Thoughts on my Designer La Scalas and KLF 20s/30s

erik2A3

If you're gonna go with KLF's, at the very minimum you're gonna need new crossovers.

KLF's that are stock need help. Refer to the KLF-30 'Ultimate Upgrades' thread. Upgrading their components and reinforcing the cabinets is what makes them a phenomenal sounding/performing speaker.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, teaman said:

Just throwing in my two cents, I find that the KLF 20 and 30 enjoy big power, much along the lines of the RF-7's. The more power you put in them, the better results you get out. That is not the way most Klipsch work but to me they are the exception. I put 500 and 600 watt monoblocks on each of my KLF-30 and they really come to life. Tight bass, great mids and highs, yet not out of balance. My buddy is running 1000 watt monoblocks into his KLF-30 now, up from 300 and told me they have never sounded better. He did in fact blow the backs off of his speakers doing so, but has since braced and reglued the backs and they are back in business. I've never seen anyone drive amps and speakers as hard as he does, so this is not the norm. They do come to life though with anything 250 wpc and up. Enjoy!

I agree that in most cases a good big amp will sound better than a good small amp but smaller amps can get the job done, problem is there are not a lot of them and they tend to be expensive. Vertical bi amping especially with dual mono stereo blocks (each channel has its own supply) are the least expensive way to power a multi way speaker system and get the result you would expect from a large mono block. I would rather use a 100 watt per channel stereo block per speaker than a similar quality two hundred watt mono block per speaker. That's simply my take on it as they say YMMV. I will leave this thread now.

I don't even feel slightly defensive, and apologize if what I wrote came across that way.  I should probably NOT have put the word NOT in all caps.  That's maybe what did that.  I was just trying to make the point I'm not trying to make a Khorn out of a KLF 30.  

So really, all is totally good, and I thank you for how much time you invested in trying to save me from myself! :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moray james said:

smaller amps can get the job done, problem is there are not a lot of them and they tend to be expensive. 

True enough, but it definitely helps when you build your own.

1000 Watt monblocks?!  Just not enough to get those woofers moving..

erik2A3,

I appreciate and accept your apology. Thank you. I was looking forward to owning your cabinets then confused why you stopped replying after we were messaging about them. I sent you PM messages that I’d take them and that included my plans for buying drivers for them that you had messaged me a link to and some tube components I own that I’d be using with them and even a link to my Klipschorns I restored. Did you receive those messages, five in total? I just sent you another PM to test if it’s working properly. Please let me know if you receive it and did all my previous messages about your cabinets come to you too. They should clearly state I wanted your cabinets and my plans for them as stated in this. This is related to the subject at hand, because I’m going to buy some local La Scala speakers as soon as I can and you’re selling some, but my previous experience with you was perplexing, so I’m hesitant wondering what happened before.

Well, ok.  I suspect it's a good thing there was no money involved.  As I said and feel compelled to say again, I really don't why that worked out as it did.  Our life was very complicated at that time.  My mom had passed away; I had a second very major back surgery, and was on medical leave during the same time we were both frantically packing up and trying to sell our house in order to move closer to my dad after my mom passed away.  And again, I will publicly apologize to you for it.  My reputation with respect to buying and selling, or in many cases giving away valuable equipment that I could have sold, is good.  I have also undertaken complicated and very time consuming amplifier repairs, for people I don't even know, free of charge because they couldn't find anyone willing to do the work, which I did free of charge.  Or built amplifier kits people sent to me also at no cost.  And so I'm sorry once again if I disappointed you as much as I apparently did.  There is nothing I can do about it now.  Madisound in Wisconsin sells a flat pack rear loaded horn kit that is virtually identical to the one we are talking about.  I have built them before, and they go together very well as long as you have a good number of clamps.  In terms of cost for the quality of both design and materials, the cost for a stereo pair is very fair.

Lastly, if you are looking for a pair of La Scalas and have even the slightest reservation based on that now quite distant pair of free enclosures (for which I had paid $300), I would strongly suggest you with-hold interest in mine.  Would it be ok with you if we let this go now? I feel sufficiently bad.

8 hours ago, erik2A3 said:

I was just trying to make the point I'm not trying to make a Khorn out of a KLF 30

Yes I understood that nor was I attempting to suggest that you were or that you should try to turn your KLF30 into a pair of Khorns. I only wanted to point out to readers of the thread that the KLF30 was a serious design by Klipsch intended to attain a high level of performance and that's all I was attempting to convey. The paths to a destination are as varied and as fascinating as the travelers themselves. I hope that you enjoy your project.

Whew.  Ok, thanks.  Selling our Klipschorns was something I regret a bit now.  I have first hand experience with the manner in which both they, as well as of course La Scalas, which have the same mid and HF frequency components, are able to effortlessly load a room.  And with the K-horns 21 feet apart in good corners, and with the k400s aimed directly at one's face so that it it's possible to look down their throats, they image like no other speaker I've heard.  It's really amazing.  I was also fascinated by Klipsch's work with a phantom center channel, and posted here many years ago how building the mini-box to split R and L signals into a third for another mono amp and a Heresy was for me truly a transformative experience.  I can't remember the exact year I did that, but it was probably around 2005 or 6.  There were a number of very interesting discussions about it which, for some ridiculous reason turned into the usual saloon brawl.  The Klipsch forum was really like the Old West in those days.  Solder-slinging outlaws! ;) 

Anyway.  I'll post some pictures in a bit.

• Like 2

WillyBob:

Thank you very much for your straightforward and refreshingly focused response.  Here's what's happening right now:  I'm working like crazy to get the final coats of gel stain and spar varnish on our front door so I can put the deadbolt back in.  And my wife is kindly and gently eager for me to get it done as well.

Promise to post images today.  I can say that the cabinet are very good to excellent condition; crossovers are also very very good, but have a fine layer of accumulated dust on the top that I haven't blown and cleaned off yet.  The grilles are perfect from the front, and noticed yesterday when I took them off that the original Klipsch fabric has over time come unglued in places, and the previous owner used black electrical tape to try to hold it down.  An easy fix.

They are not sequential serial numbers, but the cabinets are only about two number apart, and were probably waving to one another on the assembly line.  

Pictures will tell the tale, and I WILL do that today at some point, maybe after lunch.

You are gracious to consider giving me time to change my mind.   There are some who could care less about that, and would want them NOW!!!  So thank you.  

Having trouble getting others to load for some reason.  Give me a tube amp schematic and I'm ok -- not so much with this, obviously!  The back are in the same condition as the front!  No bashed corners, no gouges.  A very small piece of veneer issue at on the top very back edge.  See picture

Happy to fill, sand, and re-coat the entire top of cab if so desired.

IMG_2644.JPG

Edited by erik2A3
more information

...Let's see if this works.  Left top with x-over.  Haven't been using these but rather my own design.  These AA networks are fine, though I would say could do with a re-capping.  Type55V solder terminal, thought uses the K77M, not alnico. 

IMG_2646.JPG

Thank you both!  I'm glad you got your Heresies! :) 

If I was ever in the position to have to choose one, and only one pair of speakers to live with on this side of the soil, I would quickly ask for a pair of Klipsch Heresies Is, II, or IIIs -- PLEASE!

Ever since I first heard them in college but couldn't afford them, I've loved them.  I WILL have another pair, and this time hold on to them for good (which is really what I should do with this great pair of La Scalas.....)  We all have our own seemingly good reasons for selling components, but sometimes it's just better to just not.

I'm glad you guys who have responded like the pictures!