Excellent KLF30's where the rubber met the road.

Dave A

8 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

I just ordered a new 4.5" poly dust cap, along with new rubber surrounds from online vendors. It's nice to see that rubber surrounds are more widely available now, instead of just the foam type. I still may end up needing a new woofer, we shall see. Thanks for all the input! 🙂

Congrats on the great deal and ability to find parts, I hope you can get it all worked out! My brother has a pair of 30's and I'm honestly amazed every time I visit they are great sounding speakers with plenty of low end thump.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

The new replacement k-31 from Klipsch that I have seen use a standard paper cone and accordion surround like the Heresy woofers, not the same as the original graphite cones with rubber rolled surround. Crites woofers look the same as the factory replacements except with black paper cones IIRC, I would imagine going either route would work just fine but I personally would replace all 4 at once so they match. Once you figure the cost of replacing all 4 woofers that puts the Ciare woofer upgrade just a few bucks more for what appears to be a superior woofer, which is probably the route I would take if I were to buy 4 new woofers. 

Specswise, Ciare woofers deserve a good look for sure. But I would still do a software simulation before pulling the trigger on that.

• Like 1

Over the years it's been stated quite a few times that the KLF-30 cabinet volume is too low. How low....I don't know. I have two pairs of KLF-30's and I've used the original K-31's, the K-31E and now the Ciare HW321.

There's no doubt that the Ciare is a better performer. If the Ciare's specs don't exactly line up with the original Klipsch woofers it makes me wonder if that between that and the inaccurate cabinet volume maybe two wrongs do in fact equal a right in this case. I spent 10 years with the original woofers and a little over a year with the Ciare's. I'm just calling it the way I hear it and to me that's what matters most.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Specswise, Ciare woofers deserve a good look for sure. But I would still do a software simulation before pulling the trigger on that.
That would be cool to see the numbers.

SWL, have you had an opportunity to make measures (frequency response and impedance) on the modified KLF 30s? Did the substitution of woofers  require any modifications to the crossover? Did the port geometry require modification?

I am trying to get a sense of how easy or simple this process might be?

SWL, have you had an opportunity to make measures (frequency response and impedance) on the modified KLF 30s? Did the substitution of woofers  require any modifications to the crossover? Did the port geometry require modification?
I am trying to get a sense of how easy or simple this process might be?
No mods whatsoever. Too good to be true? It almost seems like it but like I said I'm going strictly by how I hear it with a speaker I've spent 10 years with. Sweet spot, room treatments etc. No measurements so I would really be interested if someone was to do so.