. In the front To each side of the tv and the stand I use I have a good 40" per side width available  (side wall to tv/stand). So basically im working with with 40w 50h (50 is worst case only if i use all 40wide. Anything less than 40 wide means the 50h goes up more and more fast. In a perfect world id be in 904 mode looking and looking. The 904s easily are the best speakers my ears have yet to hear. Nothing even close if im being honest with myself.  (corns and 7ii were with all due respect small toys. Although cornwall do have edge in lowest end bass for sure being designed as full range speaker somewhat. Sub not needed imo, and 904s simply not designed to play in the 20s (no point really). More bass as a naked statement is often misleading  or possibly misunderstood..My meaning was its more noticeable. Its like the main attraction if that makes sense (of cornwalls).  and in my experience imposable not to notice its bass with it being imo cornwalls biggest muscle, and most impressive  part of there overall sound. The 904 top is sorta senior management in comparison and in my experience never has shown any issues being drown out even a ridiculously heavy bass passages that got mixed and edited by a deaf or drunk engineer. Any of you big horns guys or girls no what i mean. Effortless. Nothing gets washed out or overpowered in my experience.

My GOAL here get that sound back. With something that fits on the sides upfront  and of course has that sound. Like that voice so large that it almost stretches the room lol. My first thought was la scala. They would fit and based on what iv read might get me close enough idk. Budget can stretch a few K. But really id like to spend about 1-1.5k (a project like missing a woof or tweets blown type thing) easy fixes even for a still noobish klipsch groupie like me. But I would stretch to 2k for the right right deal.

Now im kinda wondering is there something in the pro line I should look at that fits the space, budget, and still has the sound? My hands on experience with LS is not enough to have a personal opinion so all comparisons welcome. Would they get close enough to 904s that its in that weight class? or super close? Is my speaker size restraints a possible deal breaker?

Any advise please let it rip. Topics/ideas I haven't underlined or even mentioned bring it. Other than budget, size to fit, and having that IT. Im open to anything klipsch (old new ugly pretty little mod work w/e)  Thanks 

• Like 1

Glad to see you're doing ok Ryan

The 396's might have what you're looking for. Same 510 horn as your 904's had. A couple members have them and might chime in. Not sure what they run or are within your budget. Try giving Cory a PM @MetropolisLakeOutfitters

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/KI-396-SMA-II-Data-Sheet-v05.pdf

https://www.klipsch.com/pro/permanent-installation

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words Billy. Top notch as always bro..

Hows your world? kids good I hope. You sell your 2nd set of bells(almost positive you did). Man talk about a deal on those 2 pairs. Im watching and watching waiting for that spouse or 3p just trying to make room for a tomato garden. They almost pay you to take them lmao. 

6 minutes ago, Cinema_head said:

Thanks for your kind words Billy. Top notch as always bro..

Hows your world? kids good I hope. You sell your 2nd set of bells(almost positive you did). Man talk about a deal on those 2 pairs. Im watching and watching waiting for that spouse or 3p just trying to make room for a tomato garden. They almost pay you to take them lmao. 

All is good, thanks for asking. Still have one pair and no plans to sell. 

Downsizing sucks but you'll have a blast I'm sure with the rebuilding.......I see you still have the pink flowers ...LOL! :emotion-21: :emotion-21:

There out there 😜.

kp-396 definitely would make the weight class. Ill check but I think those have a k-69 driver (like 3 way jubs i think guessing sooo) and not the b&e75 or w/e it is. No clue if thats better or what. Those are spendy new and pretty hard to find. But good call those make the list sound, size just need availability and $ to line up..

Also some cornscalas probably fall in that weight class as well. Im currently wanting w/e I get to be a mostly klipsch speaker. All in a perfect world.

With respect to all the mostly no longer klipsch from so many mods. its just personal preference not quality or performance issues at all. pwk drivers as he picked and design. A little mod probably ok. Again I realize a lot of the changes are upgrades and done to better the speakers. 🤙

I will echo the above recommendation for the 396 if they are in your budget. I have 2 pairs of 904's and a set of 402 horns that I sometimes run as a 942. The 396 fits my space better and Indont feel like I have given up much in the process. The new 510 horn and driver is so smooth. If the 396 is outside of your budget I would like for used 362's or 301's. I remember your previous setup so you know what the pro line offers!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rockhound said:

I will echo the above recommendation for the 396 if they are in your budget. I have 2 pairs of 904's and a set of 402 horns that I sometimes run as a 942. The 396 fits my space better and Indont feel like I have given up much in the process. The new 510 horn and driver is so smooth. If the 396 is outside of your budget I would like for used 362's or 301's. I remember your previous setup so you know what the pro line offers!!

What do the 396 run used that you have seen?

I like the 396's myself.  At halfway close distances I felt that the 904's were obvious that there was a horn sitting on top of woofers.  I just think the 396's are voiced better, the drivers blend together better, the crossover area is more seamless, hard to tell where the woofer ends and the horn begins at closer distances.  

• Like 2