Muffled Center Channel revisted

Bruinsrme

Hi to all,

Last week I posted my concerns regarding the RC-3 sounding muffled.

I have adjusted the angle which did improve the sound. As we were watching various movies, DTS, THX, Dolby, it was apparent the center channel was squashing the voices.

I have also adjusted the Bass and treble in every direction. I set all the receiver settings to default and started from scratch.

Now as my last resort I have removed the hi/low clips from the center channel.

I connected the cable to the low and both woofers are working well. The horn on the other hand sounds like its in a coffee can and not a speaker.

How much output should I expect to hear from the center horn and is that whatis causing the muffled performance?

What else can I do to improve the performance?

Current config;

Onkyo DS-797

RC-3

monster 1.2 cable; Green lead to red; black lead to black

I thank you for reading my post and for your assistance.

Scott Carroll

scottcarroll@scott.org

"Now as my last resort I have removed the hi/low clips from the center channel.

I connected the cable to the low and both woofers are working well. The horn on the other hand

sounds like its in a coffee can and not a speaker."

bru, you mean you just threaded the same speaker wires thru both high & low posts? iow, the high posts are connected right?

or did you biwire it? may want to try that at least since the speaker is biwirable. when/if you biwire you don't want to have the posts directly connected, but you do want both the high & low posts connected to the receiver front speaker posts.

& as v said, try that trouble-shooting to hear if the rc is defective.

also, is it possible you're comparing it to another klipsch or in a better room & expecting too much from your rc in your place?

If I understand correctly, your center channel is running thru the L speaker, and it still sounds muffled - this means RC-3 is not bad, but the signal form the receiver is. Does your receiver have EQ adjustments per channel? I would try playing with EQ of the center channel and see if that helps.

sounds to me like the onk is ok but your perception is the rc sound is not optimal. same w/ all material? have you tried true biwiring the rc? have you properly calibrated the speaks & sub using a sound meter? tweaks like that or maybe the onk has some other control that effects the center channel besides level & eq-ing it (should sound good flat/or with no eq).

don't know what to tell you. the rc-7 should be better 1.gif , but then you'll need rf-7. 2.gif

btw, what are your mains?

I picked up the RC7 and have noticed a remarkable performance difference. I have visited several home theater providers and I have come to these conclusions;

1. after 14 years on submarines I am tone deaf (strong possibility)

2. my speaker system is fine, its the rooms acoustics (possibility)

3. my receiver has issues and not the speakers (doubt)

The RC7 is a great speaker I only wish I looked at the sizemore carefully. I have seen smaller floor standing speakers.

Thanks for your help,

Scott