WANTED: three-speed turntable

Hornographic

I'm not a vinyl newbie. (Don't get me started on how little I miss vinyl. 🙂)

But I am a shellac kind o' guy. I pulled out a set of 78 discs -- 70 or 80 of 'em -- that I'd collected 20-25 years ago and I'd like to digitize them. I used to play them on my antique gramophone, before I gave that away.

My old Yamaha YP-D6 is a two-speed turntable (33.3 & 45) with a Shure V15 Type 3 cartridge. I can get a 78 stylus for the cartridge. And I know that I can playback at a lower speed and then use Audigy's "Change speed" feature to step up to 78 RPM. But I'd prefer to avoid that extra step in the sound-editing process.

I'm not looking for anything fancy -- just a three-speed table (33/45/78) that I can mount my Shure cartridge on. Or one of those that already has with a decent cartridge with a 78 stylus. Direct drive preferred -- but hardly a necessity.

Anyone have something like this gathering dust somewhere?

I bought this table a couple years back. Inexpensive and an obvious knock off of the famous Technics 1200 series. Unlike the Technics, it will play 78 rpm and is very easy to swap out cartridges for the 78 only stylus you'll need. Been very pleased with it for what I bought it for. It is a manual table though.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-USB/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_4?crid=J27H68XBYXYV&keywords=audiotechnica+record+player&qid=1554589382&s=gateway&sprefix=Audiobtechnica%2Caps%2C250&sr=8-4

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion and your comments on your experience with that Audio Technica. Manual is no problem -- so's my Yamaha. And it's a direct drive platter. 👍

I've seen several reviews of that turntable and they've been pretty uniformly positive. Good for its price, I read..

I was hoping to find something cheap in somebody's closet... but that hasn't happened yet. So I may end up with that AT or something like it.

On 4/7/2019 at 5:41 AM, dirtmudd said:

i have these... Indian scout and princess

indian-3-speed-2.jpg

1951_Indian_Scout_9.jpg

indian-3-speed-0.jpg

Those bikes really look like similar Raleighs.  Maybe Indian bought them from Raleigh, added Indian stickers, and sold them as their house brand.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:45 AM, Hornographic said:

I'm not a vinyl newbie. (Don't get me started on how little I miss vinyl. 🙂)

But I am a shellac kind o' guy. I pulled out a set of 78 discs -- 70 or 80 of 'em -- that I'd collected 20-25 years ago and I'd like to digitize them. I used to play them on my antique gramophone, before I gave that away.

My old Yamaha YP-D6 is a two-speed turntable (33.3 & 45) with a Shure V15 Type 3 cartridge. I can get a 78 stylus for the cartridge. And I know that I can playback at a lower speed and then use Audigy's "Change speed" feature to step up to 78 RPM. But I'd prefer to avoid that extra step in the sound-editing process.

I'm not looking for anything fancy -- just a three-speed table (33/45/78) that I can mount my Shure cartridge on. Or one of those that already has with a decent cartridge with a 78 stylus. Direct drive preferred -- but hardly a necessity.

Anyone have something like this gathering dust somewhere?

I have a 3 speed Stanton that you can borrow (we're both in StL).

It has digital output, so you can digitize your collection . You can mount your cartridge if you prefer as I never attempted 78 rpm to know how it sounds.

It's a T.92 if you want to look up the specs. It ain't nothing fancy but works well.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I have a 3 speed Stanton that you can borrow (we're both in StL).

It has digital output, so you can digitize your collection . You can mount your cartridge if you prefer as I never attempted 78 rpm to know how it sounds.

It's a T.92 if you want to look up the specs. It ain't nothing fancy but works well.

Hey @mookiestl, that looks like just what the doctor ordered. Not looking for fancy. All I need is 78 RPM and putting my cartridge in the headshell. (Or swapping headshells maybe.)

Is a  month's loan too long?

I can meet you at your place in V.P. or wherever you like. I'm close to 44 & 109 -- and I'm free any day of the week.

Thanks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hornographic said:

Hey @mookiestl, that looks like just what the doctor ordered. Not looking for fancy. All I need is 78 RPM and putting my cartridge in the headshell. (Or swapping headshells maybe.)

Is a  month's loan too long?

I can meet you at your place in V.P. or wherever you like. I'm close to 44 & 109 -- and I'm free any day of the week.

Thanks!

Month works for me. I probably haven't had it hooked up in a year.

Send me a pm and we can set something up. You're 10 minutes away. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hatrack1971 said:

I'll see if I can even get the packing to ship before we get started but here are a couple pics. It's not perfect but for sure nice.

Yeah, that's a nice looking table, @hatrack1971. Your dust cover is clearer than my Yamaha's.

It looks like I've found a table locally, tho, so don't worry about the shipping. I appreciate the messages.