FS: Mcintosh MC250 in central AR - With pictures

avguytx

Going to be doing some different things so a couple of amps are for sale. 

First up is my completely updated MC250 which was gone through by one of the best Mcintosh techs you'll find in the south.  Chris worked for Custom Audio in Little Rock back in the 70's until they closed up shop and was their Mac technician during that duration.  In recent years, he does all of the Mac repair, and other vintage gear repair, for Durham Electronics which is located close to where Custom Audio one was. 

All of the major capacitors were replaced and I had bought new larger main filter caps to replace the stock pair of 9300uf caps but Chris said they tested like they should.  The smaller surface can caps were also replaced with new Hayseed capacitors to the same specs as both of the originals were tested as shorted out internally.  Any suspect resistors were replaced, which were quite a few, and the output transistors all checked out fine.  From what I understand, these Macs used a fixed bias and he changed it where it could be adjusted.  The original gain controls were shot and were giving readings all over the place so they were changed out with new Bourns 250k linear pots that were matched as close as possible.  The original RCA connectors were also bad internally and were replaced with new.  Based on the serial number, this MC250 was built the last week of December of 1967 and, ironically, was completely rebuilt the last week of 2017; 50 years later.  I've played this amp on my Belle clones, Epic CF-3's, Norman Lab Model 9's and Cerwin Vega VS-150's and the amp does an outstanding job on them all.  

I will get more pictures of the MC250 soon and this is about all I could find at the moment.  The amp is in great physical shape for 50 years old and there is very little pitting on the chassis and no rust that I can recall.

MA230 has been sold.

Price is $900 and I can ship this amp if need be.  I have shipped many heavy and pricey items through the years including large speakers and electronics including a Pioneer SX-1980 (78 pound receiver unboxed).  I am located in Searcy, AR which is about 45 minutes northeast of Little Rock.  

Mac250.jpg

On 4/5/2019 at 11:40 AM, avguytx said:

Going to be doing some different things so a couple of amps are for sale. 

First up is my completely updated MC250 which was gone through by one of the best Mcintosh techs you'll find in the south.  Chris worked for Custom Audio in Little Rock back in the 70's until they closed up shop and was their Mac technician during that duration.  In recent years, he does all of the Mac repair, and other vintage gear repair, for Durham Electronics which is located close to where Custom Audio one was.  

I can vouch for Chris he is one of the best techs out there. One of the best troubleshooters I've met. He has helped me on many projects over the years. Top notch....

28 minutes ago, seti said:

I can vouch for Chris he is one of the best techs out there. One of the best troubleshooters I've meet. He has helped me on many projects over the years. Top notch....

Definitely so.  He went above and beyond in checking it out and I didn't mind at all that extra week it stayed there just so he could run it  through its paces".   That and he said he really enjoyed working on it and listening to it.

• 2 weeks later...