WTB: Tube power amp for my new preamp and Klipsch Cornwalls

Chiliarches

Howdy, all!

Just picked up a nice tube preamp (with a remote, which I wanted), a Belles Research 20A, for a good price. Now I want to match it with a tube power amp if possible.

This will be driving Klipsch Cornwalls (Late V1s), so I don't need anything super powerful (?) But I am thinking at least 30WPC - more would be better, since I listen to large-scale-music (orchestral) at high volumes. Also, it would have to be an amp with a low noise floor, since the speakers are so sensitive - hum drives me crazy.

I have NO bias around age, design, tubes, anything - I want something "holographic" and "tubey" with "balls" that will mate well with my speakers and the new preamp. DIY, vintage, chi-fi,console pulls, all are fair game as long as they are not a "project" for me.

Budget is around $600-700, could stretch it for something really excellent. Please message me if you have an amp to sell!

Thank you!

I've had a couple pairs of Cornwalls that I powered with a 6 watt +/- SEP amp.  My experience was any volume more than half way up was incredibly loud.  You may want to consider lower wattage as many tube amps have surprisingly high serviceable power.  In any event good luck with your new amp, I hope you enjoy it.  Other forum members much smarter than I will likely chime in with well reasoned advice.  

Cheers,  -Joe

You might want to consider the Mcintosh MC250 that was recently posted in the Garage Sale.  Even though it is solid state, it was originally voiced to be very tube like, and that specific unit has been restored, which is a definite bonus.  And it definitely has the cajones......Matched with a tube preamp, it will very likely be just what you are looking for.

BUMP...all PMs replied to.

On 4/5/2019 at 1:02 PM, jimjimbo said:

You might want to consider the Mcintosh MC250 that was recently posted in the Garage Sale.  Even though it is solid state, it was originally voiced to be very tube like, and that specific unit has been restored, which is a definite bonus.  And it definitely has the cajones......Matched with a tube preamp, it will very likely be just what you are looking for.

Thanks for the advice, I may have a look at those units, I hadn't really considered solid state...do old Mcintosh SS amps have the "holographic" quality I associate with tubes?

4 minutes ago, Chiliarches said:

BUMP...all PMs replied to.

Thanks for the advice, I may have a look at those units, I hadn't really considered solid state...do old Mcintosh SS amps have the "holographic" quality I associate with tubes?

The MC250 does.