Advice on floorstanders upgrade

R.elder

Hello I’ve enjoyed bargain Klipsch speakers for a long time. I’ve finally come into a few extra dollars that I can invest in better fronts. I have 5-6k$ to spend. Im debating either buying 4 RP8000f, 2 pairs of RP 600m (for Atmos) and a RP 504c or the RF-7 iii and the RC-64 iii

i really want to get the RF-7 iii and the RC-64 iii but I’m having a hard time finding measurements. The RP 8000f review at Audioholics shows they have great  on and off axis response but the only chart I’ve found on the RF-7 iii was measured at one meter and that poor methodology makes it unreliable. Does anyone know of measurements on the RF-7 iii or RC-64 iii?

any advice is appreciated. My current gear is as follows:

Current gear:
Yamaha 3080 receiver
Sony x800 uhd and sacd player
Panamax 5300 power conditioner
Apple TV latest 4K version
Samsung 65in NU8000f
Epson 5030ub projector
Pro-ject RPM 5 with BP2 cart turntable
PlayStation 4
Computer

Speakers: 5.2.4 layout 
Fronts and surrounds: Klipsch R-28f
Center: Elac uni-fi UC5
Front presence: old cerwin Vegas 12in woofer
Rear presence: old KLH floorstanders with dual 10in woofers
Subwoofers: SVS PB-13 ultra + Martin Logan dynamo 700. I also have a old MTX 12 in powered sub that I don’t usually use. It’s muddled compared to my other subs.

Room is 25x23 with 18 foot cathedral ceilings walls go up to 14 feet and it opens to the kitchen and living room. Rediculous amount of air to move.

• 2 weeks later...

With a "ridiculous" amount of air to move I would suggest large speakers.  Start with the best center speaker you can afford, then build your system from the inside out. 

In terms of budget priorities for speakers:

Center - RC-64 III

Left/Right - RF-7 III

Subs   - Keep the SVS PB-13's

Atmos - I don't know Atmos modules well enough to suggest a model

Surrounds - (this is where the RP-600M might go)

I own the RC-64 III and the RP-600M

• Like 2

I paid for the order yesterday. I should be receiving the following speakers:

RF-7 iii x2

RC-64 iii

RP-8000F x2

RP600M x2

Can you explain why I shouldn’t use the 600M as a Atmos speaker? It should have enough dispersion with its distance but maybe I’m wrong. 

RF7-L        RC64-C.       RF7-R

RP8000-SL.           RP8000-SR

R28F                                R28F

The above is my plan currently for the 7 channel part of my soon to be 7.2.4 system. My plan was to use the 600M as front Atmos channels. They’ll be 14 or so feet away. I’m not completely against using them as rear surrounds though if that makes more sense. 

Edited by R.elder
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, HenrikTJ said:

Sorry, couldn't find anyone that have measured the rf7III... Although i think its safe to say that the the rf7III is better than the rp8000f. I gotta say, I hope you're not thinking of mounting the 600Ms on the ceiling....

Im going to do some AB comparison is pure direct mode once I get them broke in. It’ll be subjective and subject to room dynamics but I’ll probably share my findings. 

On 4/17/2019 at 2:07 PM, R.elder said:

I paid for the order yesterday. I should be receiving the following speakers:

RF-7 iii x2

RC-64 iii

RP-8000F x2

RP600M x2

Can you explain why I shouldn’t use the 600M as a Atmos speaker? It should have enough dispersion with its distance but maybe I’m wrong. 

RF7-L        RC64-C.       RF7-R

RP8000-SL.           RP8000-SR

R28F                                R28F

The above is my plan currently for the 7 channel part of my soon to be 7.2.4 system. My plan was to use the 600M as front Atmos channels. They’ll be 14 or so feet away. I’m not completely against using them as rear surrounds though if that makes more sense. 

I feel like this isnt clear in this thread so i just have to clarify... Atmos speakers are either in-ceiling or on top of other speakers firing up to the ceiling and bouncing of it down to your ears from above. Because of the type of ceiling you have, the atmos-bouncing-speakers isnt an option sadly. 

You say you want to use rp600m as atmos speakers. That would mean mounting them on the ceiling angled down. Its not impossible, but just not recommended. The rp600m dont have a dedicated mounting-slot on the back like you see on the rp500m. Even with that mounting-slot, it wouldn't be enough to mount on ceiling. 

I'd rather construct enclosures on the sides of the cathedral ceiling and mount in-ceiling speakers onto those enclosures

Edited by HenrikTJ
  • Like 1

If I put them in the corner of the wall and ceiling it’s still 14ft up. This room is center of the house with rooms on both sides. So my walls go up 14 then there’s a 4ft incline to the peak of 18ft. So if I mounted the speaker it would be 14ft up and 14 foot or so to the wall. So distance is actually probably 20+feet away. I didn’t think the speaker would be so directional that I’d need to aim it at the listening position that would complicate things. If it’s off axis response is horrible I may just repurpose it. The Yamaha seemed to have two layouts one with Atmos speakers down firing and one more as height.