Looking for speaker opinions.

Kyuss_79

Well guys, and then there was two. I have it down to 2 speakers. I want to thank everyone who chimed in. I read about every speaker mentioned in this thread. All great speakers in their own way. Its down to the Klipsch RF-7 III and Klipsch Cornwall III's. Are any of your here very familiar with both speakers? Anything you think I should know. Anything you care to share? In my undedicated L shaped room which is medium sized bordering on big , the speakers will be 5 feet front the back wall. One speaker will be two foot from side the wall, other speaker is 8 feet from side wall. No way around it right now. My current speakers are 8 feet apart and I sit 8 feet from the speakers. Behind my seating position there is another 8 feet to the back wall. Are the Cornwall's usually best placed right along the wall? Do any of you use the Stillpoint Aperture acoustic panels? or anything similar to them. Have any of you had success with such tweaks? Well, I'm off to sleep for a bit. Would love to hear from some of you. Enjoy the Music.

Regards,

Mikey.

Blues for the red Sun BAY BAY.

On 4/13/2019 at 3:08 AM, Kyuss_79 said:

Well guys, and then there was two. I have it down to 2 speakers. I want to thank everyone who chimed in. I read about every speaker mentioned in this thread. All great speakers in their own way. Its down to the Klipsch RF-7 III and Klipsch Cornwall III's. Are any of your here very familiar with both speakers? Anything you think I should know. Anything you care to share? In my undedicated L shaped room which is medium sized bordering on big , the speakers will be 5 feet front the back wall. One speaker will be two foot from side the wall, other speaker is 8 feet from side wall. No way around it right now. My current speakers are 8 feet apart and I sit 8 feet from the speakers. Behind my seating position there is another 8 feet to the back wall. Are the Cornwall's usually best placed right along the wall? Do any of you use the Stillpoint Aperture acoustic panels? or anything similar to them. Have any of you had success with such tweaks? Well, I'm off to sleep for a bit. Would love to hear from some of you. Enjoy the Music.

Regards,

Mikey.

Blues for the red Sun BAY BAY.

As the name suggests, the Cornwall is best in a corner or along a wall.  They were designed for that.  Your proposed distances from the wall will probably lose you some bass.  I'm not sure where in the bass spectrum this will occur, but a good subwoofer (in a corner, or against a wall!) may be very helpful.  The sub should probably come in a bit above your main speakers' 3 dB down point.  Experiment, experiment, experiment.  Without a sub, Cornwalls have good bass punch, but probably only when in a corner, or near a wall.   I have heard the Cornwall I and II many times, and the Cornwall III once, but none of the demonstrators or hobbyists had them out in the room.   They were usually against the wall.  Moving them from a corner to along a wall may lose you about 3 dB in the bass, and moving them out into the room may lose you another 3 dB, i.e., up to a 6 dB total loss.  Another way to say this is that, in the bass (where much of the high SPL and power is), going from out in the room to snugly in a corner can be like moving from a 100 watt amplifier to a 400 watt amplifier.  This last is a paraphrase of something Paul W. Klipsch once said.  All this is true of almost any speaker.  Some people don't like corner placement, but some love it.  I'm one of the lovers, but I put up some absorbing material on the wall where the midrange might otherwise bounce off the sidewalls of the corner.  You don't need much.  image.png.a443079e6246773ceecd148b6adbfcf0.png

The fact the Cornwall III is a 3-way may lower the distortion a bit. 

From Stereophile:  "It has often been claimed that, with a two-way speaker, there are audible benefits to using a crossover frequency below the typical 3kHz, the usual explanation being that this removes the crossover from the ear's area of greatest sensitivity. But I wonder. Perhaps this not-uncommon experience actually has much more to do with the D word. A three-way solution is potentially even better. Three-way speakers bring new design challenges, of course, in particular the need to achieve another perceptually seamless handover between drivers. But from the Doppler perspective, having a crossover for the bass driver at 400Hz or 500Hz is, unquestionably, better.https://www.stereophile.com/content/red-shift-doppler-distortion-loudspeakers-page-3#omWdye7G676SYg0g.99

I don't know the RF7 III very well, but I nearly always see them with their fronts even with the front of a TV table or credenza.  The same placement characteristics probably are true of the RF 7 III and the Cornwall, although the RF7 III may have been voiced to not depend so much on nearness of a wall, and care must be taken not to block the port.  Take a look in the RF7 III manual on the Klipsch website to see what placement they recommend.  Might as well look at the Cornwall III manual as well.

No matter which you choose, given your current room, and speaker preferences, I'd guess you will need a good sub, later, if it can't be sooner.