Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Subwoofer hissing/humming/buzzing

Zoma

I ordered the new Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Wired Computer Speakers directly from Klipsch earlier this year (so it is the newer model).

The subwoofer started to give off a slight hissing sound as soon as I plugged the power in (speakers not yet connected).  It is not loud enough for me to hear it if I am sitting at my desk with the subwoofer at my feet.  If I get on the floor, I can hear it from about 1 to 2 feet away.

Is this normal operation?

Some notes:

- I have put in a troubleshooting ticket, but want to make sure before I send this back.

- It does the same thing with or without a surge protector, and I have tried multiple outlets.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I just bought mine from Costco last week and got the same problem. Low humming noise coming from subwoofer box. I can't tell whether it's from the sub or from the transformer/circuit inside the box. But it's definitely noticeable if you put your ear on the box or 1 to 2 ft. away from it. Also tried at different electrical outlet and isolated from other electrical/magnetic interference, with or without L/R speakers connected, with or without audio input source. All resulted in humming noise from the subwoofer box.

I am currently using a Logitech Z623 (2.1 system) but it doesn't have this problem. No humming at all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 7:47 PM, The Inspector said:

I just bought mine from Costco last week and got the same problem. Low humming noise coming from subwoofer box. I can't tell whether it's from the sub or from the transformer/circuit inside the box. But it's definitely noticeable if you put your ear on the box or 1 to 2 ft. away from it. Also tried at different electrical outlet and isolated from other electrical/magnetic interference, with or without L/R speakers connected, with or without audio input source. All resulted in humming noise from the subwoofer box.

I am currently using a Logitech Z623 (2.1 system) but it doesn't have this problem. No humming at all.

I just bought the ProMedia 2.1 from Costco too and I'm having the same humming issue. I'm getting a fairly noticeable humming sound from the subwoofer.  I have an older ProMedia ( 6+ years old) I am trying to replace because the right speaker is starting to have some rattle/cracking.  The older unit has no humming from the subwoofer board on the back ( I also noticed the newer version of the ProMedia subwoofer is way heavier, so I'm assuming they changed the woofer design). Just curious "The Inspector," how does the ProMedia sound compared to the Logitech THX Z623?

Is the Humming noise normal? I don't think it is... Can anyone at Klipsch confirm this is normal behavior?

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. I hear a constant hissing as soon as the speakers are powered on.  I believe it may be coming from the 9-pin pre-amp input but it is constant. The only thing that stops it is turning it off. I also tried different outlets and even one from another room with an extension cord. I upgraded from a very old Boston Acoustics 2.1 computer speakers an never had this problem. Is there a resolution or a known fix?

• 1 month later...

I too am having this issue. I bought a new unit today from costco and just started to notice the idle hum. I thought it may have been coming from the source, but even with the 3.5mm unplugged it still hums. It also appears to be unaffected by the volume knob and only goes away when the sub knob is turned all the way down, but doesn't get any worse when turned up. I have tried 2 different surge protector power strips and also directly into the wall with no apparent difference. 

So far I am loving these little things, but I hope this problem can be fixed. 

Edited by Cjkeenan

• 1 month later...

A few months late but thought I would offer some input. I just recently disassembled my PC and noticed this issue after reassembly.

For troubleshooting purposes, I had nearly everything unplugged. Come to find out my system seemed to be missing some grounding.

As soon as I plugged in a properly grounded USB hub, the buzzing went away.

• 1 month later...

Got the same set of speakers from Costco for Christmas (Odd how there is no power button). Was fine for a bit, but a pretty loud hum started up. The hum was unaffected by the volume knob. I unplugged the audio jack, and the buzz still persisted. Tried using different outlets, same issue. Could this be an amplifier issue? Lot of people are having this issue, so could it be a bad defect?

Got the same speakers from Costco and have the exact same problem. I love these speakers, but the hum makes me crazy. Sounds like a 60hz hum, but might be lower.  Mine shouldn't have a grounding problem as it is plugged into a APC UPS which is well grounded. Tried different outlets and no joy. Anyone got a solution?

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought the Pro Media 2.1 from Costco as well. They were on sale and sounded pretty good in the store. It's disappointing how my little Logitech performs this. 

I'm debating if I should return it. 

Another disappointed Costco purchaser here. The unit sounds great when running music through it. When I shut down the laptop the buzz is very loud though. I have to disconnect the speakers from the laptop. The lack of a power button is a much bigger issue than I thought it would be too. Sorry I bought them, unless there's a fix someone knows about?

• 3 weeks later...

I just got done spending hours troubleshooting this because the buzzing got worse. I am using these speakers on one side of the room, with a 25 foot rca cable going across. 

I found the buzzing was severe if it wasn't connected at the other end, and the projector it was plugged into was off.

So oddly my buzzing dimmed so long as I left everything on. I have it now plugged into a powered audio splitter and it's mostly gone. This little guy stays on all the time.

Now the buzzing is still there lightly, if my lights are on. Doesn't matter if the speakers are plugged into the same circuit or not. 

I did more work and found that specifically it was a set of outdoor string lights being on that caused the buzzing. Because of where I ran the audio cable the wire along the wall it was about a foot from them. I changed them going along the ceiling in the middle of the room so it's 6' minimum from these outdoor string lights and now the buzz is almost unbearable. I can get rid of it completely by turning off my outdoor string lights. Maybe they are radio active? Should I buy different ones? 

The issue is so small now that it doesn't matter. But I may replace these string lights and see what happens.

• 2 months later...

Bought it a month ago from Costco. I also had a terrible hiss/sounds from speakers. For any break between music, terrible sound appears from speakers. No power off button which is crazy with this loud noice. I tried everything others mentioned in costco review comments, for e.g. lowering volume helped, but then I can only play in very low volume !. Finally resolved, after using an AUX cable from my laptop or monitor to the audio In port on the speaker with volume controls. I think the 3.5 mm cable attached to speaker is defective. Hope others can try this one. So far, great music quality from this set. I even packed this to return, now really enjoying this set.

• 3 months later...

My left speaker had a low level hiss and the subwoofer has the low hum mentioned.  The jack that came with speakers has lots of pops and hissing sound when I plug into my laptop.  Using an aux cable as suggested  seems to have resolved the left speaker hiss but not the subwoofer issue. Turning off subwoofer volume reduces but does not totally elminate the issue.  

• 1 month later...

ya this noise you're hearing isnt normal and should probably rma it. i just recently (today!) had this issue but this was the result of my gf vacuuming near the subwoofer. this is probably close to 8 or 9 years old promedia 2.1s  but i think maybe the static ended up frying one of the resistors. this ended up killing any volume control for me, no subwoofer control or power it seemed, the speakers were still putting out sound but an annoying hissing or vibration noise from the sub when turning it on. so i  popped open the sub, checked all the boards, and was easy to see the resistor blackened. luckily i had a scrapped pcb with these exact resistors and just soldered it in. working great so far (fingers crossed). i'd recommend just sending it back to klipsch if it's under warranty though. if it's already expired then check this page http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/2-1/2-1_bash_amp.htm . it's incredibly helpful and comprehensive.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought this a couple of weeks ago from Walmart on a deal. I think the issue was there all along, but I did not notice it for the first few days. Then when I noticed it, I could not unnotice it again. I tried connecting it to different outlet, different home, well-grounded extension cord, nothing changed/reduced the static noise. Whenever the speaker is powered, whether it is on aux mode or bluetooth, the noise is there. I filed for an exchange, the new one that I received also has the same issue. This speaker has been in the market for two decades now, I wonder why there is no concrete fix for this yet. Gonna return both soon.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys ,

A few years back I had the wired version of the promedia 2.1  speakers,

I had no problems with those .

A couple of months back I decided to buy the bt version and they  are super noisy , they pick up some static noise , I could hear it in the satellites and in the subwoofer. 

Any real fix for this?

Thanks