Tweeters replacement

ronb

I know this isn't a question about Klipsch but there much more activity here than on other forums. My question is, are there any good replacements for

the 035Ti in the JBL L100T? I still have the ones that came out and have bought those $69.00 knockoffs ( which sound pretty good) I don't really want to buy

another pair of 035ti that is decades old and will or needs repair. Wondering if there is anything out there today that would fit the bill, don't care if it is textile dome or what not.

In fact I would prefer not going back with a Titanium tweeter...;Many thanks

New diaphragms.are available to make old ones like new.  Look through the tweeters at Parts Express and Madisound to see if there is something that might work.  Finding a drop-in that fits physically, matches sensitivity and doesn't require crossover changes is likely impossible. 

On 4/2/2019 at 10:37 AM, ronb said:

I know this isn't a question about Klipsch but there much more activity here than on other forums. My question is, are there any good replacements for

the 035Ti in the JBL L100T? I still have the ones that came out and have bought those $69.00 knockoffs ( which sound pretty good) I don't really want to buy

another pair of 035ti that is decades old and will or needs repair. Wondering if there is anything out there today that would fit the bill, don't care if it is textile dome or what not.

In fact I would prefer not going back with a Titanium tweeter...;Many thanks

I own a dozen or more of 035Ti/a in various JBL speakers. What questions do you have?

Are you referring to this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-035TIA-Tweeter-Speaker-Replacement-Parts-L7-35198/192823964420?hash=item2ce5343304:g:5P4AAOSwO7pcY5au:sc:USPSPriority!53932!US!-1

that you replace with this

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/replacement-speaker-jbl-tweeter-t-035tia.html

And now you would like to buy brand new, or newer speakers that are non titanium? If so, then the usual response is another question. What is your budget?

2 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

I own a dozen or more of 035Ti/a in various JBL speakers. What questions do you have?

Are you referring to this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-035TIA-Tweeter-Speaker-Replacement-Parts-L7-35198/192823964420?hash=item2ce5343304:g:5P4AAOSwO7pcY5au:sc:USPSPriority!53932!US!-1

that you replace with this

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/replacement-speaker-jbl-tweeter-t-035tia.html

And now you would like to buy brand new, or newer speakers that are non titanium? If so, then the usual response is another question. What is your budget?

I like the L100T's was just wondering about the getting a different tweeter, I started to buy the 590's but without not being able to hear them first I decided against that.

What you are looking for is the L100T3 with the modified crossover and 035tia tweeter. The crossover mod on the L100T3 removed the glare, edge, and bite while retaining a vary balanced and smooth even response from 30Hz-27KHz. 

You will not be able to swap tweeters to non titanium jbl without redesigning the tweeter portion of the crossover.  For that you would do your own work, and get information from Lansing Heritage.

Wait....wait....my crystal ball is getting clearer................ I see..............new speakers in your future.

Where are you located Ron? What system components are you using? What sort of room?

12 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

What you are looking for is the L100T3 with the modified crossover and 035tia tweeter. The crossover mod on the L100T3 removed the glare, edge, and bite while retaining a vary balanced and smooth even response from 30Hz-27KHz. 

You will not be able to swap tweeters to non titanium jbl without redesigning the tweeter portion of the crossover.  For that you would do your own work, and get information from Lansing Heritage.

Wait....wait....my crystal ball is getting clearer................ I see..............new speakers in your future.

Where are you located Ron? What system components are you using? What sort of room?

The crossovers have been done to T3..I would have the original 035Ti repaired but just isn't anyone around anymore that does that. My setup is the L100T's (front) JBL 230's surround, and N-Center Northridge Series Center (yeah not the greatest but was trying to match the L100T. Oh some Pioneer Atmos speakers I forget the model. The AV is a Pioneer VSX-1131 

Room is roughly 18x32x8

3 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

There is a piece of foam that helps keep the diaphragm from vibrating that deteriorates.  You can use other foam, need to cut to size.  I need to do this to some JBL speakers that I just bought.

Check the Lansing heritage forums.   

True, I think there is a seller on ebay that has the foam. Place in Dallas I called said they maybe repair the tweeters (depends on what's wrong) if not they have another tweeter that they can fit..Said they done many of these and the sound is better than the original without the titanium..I may go that path, or find something else. Maybe some older Klipsch but nothing I heard in Best Buy they didn't sound anything like a Klipsch to me..as I remember..Good Luck with the foam

36 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

The ebay seller is very high.  I think that a weak (non-stiff) foam will work as I have read on the forums.  I have saves a few facial sponges that my wife has.  I think this foam should work. 

Sounds like a winner, I don't know which tweeters you be working on but from what I read seems to be not a easy task..Good Luck..let me know how it turns out.

I have done the JBL diaphragm rebuilding myself. Need to do another 12 tweeters though. Not overly difficult, does requires patience, a steady hand, and don't make a mistake or you're SOL.

F&)$!ng JBL foam is all over the place in them and all of it needs to be addressed. Woofer surrounds, woofer magnet vent ports, and tweeter diaphrams. Plus the cabinets constuction, finishes, grills, and fabric are sh!t. Sound fantastic though. There are better out there. 

2 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

I have done the JBL diaphragm rebuilding myself. Need to do another 12 tweeters though. Not overly difficult, does requires patience, a steady hand, and don't make a mistake or you're SOL.

F&)$!ng JBL foam is all over the place in them and all of it needs to be addressed. Woofer surrounds, woofer magnet vent ports, and tweeter diaphrams. Plus the cabinets constuction, finishes, grills, and fabric are sh!t. Sound fantastic though. There are better out there. 

The foam thing is kind of disappointing as all of the foam seems to disintegrate, including the egg crate grills on the Century 100's.  My 250s had the woofers re foamed by the place in LA about 15 years ago and they are still in really good shape. 

15 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

My 250s had the woofers re foamed by the place in LA about 15 years ago and they are still in really good shape. 

Really?  I was not aware you owned them too. Are you willing to share a pic of your 250's. 😍 Mine are 250Ti.

The woofer vent port foam repair requires removing the dust cap and pushing the foam plug from the inside out. A fine mesh screen (like the type used in a faucet aerator) replaces the original foam plug so no worries of deterioration down the road on that part. The foam was there just to keep trash out of the driver.