Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Subwoofer hissing/humming/buzzing

Zoma

Seems the 2.1s are sensitive to grounding. I've had - no kidding - 4 pair of 2.1s, and they all did it. But, it can be minimized by making sure your plugs/strips are well grounded. Moving the power plug from one strip to another (better) one reduced hissing by at least 2X, making it nearly inaudible in a quiet room. Also, turning the main volume down and using the devices volume will help a lot, but you might not get the sound to be loud enough. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I have joined the group of folks that have the hum, and basically I can't use my subwoofer. I work from home, so I have music on all the time, but lower volume to focus and that is how I heard the hum. These speakers were unused for about 20 months, and just got pulled out of an environmentally controlled (Air conditioned) storage unit, so I know they are in like new condition, so I am at a loss of where the hum is coming from. I have it plugged into a CyberPower UPS, and the UPS shows the home wiring has a proper ground, and I get the hum even when the 1/8" analog stereo jack is not plugged into my docking station.

Has anyone found a fix? I lost all my purchase paperwork so I may be SOL I fear.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/14/2022 at 11:50 AM, dc_IV said:

Sadly I have joined the group of folks that have the hum, and basically I can't use my subwoofer. I work from home, so I have music on all the time, but lower volume to focus and that is how I heard the hum. These speakers were unused for about 20 months, and just got pulled out of an environmentally controlled (Air conditioned) storage unit, so I know they are in like new condition, so I am at a loss of where the hum is coming from. I have it plugged into a CyberPower UPS, and the UPS shows the home wiring has a proper ground, and I get the hum even when the 1/8" analog stereo jack is not plugged into my docking station.

Has anyone found a fix? I lost all my purchase paperwork so I may be SOL I fear.

So I have managed to find a "workaround" for my buzzing. I can position the wire from the Right Speaker Control Module that connects to the subwoofer in a way that the buzzing stops. If I accidently move something on my desk, and knock the cable out of position, then the buzzing is returned, but I can quickly find the cable's position to stop it from buzzing/humming. When the humming is not present, these speakers are honestly a dream and deliver a punch of bass and sound!

• 2 months later...
On 4/15/2022 at 9:09 AM, David1955 said:

Solution: I had the same hissing static noise when the volume was turned all the way down.  I moved the subwoofer 12" away from the 

multiplugin surge suppressor and the noise dissapeared.  

I moved my subwoofer away from my power strip and the noise went away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 3:45 PM, gabitu said:

Hello guys ,

A few years back I had the wired version of the promedia 2.1  speakers,

I had no problems with those .

A couple of months back I decided to buy the bt version and they  are super noisy , they pick up some static noise , I could hear it in the satellites and in the subwoofer. 

Any real fix for this?

Thanks 

Just bought it in France, got it two days ago, and yes, they are noisy. When they enter sleep mode, the sound goes away. As soon as they exit sleep mode, the hum comes back, in the subwoofer AND the satellites. Must be some kind of interference from the mains. It can not be a ground loop as the power wire is... 2 wires! No ground wire like a PC cord for example.

I haven't tried putting them in another room to see if it makes a difference yet.

On 1/5/2023 at 3:36 PM, billybob said:

Sweet...

I'm definitely gonna try that (move it away, quoted the wrong post...), plus, I purchased some ferrite beads that you can wrap around the cables in different sizes, and I'm going to put some around evey cable to see if it helps. (You can find good one on a famous online shop, and it's very cheap.)

Other than that, the sound is absolutely fantastic on this 2.1 kit. The bass is so much better than on my old Altec Lansing VS2121, on which the sub does not only restitute bass, but goes higher and reproduces some of the lower pitched instruments in a song!

Edited by StrikerRocket
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 1/20/2023 at 12:25 AM, StrikerRocket said:

I purchased some ferrite beads that you can wrap around the cables in different sizes, and I'm going to put some around evey cable to see if it helps. (You can find good one on a famous online shop, and it's very cheap.)

Did this work?

• 2 weeks later...