miniDSP 2x4 HD to DDRC-24 Dirac Live - Dallas

Hello all!  I just upgraded my MiniDSP 2x4 HD to the DDRC-24 (just a software update) to use DIract Live instead of REW.  I'm having emmense trouble with this!  Anyone in the Dallas area that has actual experience running measurements?  

So. sick. of. this.  

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

@Rudy81 or @Chris A may be able to assist.. I can't speak to their availability or excitement levels that I'm volunteering them, but they're the only guys around here that I know have spent considerable time on your type of activity, along with being in the metroplex.

They would be forever grateful for you volunteering them I'm sure! Who wouldn't want the opportunity to help a brother with room modes out???

I'm going to try a factory reset of the unitl... Reinstall all software, upgrade to Dirac DDRC firmware, and give it another go.

I can't be of any assistance with regard to using the Dirac software, but I would love to hear your impressions of its performance once you get it sorted.  I have the MiniDSP4x10HD (no Dirac).  I have heard rave reviews of the Dirac upgrade.  It is expensive though.  Would love to hear some first hand experience.  Good luck!

I did this upgrade also and ran into some problems along the way. My main issue was every time I would do the pre setup and check the levels it would say it was clipping when it was no where near loud enough to do that. I ended up having to adjust the volume in the minidsp software and that fixed it. It is not very reliable (crashes etc etc). I have now moved it to the garage setup where all I do is calibrate the sub.

9 minutes ago, rockhound said:

I did this upgrade also and ran into some problems along the way. My main issue was every time I would do the pre setup and check the levels it would say it was clipping when it was no where near loud enough to do that. I ended up having to adjust the volume in the minidsp software and that fixed it. It is not very reliable (crashes etc etc). I have now moved it to the garage setup where all I do is calibrate the sub.

Interesting. I cannot spend this kind of money on something like this and have less than stellar software.  MiniDSP's customer service is kinda bad since they're in Hong Kong. THey're a solid 48hrs response time, cannot call, and tell you to read the manual for every issue.  Now they want me to send them all these error logs.  I don't have time to be fixing their software for them.

Note that I haven't used Dirac Live or the miniDSP 2x4 HD yet, but feel free to PM me if you think I can be of assistance.

Chris

Quick update..  I found out that you cannot use MiniDSP's Dirac version with anything other than their UMIK-1 mic.  So i bought this Dayton Audio mic for absolutely nothing.   At the time of purchase (like 2 mts ago) I read better reviews on it.  Well so much for that.

They're both USB mikes, no?  If that's the case I'd guess maybe the calibration data is in a different format or something, and the system won't work without a validated mike calibration?  Perhaps one could translate the data to a proper format?

Another possibility is maybe they want to be able to only use equipment they can certify so as to guaranty results and since they have a mike suitable for the purpose they didn't see any reason to certify other mikes?

Or, maybe they're taking a cue from Microsoft and just want to corner as much of the market as they can?

Were it me, I'd look into the calibration file format and do conversion as necessary.

I'm considering getting one of those two mikes, where did you get your comparative information?