Can you connect the R-41PMs to a reciever?

miketoda

I bought the R-41PM bookshelf speakers at Best Buy, not knowing they were designed to work without a receiver.  I figured that I would still be able to hook them up the traditional way.

But I hooked them up via speaker wire to my Onkyo TX-NR636 and it does not appear to be working.  Only sound is coming out of the left passive speaker.  Nothing out of the powered one.  Are these just not going to work at all?

Edited by miketoda

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Your Onkyo receiver is redundant. With the provided speaker cable, you connect the righ  speaker (the powered one) to the left one. There is no need for a receiver/amp as the powered  speaker has that (and much more).  If you have - next to your turntable - other analogue rca input devices, like a cd player and a tape player, you can buy a 'switch' for them and connect the switch to the powered speaker through the AUX input. I have a switch  that cost about 20 dollars (it has 1 mini-jack input and 3 rca inputs): https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000MMLOJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll need a cable that has rca on one side and mini-jack on the other, to connect the switch to the powered speaker's mini-jack input.

Looks like you only have a zone 2 pre out with that reciever, could play zone 2 hook up but only in 2 channel stereo. Your reciever does not have 7 channel pre out for surround sound. I would return them and get a passive speaker that will work with your reciever unless you only want to use them for 2 channel hook up to the zone 2 pre out. If you try zone 2 don't forget to set reciever to zone 2.

Some CD/DVD  players will have surround sound pre out,  OPPO comes to mind but there are others. That could be another option for you but I think returning the speakers and getting different ones is easiest solution. GL

Looks like rca input on speakers are only for phone input so zone 2 pre out from reciever may not work. Only thing that may work is usb port from receiver to speakers but reviews do not state if usb from receiver is input or output, if output it should work if input it won't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, glens said:

OPPO has got out of the disc player business some time ago.

True - Used,  just an example other companies have DVD players with pre outs.

What are you wanting to use speakers for? 2 channel stereo, turn table, CD player, DVD movies surround sound?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...