Opinions on Primaluna?

ThedukeMW

I was running a Perreaux 3150 amp and SM2 preamp with Infinity Reference Standard 2.5's.   When I put together my new system I went w/Prima Luna paired with Deang's modded networks in my LS.  Ahhhhmazing difference!  Used a Schiit Mani for my phono stage paired w/my Linn table.  Sounds fantastic!  :)

• Like 2

I am very happy with the sound of this amp. I was told it would generate 5 amps per channel. Which seems adequate to my ears. 

Not sure what i am missing out on. It would seem the only thing better would be if the musicians appeared to me...lol.

before i found this i was entertaining buying the Primaluna just to hear what tubes bring to the table. 

I am a beginner and this forum has been real helpful in the past. 

Here are a couple pictures of the amp. I am mechanically inclined but not skilled in electronics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/of2nybrxa8pqzd2/IMG_1570.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrlsjwsh0h22y2j/IMG_1573.jpg?dl=0

• Like 1

Love my PrimaLuna Prologue Premium power amp... I have a hybrid-mixed setup in that I use a Marantz SR7012 as my home theater avr however the PrimaLuna power amp powers the front L/R mains. So the center channel (Academy) and the sub (R12SW) are powered by the Marantz but the front channel (Forte III's) is powered by the PrimaLuna. It works very well as a 3.1 theater system. For playing 2 channel music, the Marantz is my preamp and the the PrimaLuna powers the L/R stereo channels. I tend to stream either Tidal or Spotify through the Marantz with AirPlay and have found the EL34's in the PrimaLuna are magical with Jazz and classical music... the sparkle and expansive soundstage tubes impart to the music is amazing. I have a set of Gold Lion KT77's on the way and have already replaced the stock silver label 12au7's with some Mullards.   Unfortunately buying a great tube amp like a PrimaLuna can make even the hardiest soul susceptible to the tube rolling disease.  

PL Amp.JPG

Edited by Dustyzz
added photo
  • Like 1

I have a newpair of F111  and was very close to buying a primaluna , then decided to buy a much chesper tube amp tp see if I liked the tube sound , thinking I could not hear much difference , well , still have not gone tube yet ,  looking forward to your experience 

Kicking this up to the top. I too am interested in hearing some feedback on both the Prologue Premium amp and Prologue preamp. My typical MO would be to save my pennies and go for the one(s) with upgraded parts, like the Dialogue, because I like to do things once and not wonder what if. However these are local and used so no shipping which makes things very easy. Past gear has been MK IIIs, BBX, Scott 222 and some I can come up with right now. Currently I have VRDs and Wright 3.5 SET mono blocks as well as a Wright WLA-12A pre.

Any feedback on the preamp? Is it quiet?

Any direct comparisons between Dialogues and Prologues? Worth the extra time and money to seek on out. I've always been keen on hearing some PL gear.

• Like 1

Yes in deed, I have the Dialogue Premium pre amp & it is dead quiet with the Oris horns . As you know with all this gear it comes down a lot to personal sound preferences . I did several shoot outs with various pre's & this one was golden for me . If you have not seen Upscale Audios video on this pre - watch it - full of good info . Just the feel of the volume pot speaks of the high quality of the build its like a Mercedes compared to a Model T . I have rolled a few of the stock signal tubes for vintage 12AU7 ' & so far have not noticed much improvement over the stock tubes,,  there that good . Harpy to help with any other questions you might have Rplace .

• Like 1

I have a PrimaLuna line stage preamplifier that is exceptional in front of the right amplifier.  PrimaLuna has been ignorantly bashed on occasion in the past simply because of that fact that they're not built close to home -- in Europe, Canada, or the U.S.  However, they ARE designed in the west.  If they were both designed and built in Europe or N. America, they would be much more expensive than they are.  One thing I can say for certain:  The craftsmanship of all PrimaLuna components is absolutely impeccable.  I work on tube equipment all the time and can say that I have rarely seen workmanship nearly as good as theirs.  Not only that, quality control is very tight, and it both shows and....well....also sounds.

I mentioned above that my PrimaLuna preamp sound incredible with the right equipment.  That's something that can be said for many hi-end products.  This particular preamp has a highish output impedance, and it's at it's best when used with shorter lengths of interconnect and amplifier with higher input impedances.  At least that's what I have found, so am just speaking from my own experience and observations.  I find it to have a richer rather than analytic sound, and it sounds particularly 'right' with an amplifier that tends to be more on the cool or 'bright' side of neutral.  My wife often asks, "Can we use the PrimaLuna with the Hafler power amp again?"  :)  She has the lingo down! 

In addition to all of that, their fit and finish is really amazing at the price point.  They look awesome!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cornman said:

Yes in deed, I have the Dialogue Premium pre amp & it is dead quiet with the Oris horns .

Cornman,

Wow!  Oris Horns!  Very nice!  

What drivers are you using with them, and what do you have for LF?  I'm using either Lowther DX4s or PM5As in rear loaded horns, and other Lowther users have told me I haven't heard these drivers at their best until I've heard them in good front horns.

No doubt your system must sound amazing!

=== if not mistaken the PL gear is either made by or made in the same factory as Cayin. The similarities between the two, particularly early Cayin models, the TA30 in particular, are near identical. As the story goes Paul Grezbeck?(sp) of Bizzy Bee audio imported the first Cayin tube amp the TA30. Impeccable build for around $500, around 2005-2007 time. Look at the TA30 and the PLuna, near identical. Still the exact blue automotive finish, faceplate now silver instead of bronze/gold of the TA. Being the bigger fish Kevin Deal struck up a relationship with PLuna, pushed Paul G to the side and had Cayin build their designs. As I said this was the “story” I was told. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, erik2A3 said:

One thing I can say for certain:  The craftsmanship of all PrimaLuna components is absolutely impeccable.  I work on tube equipment all the time and can say that I have rarely seen workmanship nearly as good as theirs.  Not only that, quality control is very tight, and it both shows and....well....also sounds.

Happy to hear a builder like your self confirm my view of the P Luna gear . I also agree the sound is a richer rather than analytic sound which I seem to prefer & also why it works with a Bob Latino 120 amp much better then i would have expected . Tried a Dennis Had set amp , but it was not for me .  I am now trying out a 1626 tube set amp that joesporster has sent me & hope too try out other set amps as well for thats what I usually prefer with super high sensitivity like the Oris & the Jubilees that I formally had . I am using the Tang Bang drivers , have not yet had the opportunity to try Lother or others . For LF I am using the stock Cornwall . No real complaints as is , but per usual with most of us always looking for  a the better mouse trap . 🤩

• Like 1

While were still on this subject - the Prima Luna has a device they call "AC offset killer " . Erick maybe you can explain for us what that does or how it works . I think it is Kevin Deal that says, that's what makes the Lunas have no transformer noise ( background hiss etc. ). I have high house voltage in our area usually about 123V too 117V . Bob Latino told me his amps need a variac because the amp design is set at 117 volts & any change in that changes the tube plate voltage . I contacted Prima Luna & asked them about my wall voltage and they said no worries that was not enough swing to bother the Dialogue at all . They did not say if that is due to the Offset devise .

IMG_2172.thumb.JPG.088b89c70ca0cdfb0a98c4d5cf36e173.JPGIMG_2164.thumb.JPG.efca95bc248f4868f9d38214acb18584.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks all for the great info. As usual I was in a hurry so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on both the preamp and the amp before anyone wrote back. I can only guess that since they are both made by Primaluna and they're both the prologue series that the preamp and amp would match well. 

Initial impressions are very nice but not over the moon like so many reviews I've read. Agree on the fit finish feel appearance all top-notch as @jacksonbart used to say.

It's always fun to have something new and put it through its paces I think I enjoy the amp more then the preamp. Then again I've mostly been listening to SET lately so this is more rock friendly, in your face in a good way and toe-tapping. The soundstage is actually very wide and very deep. I've had a couple of those moments when I'm wandering off and hear something and my head just snaps to one of the speakers and says oh my.

Initially I was not fond of the PL branded el34 tubes. I put in my kt88s and some Telefunken input tubes and it really sings. Now I'm very anxious to compare the PL amp with my VRDs. After a bit of rack reorganization I have got to revisit the el34 I soldered up a couple of new XLR to RCA cables between my ex Xilica and the amp and it was much quieter. I'm guessing the PL amp was more sensitive than the Wright monos to the $6  microphone cable I was using when I needed a quick cable. I've been swapping them all with belden brilliance and these were the last two to get replaced. I'm really not a believer in cable hype but these surely made a difference. I'm thinking it was the shielding.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rplace said:

I've been swapping them all with belden brilliance and these were the last two to get replaced. I'm really not a believer in cable hype but these surely made a difference. I'm thinking it was the shielding.

I am not a believer in cable hype either but there are so many good comments about the Belden wire especially the Belden 8402 wire & its economical enough that I think I will give it a trial test . Belden "Brillance " is that one of there newer products ?

1 hour ago, Cornman said:

I am not a believer in cable hype either but there are so many good comments about the Belden wire especially the Belden 8402 wire & its economical enough that I think I will give it a trial test . Belden "Brillance " is that one of there newer products ?

I'll check the actual number. From what I gather the industry-standard in studios and concert Halls. Balanced cable for XLR connections. Very low noise for long runs of microphone cable. I use it normally on balanced ends and solder the neutral and ground together on RCA ends. 

EDIT: here ya go

https://www.parts-express.com/belden-brilliance-8412-20-awg-2c-mic-line-instrument-cable-tinned-copper-braid-shield-per---102-1250

• Like 1