Getting back that sound!

Heritage_Head

5 hours ago, glens said:

396 and 362: same (basic) box and woofer (pro line).  362: same mumps mid horn as used recently in ForteIII (don't know which usage first) but pro line driver (different from Forte).  Same tweeter assembly (entire) as Forte (don't know which usage first).  This all from all three spec sheets.

362 spec sheet shows at least at top and bottom of range flatter output curve than 396.

I own F IIIs and know first hand how excellent the top two horns are.  They are superb.

I should have looked but I thought the 396 used same woof as the 904s. But you are right they do uses same 15 driver as 362. The k-45 15s used in kpt stuff is pretty beefy compared to a k-48 (even with a upgrade over the stock 48), 

Chorus uses k-48 15 also. and they both use the k-79 tweets and mid is dam near a clone to chorus k-61 and k-62 respectively. chorus and ki-362 have way more the same then a few small changes. 

23 minutes ago, Cinema_head said:

I should have looked but I thought the 396 used same woof as the 904s. But you are right they do uses same 15 driver as 362. The k-45 15s used in kpt stuff is pretty beefy compared to a k-48 (even with a upgrade over the stock 48), 

Chorus uses k-48 15 also. and they both use the k-79 tweets and mid is dam near a clone to chorus k-61 and k-62 respectively. chorus and ki-362 have way more the same then a few small changes. 

The k-45 and k-48 are almost identical from the outside appearance I believe the difference is the k-45 is 8 ohm used for running in pairs and the k-48 is 4 ohm. When I was building my pro CornScala's I tried both and compared them side by side I could not hear a difference between the two; they sounded the same and seemed to have the same sensitivity / output.

I've said it here a few times the new KI-362 II with the mumps on the mid horn is probably the closest thing we'll ever see to a Chorus III. If they put together an actual Chorus III with a larger mid horn like the CF-4 horn with the k-55v mid driver it would dust just about everything else around it and would give the La Scala a good run for the money probably why we'd never see anything like that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

The k-45 and k-48 are almost identical from the outside appearance I believe the difference is the k-45 is 8 ohm used for running in pairs and the k-48 is 4 ohm. When I was building my pro CornScala's I tried both and compared them side by side I could not hear a difference between the two; they sounded the same and seemed to have the same sensitivity / output.

I've said it here a few times the new KI-362 II with the mumps on the mid horn is probably the closest thing we'll ever see to a Chorus III. If they put together an actual Chorus III with a larger mid horn like the CF-4 horn with the k-55v mid driver it would dust just about everything else around it and would give the La Scala a good run for the money probably why we'd never see anything like that. 

You know what your right as well. I was all ready to post pics of the drivers supporting my take. But those k-48 as you said look really close in build to the k-45. Iv had a k-33 and the k-45 side by side by side ish I kinda just assumed that a cornwalls 15 would be at least pretty close in build vs a chorus 15. I am corrected twice now on this comparison. I submit 

mercy 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Not going to find 396's used as I've never heard of anyone buying them that didn't love them.  I think I was the first on the forum to get a pair and I can't imagine ever selling them.

They just NEED a beastly sub (factor that into the cost of buying a pair) and they will amaze you for some time to come. It is incredible how they come alive as the volume increases. They sound wonderful at reasonable volumes (read NOT low volumes).   To be honest, I bought the MBM21 sub to keep up with these speakers.   They truly have incredible output clarity. For those with smaller spaces such as what I am dealing with, I don't think they can be beat honestly.   I know Carl said he feels they need to be outside to breath.  I don't.   I have used them inside and outside and compared the differences.   At high volumes, I'm sure they sound better outside.   Rarely do I get to use them anywhere near their full potential though... Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

What's your budget for this project? Do you have spare amplifiers available you could use for active crossovers? A K510 sits nicely on top of a Heresy... Won't have the deep bass of the 396 but the Heresy has great mid bass punch to which you could add a single sub to cover the low octave.

I've ordered the K904HF bundle from Cory, which is the K510 horn with a K691 driver and a stand. I'll be combining this with a pair of H2 I have that are currently unused to solve a similar space problem to yours. I'll let you know how they sound vs the stock H2s when I have them up and running.

3 minutes ago, MenloBob said:

What's your budget for this project? Do you have spare amplifiers available you could use for active crossovers? A K510 sits nicely on top of a Heresy... Won't have the deep bass of the 396 but the Heresy has great mid bass punch to which you could add a single sub to cover the low octave.

I've ordered the K904HF bundle from Cory, which is the K510 horn with a K691 driver and a stand. I'll be combining this with a pair of H2 I have that are currently unused to solve a similar space problem to yours. I'll let you know how they sound vs the stock H2s when I have them up and running.

Although I see from another thread you used to have 402s. If your used to that sound it's going to be hard to replicate.

18 minutes ago, Cinema_head said:

I had 904s never had the 402s.

In that case this might a good path forward. But you would need a DSP unit to do it right.  

My 510s arrived last night and I just got them setup with a pair of old bookshelves until I retrieve my Heresies from storage. 

2A27EB0B-099F-4ECC-829C-88C18A32851A.jpeg

Edited by MenloBob
Attached photo
  • Like 1