My 2 Channel Setup

Fido

On 4/11/2019 at 8:30 AM, ILI said:

This is my setup. I'm a beginner, obviously. No high-end gear.

The amp I use now is the 3.5 Watt TubeCube 7 combined with the RP160M. (The smaller, hybrid amp next to it was there for comparison/testing, and has now migrated to another room.)

• Klipsch RP160M speakers
  • TubeCube 7 | Tube upgrade: Sovtek 12AX7-LPS (longplates) and Sovtek EL84M

• Pro-Ject Essential III - George Harrison special edition + phono-stage

• a switch (4 in, one out)
  • a Amazon Fire 7 for streaming (cable-connected to the switch)
  • a brandless cd/dvd player (it also has usb-in and a cardreader)

setup.JPG

Nice setup with tubes.

How does the music sound through turntable?

Is that beginner OM cart? Maybe to make a step-up to Ortophon 2M Red or blue. It should be noticeably better.

1 hour ago, parlophone1 said:

Nice setup with tubes.

How does the music sound through turntable?

Is that beginner OM cart? Maybe to make a step-up to Ortophon 2M Red or blue. It should be noticeably better.

It's an Ortofon OM10 cartridge. https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/george-harrison-recordplayer/

It sounds pretty amazing with some well-mastered vinyl. When doing direct comparisons with streaming (mp3 at 320kbps), the vinyl sounds better, esp. in the low frequencies. Except for the dust and the scratches, of course. I've spent quite some time making comparisons, which is easy with the switch.

To be honest, upgrading the cartridge hadn't come to mind yet, I am more like looking  to upgrade the phono stage. Now it is a €40 China made one, and it does its job pretty well. But I'm curious about what the increase in quality would be like if I bought a hifi-qualified one, like one of these:

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/phono-box-e/

or these higher end ones:

https://www.project-audio.com/en/category/hifi-electronics/s2-line/phono-s2-line/

On 4/11/2019 at 11:12 AM, Fido said:

the wooden box is an old fashioned Color Organ I got when I was a teen - I like visual and audio art forms - so equipment has to look cool and sound good and visually stimulate as mush as the audio does

A Color Organ?  Wow, that takes me back!  They were kind of popular in the early-to-mid-Seventies.  I even saw a smaller one in a car once, under the dashboard.  Maybe it helped set the mood during makeout sessions (we were barely out of our teens then, lol). 

The modern equivalent might be the "Visualizer" programs that run on some phones when they're playing music.  You get a choice of colours and swirling patterns or rectangular designs.  They're sort of cool.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ILI said:

To be honest, upgrading the cartridge hadn't come to mind yet, I am more like looking  to upgrade the phono stage. Now it is a €40 China made one, and it does its job pretty well. But I'm curious about what the increase in quality would be like if I bought a hifi-qualified one, like one of these:

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/phono-box-e/

or these higher end ones:

https://www.project-audio.com/en/category/hifi-electronics/s2-line/phono-s2-line/

Better phono stage might bring some improvement, but I would definitely try it before buying.

If you have a hifi shop nearby, depending on their policy with customers, they might lend you new Phono to try at your home.

1 hour ago, Islander said:

A Color Organ?  Wow, that takes me back!  They were kind of popular in the early-to-mid-Seventies.  I even saw a smaller one in a car once, under the dashboard.  Maybe it helped set the mood during makeout sessions (we were barely out of our teens then, lol). 

The modern equivalent might be the "Visualizer" programs that run on some phones when they're playing music.  You get a choice of colours and swirling patterns or rectangular designs.  They're sort of cool.

My daughter is 9 and she has one of those rotating coloured lamps lightballs in her room. Remember those? Turns her room instantly into a Disco! Saturday Night Feever, The Bee Gees, John Travolta....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 5047U met Tapatalk

On 4/19/2019 at 2:27 AM, ILI said:

My daughter is 9 and she has one of those rotating coloured lamps lightballs in her room. Remember those? Turns her room instantly into a Disco! Saturday Night Feever, The Bee Gees, John Travolta....

The Color Organ is such a fun novelty. When people come to our house and see the vintage speakers, the Mcintosh Integrated, the Dual Turntable, all the records and the Color Organ they are always fascinated. And for those of you that have Klipsche Forte speakers you know the music is an immersive experience so its an out and out assault to the senses being in that room and listening to music.

I’ve got something similar to that.  It’s just called a “Bluetooth Party Speaker”.  It’s a lenticular plastic dome about 18cm/7 inches in diameter, with rotating coloured LEDs inside, so it throws coloured light beams all around the room.  It really livens up a party!

It also has two little speakers in it, an FM radio, and Bluetooth connectivity, so you can drive it from your phone or any other Bluetooth-enabled device.  It was on sale at The Source, a popular chain of electronic gear shops, so it was an irresistible deal.

5 hours ago, Islander said:

I’ve got something similar to that.  It’s just called a “Bluetooth Party Speaker”.  It’s a lenticular plastic dome about 18cm/7 inches in diameter, with rotating coloured LEDs inside, so it throws coloured light beams all around the room.  It really livens up a party!

It also has two little speakers in it, an FM radio, and Bluetooth connectivity, so you can drive it from your phone or any other Bluetooth-enabled device.  It was on sale at The Source, a popular chain of electronic gear shops, so it was an irresistible deal.

that sounds totally cool - i need to check one of those out

• Like 1