Getting back that sound!

Heritage_Head

I bought a pair of 1974 La Scalas back in 2006.  They're what started me on this rewarding journey, and now I have 10 Klipsch speakers.  Those La Scalas are now my side surround speakers, and still sound great.

About 4 months after I got them, I replaced the original capacitors with Bob Crites's Sonicaps and listened for a few days.  The speakers sounded noticeably clearer, so that was good.  Then I installed the CT125 tweeters that I'd received from him at the same time.  The old K-77 tweeters that were in the speakers had a 2-3 dB difference in output, which messed up the stereo image, so the CT125 tweeters fixed that right up, since their output matched within 0.5 dB.  They also have a clearer sound.

These are just a couple of suggestions for you to think about after you get accustomed to the sound of your new (to you) La Scalas.

Happy listening! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Islander said:

I bought a pair of 1974 La Scalas back in 2006.  They're what started me on this rewarding journey, and now I have 10 Klipsch speakers.  Those La Scalas are now my side surround speakers, and still sound great.

About 4 months after I got them, I replaced the original capacitors with Bob Crites's Sonicaps and listened for a few days.  The speakers sounded noticeably clearer, so that was good.  Then I installed the CT125 tweeters that I'd received from him at the same time.  The old K-77 tweeters that were in the speakers had a 2-3 dB difference in output, which messed up the stereo image, so the CT125 tweeters fixed that right up, since their output matched within 0.5 dB.  They also have a clearer sound.

These are just a couple of suggestions for you to think about after you get accustomed to the sound of your new (to you) La Scalas.

Happy listening! 

Thanks good info indeed....

Had 81 cornwalls a few years back that I did xo on from bob, and wow was that ever an eye opener. Very very much recommend that as well! Also tried the ct125 tweeters but went back to the k-77. They imo sounded better in the those corns. They lost some of the magic I guess to my ears. But in 73 heresys I liked the swap to the ct125. If I had the corns still could swap the k-77s with the ct125 in the heresys to see if it was the k-77s in the corns being better, hotter idk than the k-77s in the heresys? I've read the k-77s as you talked about, have measured uneven #s over the years in output. So could be that too? Or the fact that the k-77 in general is hotter than the ct125 might actually be a benefit with the corns?

After few months the caps for sure and then in a few more swap the tweeters and see. Fun stuff! 

• Like 1