Drop in tweeter replacements for Kipsch AA network (Belles)

OK, the experimentation continues.

I want to experiment with tweeters. Using K77 (round) in a pair of Belle Klipsch, have the solder terminal mids, want to play with best tweeter options which will

work on my AA networks. I like the round alnico versions as they are forgiving but would like more extension as I'm tweaking the 2 channel rig. Thought about just doing a square magnet version but I see all these other models discussed here, so I had to ask first. What's smoother??

I'm also gonna play with the woofers too (Eminence Kappa 15C) and I want to experiment with the tweets too.

If it matters, it's tube gear (VRDs/Peach, later to NBS pre).

I've had this stuff in the mental can for a while, now it's time to play 🙂

At this time the alnico versions sometimes have lost magnetic field strength. 

Saw some plots of drivers that were rolling off before 10k. 

The CT-120 should extend past your hearing limit. And should stay consistent for a long time.

The CT-120 is the way to go.

I have them and the CT-125’s. The 125’s are sweet, but the 120’s are sweeter.

I am also using Kappa 15C’s in one pair of bass bins.

I think any “perceived” loss of bass by switching out the K-33 is a direct result of the “definite” increase in mid-bass the Kappa 15C brings to any application. It is immediately noticeable. 

The only issue with the Kappa 15C’s is the gasket. It is similar to the foam a pool-noodle is made of and compresses more each time you tighten the screws. So much so that eventually the woofer will slap on the motorboard when cranked tight.

Some have suggested an aftermarket gasket. In my FH-1’s it was not required due to the design. In my LaScala bins one of them produced a buzz at spirited levels.

I whole-heartedly preferred the Kappa 15C over the (venerable) K-33 and K-43 in any application yet. 

I have yet to try the Crites woofers...

I have the CT-120's and A-55-G's in my Belle clones I built late 2017.  Now I don't have a direct comparison of what they were before and after as I built them from scratch with all new drivers.  I did, however, replace a pair of K-77's with CT120's in a pair of '78 Cornwalls I bought summer 2017 and it was a definite improvement.  But, not enough for me to keep the Cornwalls as I really wanted Belles.  I only have about 2-1/2 months play time on the new drivers and haven't heard my Belles in 12 months as they are stored at a friends while our house is being built (in finishing stage now).

I also built a pair of AA crossovers for what I would consider quite less than buying them.  Quite happy with how they turned out.

I used a new pair of K-33-E woofers in mine so no idea how they would compare to the Kappa 15c.  But I bought K-33's for a lot cheaper than a new pair of Kappa 15c's run so it was an easy choice.  No regrets on that.  I'm going to eventually build a pair of the T-18 subs, I think they are called, to go with them to augment the low end.

20171209_194532-1280x720.thumb.jpg.08cc4b822a9ef2b98865b4283cdaa258.jpg

20171209_151248-1024x576.jpg

I was so pleased with the smooth, silky sound of Fastrac tweeter horns and B&C De-120 drivers, I bought 3 more for my Heresy center and surrounds.  The tractrix horn is a home run!

If you AA networks have not been re-capped you should do that first. But I recommend the 4500hz option from Crites plus you can put it back to A or AA. I would also point out that Belles do not use AA networks originally.  Correction....got it off the post of Klipsch crossovers. 

BelleAb2.jpg

3 hours ago, ricktate said:

If you AA networks have not been re-capped you should do that first. But I recommend the 4500hz option from Crites plus you can put it back to A or AA. I would also point out that Belles do not use AA networks originally. 

BelleAb.jpg

Belles DID use the AA network originally. I have a set of Crites crossovers (motor run style, from when those were still available) and have played with the A/AA swapover. AAs won handily to my ears. Hence the move to the V-Cap OIMP AA build. I've been playing with the resistor mod to knock down the midrange 3db, and like the result of that, too. Might move to the 6.8uf in place of the 13 to make that change permanent.

Just now, jimjimbo said:

I have some new ClarityCap 6.8uf if you are interested.

If I do it, I'm going to use the V-Caps just as are in the networks now. It's $165 for a pair of these, but they have shown their mettle in terms of just "getting out of the way".

I have another preamp coming in here and won't make these changes permanent until I do some further testing.

Just now, Audible Nectar said:

If I do it, I'm going to use the V-Caps just as are in the networks now. It's $165 for a pair of these, but they have shown their mettle in terms of just "getting out of the way".

I have another preamp coming in here and won't make these changes permanent until I do some further testing.

Gotcha.  Have fun.

15 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Gotcha.  Have fun.

I do appreciate the offer, though. Many times such offers led to experiments that paid off large 🙂 I've had these changes lined up in my head from reading here and suspect I'll get a lot of the results the reviews report. Now that I've got some funds and have made some decisions on the planned "reorganization" for the systems here, it's "go time" 🙂

18 hours ago, avguytx said:

I have the CT-120's and A-55-G's in my Belle clones I built late 2017.  Now I don't have a direct comparison of what they were before and after as I built them from scratch with all new drivers.  I did, however, replace a pair of K-77's with CT120's in a pair of '78 Cornwalls I bought summer 2017 and it was a definite improvement.  But, not enough for me to keep the Cornwalls as I really wanted Belles.  I only have about 2-1/2 months play time on the new drivers and haven't heard my Belles in 12 months as they are stored at a friends while our house is being built (in finishing stage now).

I also built a pair of AA crossovers for what I would consider quite less than buying them.  Quite happy with how they turned out.

I used a new pair of K-33-E woofers in mine so no idea how they would compare to the Kappa 15c.  But I bought K-33's for a lot cheaper than a new pair of Kappa 15c's run so it was an easy choice.  No regrets on that.  I'm going to eventually build a pair of the T-18 subs, I think they are called, to go with them to augment the low end.

20171209_194532-1280x720.thumb.jpg.08cc4b822a9ef2b98865b4283cdaa258.jpg

20171209_151248-1024x576.jpg

I'd like to see/read/hear more on the A-55s. Somebody should "roadshow" these. I'm running the solder terminal k55s now and appreciated the change to that driver from the standard Alnico push terminals but as always from reading here the new versions have me curious.

Did I mention that these deserve a "roadshow"?

5 hours ago, glens said:

What the hell is that a schematic of?  Woofer full-range?  And what's the value of the inductor in series with the cap across the tweeter?

BelleAb2.jpg

Got it off Klipsch crossover post from Jan. 2010.....