Replacing KSW-15

Shane

After over a decade of great service, the KSW-15's amp finally died.  Support said they don't carry them anymore.  I'm looking at the R-115SW.  I loved the sound and power of the KSW-15.  I listen to more music than watching movies.  I keep seeing a lot of talk about the R-115SW being too BOOMY.  I never thought the KSW-15 was too BOOMY.  Anyone with direct experience with both of them?

I saw people talking about that on another forum, but they said the woofer is 16 ohms, and they couldn't find an amp for that.  If I have to get a new woofer, a new amp, and possibly mod the box, I'd just as soon go with something new.  I'll take a look on parts express though.  Thank you!

I went down to NFM and listened to the SVS PB-2000, 4000, and the R-115SW.  The PB-2000 was no where close to filling the room like the R-115SW.  The 4000 had more low end oomph for sure, but at $2K, it was way more than I wanted to spend.  I went with the R-115SW, and it sounds great.  It seems to crush the KSW-15 in every way I can hear.  I can hear notes in bass lines with it that the KSW-15 muddled.  So far so good!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 8:36 PM, Shane said:

After over a decade of great service, the KSW-15's amp finally died.  Support said they don't carry them anymore.  I'm looking at the R-115SW.  I loved the sound and power of the KSW-15.  I listen to more music than watching movies.  I keep seeing a lot of talk about the R-115SW being too BOOMY.  I never thought the KSW-15 was too BOOMY.  Anyone with direct experience with both of them?

What mains were you running with the SW15?  ALSO, if you DON'T opt to repair your SW-15 through repair or replacement of its plate amp, please PM me with how much you will sell it for and City, State you are in...thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 7:46 PM, Shane said:

I went down to NFM and listened to the SVS PB-2000, 4000, and the R-115SW.  The PB-2000 was no where close to filling the room like the R-115SW.  The 4000 had more low end oomph for sure, but at $2K, it was way more than I wanted to spend.  I went with the R-115SW, and it sounds great.  It seems to crush the KSW-15 in every way I can hear.  I can hear notes in bass lines with it that the KSW-15 muddled.  So far so good!

I don't know if the R-115SW Amps have been upgraded/fixed or not but there were lots failures in the past.