Jill sold her home because her Klipschorns didn’t fit

Youthman

35 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== maybe - ? Jealousy— 🤔

You know Haters will Hate is the only explanation.

My wife & I took a tape measure to ever home we looked to buy when we were moving to the Nashville area to be sure our Klipschorns would work. We passed on several before finding the right one.  My wife is into Klipsch as much as I am!  We don't know Jill but would love to meet her.

• Like 1

There's always a debate on what folks can afford and what they choose to spend their money on. I see plenty of BMWs and Mercedes parked in low-end apartment complexes, and it's easy to judge and say "well, why don't they spend that money on nicer living"? Because a fancier apartment or owning a home may not be for everyone. It may not be everyone's source of joy in life.

Personally, I wouldn't feel guilty about buying Khorns when I drive a 2000 Accord. The reason is simple - I get no joy from owning cars or driving cars. When you compare the price of a new pair of Khorns compared to a BMW or a Porsche it's quite the bargain - and no insurance, registration fees, or ridiculous maintenance costs. And they don't get dings and scratches when you park them out in public.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fmalloy said:

There's always a debate on what folks can afford and what they choose to spend their money on. I see plenty of BMWs and Mercedes parked in low-end apartment complexes, and it's easy to judge and say "well, why don't they spend that money on nicer living"? Because a fancier apartment or owning a home may not be for everyone. It may not be everyone's source of joy in life.

Personally, I wouldn't feel guilty about buying Khorns when I drive a 2000 Accord. The reason is simple - I get no joy from owning cars or driving cars. When you compare the price of a new pair of Khorns compared to a BMW or a Porsche it's quite the bargain - and no insurance, registration fees, or ridiculous maintenance costs. And they don't get dings and scratches when you park them out in public.

This is true in my case as well.  I drive a 2004 vehicle - cars don't give me joy *at all*.  Most people I know think I'm crazy, but you nailed it - it is what gives you joy.

I get a lot of joy out of my Klipsch speakers.

On 4/7/2019 at 1:47 AM, LeftEyeShooter said:

I just wonder how many Klipsch workers can actually afford Khorns... I bet Jill must be in upper-management at Klipsch.

Reminds me of the Audi plant in Ghent (Belgium), where the factory workers' parking lot mostly is filled with Peugot and Citroen cars... while the management owns the big, fat Audis.

Face it: Anniversary Edition Khorns are for lawyers, dentist, doctors and Klipsch managment.

(I may get banned for this, I guess, on a Sunday!)

First off, let me tell you that I loved working with the Belgian Para-Commando bunch while I was a young infantry paratrooper in Europe!!  I especially loved the 3rd Para bunch, and still have many friends I made when we worked together!!  Now, let's get down to business:

You are SO WRONG!!WRONG!!! and WRONG!!!....about SO MANY OBVIOUS ASSUMPTIONS you have used to write this post!!   Sooo…PLEASE  LET ME ENLIGHTEN YOU!!

I worked at the Hope, Arkansas, USA Klipsch manufacturing facility for over SEVEN years!  As soon as I was hired, I got the spiel about the Klipsch Employee Discount on speaker purchases.

Here are the particulars of the employee discount:

1.      Eligibility begins after working for the company for SIX months.

2.      You may purchase one pair of speakers per 12-month period beginning upon initial eligibility.

3.      You are REQUIRED to keep the speakers for one full year beginning with date of delivery.  After that year ends you may do whatever you want to do with them.

4.      Speakers purchased under the discount are purchased at 40% of current MSRP at time of order.

Here is what employees GENERALLY did (to make it very easy to AFFORD K-horns):

1.      At the beginning of their eligibility for the employee discount, they bought a pair of Heresy speakers, and kept them for one year…then EASILY sold them at the end of the first year…and they sold them for the MSRP at time of sale or for MORE!

2.      Then, they took the money from that sale and bought either a pair of Cornwall speakers OR the original birch LaScala speakers.  Kept those for one year, then EASILY sold them for MSRP at time of sale or for MORE!.

3.      Then they took the money from those speakers and bought a pair of K-horns!

Let me help this to “Sink-In”:

1.      An employee begins enjoying ownership of a new pair of Klipsch speakers after working at the company for only SIX months, and the out-of-pocket cost is less than half of what everybody else pays.

2.      The employee has been working for the company for 1.5 years and has already upgraded to a better performing pair of Klipsch speakers with ZERO out-of-pocket expense.

3.      The employee has been working at the company for 2.5 years and has upgraded again to a new pair of K-horns with ZERO additional out-of-pocket expense!

Now, let me elaborate upon how EASILY the employee is able to sell the speakers after just one year at the current FULL MSRP OR MORE at the time of the sale.

Just call this the “inter-employee" discount!

Say your first pair is Walnut-veneered Heresy speakers. 

1.      YOU GET TO PICK OUT THE VENEERED PANELS USED!!...OR…you can upgrade to a more expensive veneer at ONLY company cost for the difference…and you still get to pick out the panels used!...say from walnut to rosewood!!!!  Not only that, but you get SPECIAL treatment from fellow factory employees!  For example :you want them to have a clear gloss finish…so you get it ESPECIALLY nice because you are a fellow employee!  Say that you want a custom grille made using a more than normal expense grille cloth…FREE UPGRADE!!  Or there are some badges laying around that are no longer being used…and you like them better than what is CURRENTLY being used…YOU GET THEM!...the list goes on and on…..AND the special treatment does not end there…if what you desire requires MORE production time involved, the fellow employees will make it happen before work, after work or during break times!  You get to pick the builder, the sander, the finisher, etc.!!! What you end up with is an “EMPLOYEE SPECIAL” version of the speakers!

AND THAT IS HOW YOU EASILY GET FULL MSRP and possibly WAY MORE when you sell them!!

The first pair that I bought as an employee were just Decorator Heresy speakers, the lowest-priced speakers the company sold…just birch-veneered plywood, no grille cloth, bottom of the line!  I built them myself from panels I picked out.  The two best sanders were arguing over who got to sand them for me, and they were best friends…so I let each one sand one of them…problem solved!...the painter shot them with a coat of sealer, then after it was sanded, he shot them with a second coat and they were sanded again…then he came in two hours early the next morning and cleaned up his area better than normal to eliminate any possible overspray dust or dust brought into his area during worktime hours…and he shot them with clear gloss laquer, and at the right time he shot them with a thin coat of laquer thinner to help the laquer coat level- out….and he did this until they had SIX coats of clear gloss laquer on them, and we had coffee in the break room waiting for them to dry before the rest of the workers got to work.  The gentleman who tested all of the drivers set aside a pair of tweeters that IDENTICALLY EXCEEDED requirements, along with mid-range driver and woofer pairs which ALSO identically exceeded requirements….he did the same for the crossover networks!!!  The sanders had already sanded the back panels….and I took them along with three FLAIR brand pens of different colors and got everybody’s signature on each panel…then the painter did two coats of sealer with a sanding in-between and shot the back panels with six coats of clear gloss laquer!...and they were ready for final assembly where the set-aside guts were put into them.  They were sitting on a carpeted table ready for packing, when the company president came through…they caught his eye (of COURSE!!)  and he said he wanted them!  Gwin told him “HELL NO, these are Andy’s!!”  and he continued on without saying a word but laughing!  A few months after I got them home, I noticed that the voice coil dust covers of both woofers had developed a crack in the glue that held the covers on…so took them out to the plant, and another pair of brand new woofers that had IDENTICALLY tested out above specs were installed two days later. I had told Gwin (in final assembly) that I had adopted a stray cat with only three paws, who had an avid curiosity about the woofer excursion of my unprotected woofers…she had suggested installation of metal-grilled industrial motor-board assemblies…I liked the idea, so she threw them into the cabinets before installing the new woofers  These are just TOO SPECIAL to EVER be sold!  I call them my “flame twins” and they are OVER forty years old! …but whenever they get cranked-up they are “BURNING DOWN THE HOUSE”!!!!!

464898808_flametwinleftKA.thumb.jpg.00a0c49db6964fea109707558c5b89bf.jpg

764479079_flametwinrightKA.thumb.jpg.1007d81d5560612e82a68d1359eff4d5.jpg

After I was able to use the employee discount again, I bought a VERY NICE pair of "employee special" Black-walnut veneered Heresy speakers and stored them in their boxes for a year...when that year was UP,  I TRADED them to a dive shop owner/buddy for a gloss black aluminum 80 cu ft tank with boot and valve;  A top of the line regulator with octopus installed; a dive knife; a bouyancy compensator jacket; a dual console instrument unit with air pressure and depth gauges; a wrist compass; A Chronosport Seaquartz 30 dive watch; a rechargeable LARGE underwater dive light; A rubber weight belt, with weights; and a two-rubber spear gun...hell, the dive watch alone listed for 75 bucks more than I paid for the Heresys!!  And when his wife saw what they LOOKED LIKE sitting on the carpet on either side of the fireplace...and how they SOUNDED she "was in love with him all over again!"...HIS words, NOT MINE!!!! 

So PLEASE just don't worry about what Klipsch "regular" employees "CAN afford", OK????😉    

As for AUDI...maybe they just need to do like BMW does at its Spartanburg, SC, USA plant:  Provide a leasing plan at way below normal rates with auto insurance included...for the employees, and like BMW they can find out if their are issues with what they produce and nip it in the bud before they are REQUIRED to have an EXPENSIVE recall with the press involved!!!  If you ever see the employee parking lot there every car in it is a BMW except for a few pick-up trucks!😀

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

You are in a forum loaded with wonderful people, except for me. There is a lot of knowledge that is freely shares and help in many ways. If you stick around, this will all be gone. 

I am probably much less wonderful than you....because I am half-blind geriatric paratrooper azzhole, and proud of it!🤪

• Haha 1

I also purchased a particular style of home specifically to accommodate Khorns.  

Let it it be known that when I wanted to create a Tubes section on the forum Jill was the person who overruled those who refused to do so.  Were it not for her intervention that extremely successful forum section would not exist!  

Maynard

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Marvel said:

My JBL 4311 studio monitors cost me $329 each in the early '70s. that would make them cost, due to inflation (the dollar is actually worth less) a bit over $4,000 a pair. I think I was making about $85 a week at the time.

Bruce

This means that at about $2,000 a pair for Heresy III's they are about half the price of those JBL's if they still existed! What a bargain.

What I find about the story that is more unusual than anyone looking for a room to suit their stereo, is that it is a woman doing so.  Audiophiles are a rather exclusive bunch.  And so few of them are women.  I wish more women were into sound, not only music, but the accurate reproductions of sound.  Many people, including women are into music.  Few care how good it can sound. 

22 minutes ago, kink56 said:

Many people, including women are into music.  Few care how good it can sound. 

That is about as true as it gets right there.  At least for few main women I know very well.  Wife included, of course, and my best friends' wife.

1 hour ago, kink56 said:

What I find about the story that is more unusual than anyone looking for a room to suit their stereo, is that it is a woman doing so.  Audiophiles are a rather exclusive bunch.  And so few of them are women.  I wish more women were into sound, not only music, but the accurate reproductions of sound.  Many people, including women are into music.  Few care how good it can sound. 

Vive la difference, say the French. But there are exceptional women for sure who don't fit the majority. When there was an Indy Pilgrimage back in 2007, about 80 of us showed up, including Roy Delgado from Hope, and all the top Klipsch Management at a local hotel reception room. There were 2 pairs of Jubilees playing music, one with K-402's Active, and one with K510's Passive, which were given away in a drawing that went to a guy from Bay City, Michigan.

I had just put JBL Tweeters on top of my Khorns for more crystalline highs and this young lady from across the table started asking me about the crossover frequency and slopes. Turns out SHE was the audiophile and her boyfriend was just there to be with her. It kind of blew my mind to hear this from her. I agree they are rare creatures indeed, but they do exist. Which is why we celebrate the Exceptional women of the world so much. Like chicks who do Karate (sparred with a few myself). Look at the success of Wonder Woman in movies, where the actress was a real Israeli Soldier. More power to them as we salute their exceptional qualities beyond their good looks!!

4 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

I also purchased a particular style of home specifically to accommodate Khorns.  

Let it it be known that when I wanted to create a Tubes section on the forum Jill was the person who overruled those who refused to do so.  Were it not for her intervention that extremely successful forum section would not exist!  

Maynard

Jill and not Amy?  I had no idea.

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

This means that at about $2,000 a pair for Heresy III's they are about half the price of those JBL's if they still existed! What a bargain.

They do exist, brand new, and with updated drivers and all that goes with it. $4k a pair!!! They actually got a good review, even for the price. Interesting article.

https://hometheaterreview.com/jbl-synthesis-l100-classic-reviewed/?page=2

2 minutes ago, Marvel said:

They do exist, brand new, and with updated drivers and all that goes with it. $4k a pair!!! They actually got a good review, even for the price. Interesting article.

https://hometheaterreview.com/jbl-synthesis-l100-classic-reviewed/?page=2

That was a contender for "Heresy" range of speaker back when. I'm glad to see they now use WAY better drivers!

15 minutes ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

If women are rare in audiophile world, then youngster are even rarer. There are exceptions, though. At analogplanet.com, there is this young kid, Malachi Lui, he's 13 now, and he's writing as if he's been around for half a century. Here's one of his reviews: https://www.analogplanet.com/content/son-house’s-“father-folk-blues”-provides-uniquely-intimate-listening-experience

We had on the forum, Justin Weber when he was still in early high school...he's still pretty active on the forum, but around 20 years older now!

My wife and I bought our house 13 years ago. We looked at multiple houses for several months and most didn't make the cut because of the space I needed for my music room. I have always had large high performance speakers, so a small listening room was out of the question. I didn't have klipschorns at the time, but I did have a large pair of Magnepans that dictated the size of the room. So when the time came to buy a pair of klipschorns, I was fortunate enough to have two good corners in a very nicely shaped rectangular room with good acoustics.

So yes, a house with an appropriate music room was number one on our list of priorities and my wife was absolutely fine with that. I totally get what Jill did and if we ever move, my priority will be the same. Music first.

Shakey

• Like 1