Jill sold her home because her Klipschorns didn’t fit

Youthman

59 minutes ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

If women are rare in audiophile world, then youngster are even rarer. There are exceptions, though. At analogplanet.com, there is this young kid, Malachi Lui, he's 13 now, and he's writing as if he's been around for half a century. Here's one of his reviews: https://www.analogplanet.com/content/son-house’s-“father-folk-blues”-provides-uniquely-intimate-listening-experience

We have a forum member from the Netherlands on here, who has a couple pair of Klipschorns in storage, a pair of which will go to their young son. They had La Scalas in their living room, but found some larger EV Classics and rebuilt them. They are larger than La Scalas, but he and his wife decided to get them to see/hear how they would work.

My older son likes fine audio, and has Heresy speakers. He would like some larger horns, but with five kids and a not too large a house, they will have to wait.

We need to teach our children so they understand the difference between earbud listening and high fidelity.

Bruce

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Jill and not Amy?  I had no idea.

I miss Amy!  When I was in Kuwait, 2004-2007,  I read a Forum PM from her...she was asking about my mailing address...and a day or so later...there was another PM from her telling me to watch my mail!  About 2 days before Christmas two boxes arrived in the mail...from Klipsch Corporate....one box was a new Promedia 2.1 system...and the other had a golf shirt, a hat, a bunch of other stuff......and to my surprise, at the very bottom of the box was a pair of Speaker logo emblems...in a tiny zip-lok baggie.... and not just ANY PAIR!  They were 60th Anniversary logos!  The note (on corporate letterhead) inside told me to use them on the next pair of pretty LaScalas that I build...and that is what I intend to do...with the obvious blessing of Klipsch corporate,  as far as I am concerned, anyway!😉

• Like 2

“Why are there so few women audiophiles?”

LOL! The answer to that question is staring back at male audiophiles in the mirror every morning. Just read any number of posts on this, or any other, audio forum. I think boorish might be an apt general description of far too many audiophiles and their posts. If a post like this one, which started out celebrating a female audiophile, can so quickly be driven into a ditch by men, (and this was fairly mild and innocuous), you have to ask the question why would any woman want to be an audiophile. The ladies who willingly put up with us, or even join us in this hobby, have a special kind of tolerance indeed. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

Why there are so few women audiophiles?

I believe it is an evolutionary thing. As mankind was evolving as a hunter gatherer species, auditory feedback was really important, especially for hunting of course. Mostly men, stronger built with more muscles developed to go for the kill, would go out at night for hunting. That explains why hearing is better at night, and why we enjoy listening to music more in the evening. Women, in group, would stay in the shelter taking care of the young ones. For them, music is social thing, it is meant to be entertaining and fun. It brings people together and creates a strong bond, which is also important for survival.
For the men out hunting, hearing is crucial for locating prey and staying alive. That's why stereophonics and 3d stage sound is so valued nowedays. Also, having good ears can make a difference between life and death. Hearing high frequencies and picking up really low frequencies can make all the difference when a mammoth or sabre tooth tiger is approaching in the dark, behind the bushes.

Just my 2 cents. Watch Discovery Channel too often.

Well to poke holes in your theory, most women have superior hearing to men. My wife can certainly hear subtle changes in the music when new equipment is introduced. And she loves music as much as I do. The difference is, she doesn't really care about the equipment. It's just the means to the end........

Shakey

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

Why there are so few women audiophiles?

I believe it is an evolutionary thing. As mankind was evolving as a hunter gatherer species, auditory feedback was really important, especially for hunting of course. Mostly men, stronger built with more muscles developed to go for the kill, would go out at night for hunting. That explains why hearing is better at night, and why we enjoy listening to music more in the evening. Women, in group, would stay in the shelter taking care of the young ones. For them, music is social thing, it is meant to be entertaining and fun. It brings people together and creates a strong bond, which is also important for survival.
For the men out hunting, hearing is crucial for locating prey and staying alive. That's why stereophonics and 3d stage sound is so valued nowedays. Also, having good ears can make a difference between life and death. Hearing high frequencies and picking up really low frequencies can make all the difference when a mammoth or sabre tooth tiger is approaching in the dark, behind the bushes.

Just my 2 cents. Watch Discovery Channel too often.

I will pass this along to my violinist wife.

She will be amused to know she can't hear high notes, esp. at night.

40 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

That's a shame.  I was pulling for her to succeed.  If it indeed failed I'm sure it wasn't because of her efforts.

=== it is. But for an extremely small start up in the children’s education/toy/tech business that is a huge mountain to climb.

Best that could have happened would have been a marginal success with a much bigger fish seeing growth potential in that market/ concept and buying them up — 

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, Kevin S said:

The ladies who willingly put up with us, or even join us in this hobby, have a special kind of tolerance indeed. 

That's true, mine puts up with everyone here to the point Amy made her a moderator years ago. But I have been training her to be tolerant of men for 40 years, whether she wanted to or not. 

34 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

The difference is, she doesn't really care about the equipment. It's just the means to the end........

That's exactly the way my wife feels about it.

Many years ago she was like the average wife, couldn't figure out why I wanted something if the other one was still working. I would read here and sometimes tell her when funny things would happen, she got to know some of the names. Eventually, she started to read here a little and she got to know some of the characters, and one day I signed on and see she had joined and started posting. :o It was a little scary in a way but worked out well now she completely gets it and has no problem if I want something, if we can afford it anyway. She even picked out our last and craziest set of speakers, something I would have never expected to get considering size. 

1 hour ago, LeftEyeShooter said:

Hearing high frequencies and picking up really low frequencies can make all the difference when a mammoth or sabre tooth tiger is approaching in the dark, behind the bushes.

I hate when that happens.

20 minutes ago, Deang said:

I've had 8 kids.

You two are much braver than us. 

1 minute ago, richieb said:

=== it would appear my statement of the project going under needs be “redacted” - (such the “in” word) 

Their website doesn't appear to be active, or can't be found. One of the founders was also an employee at Klipsch (headphone team)  before leaving and getting Amy to go. The company is based in Carmel, IN.

The last post on their FB page was last November.