Quiet amp for active K-402

Ivaols

@Ivaols FYI, I checked the schematic of the Xilica output. When the mute is engaged it shorts pin 2 to 3 on the XLR output connectors. So if you had those outputs muted and had XLR cables going from the outputs of the Xilica to the inputs of the ATI amp you already had pins 2 and 3 shorted at the input of your amp. If this was still too noisy for your likeness then it is 99.9% sure it is your amp causing the problem. If it were me I would still want to check for the Pin 1 problem I mentioned before. Noise is sometimes a dastardly thing to track down.

1 hour ago, babadono said:

@Ivaols FYI, I checked the schematic of the Xilica output. When the mute is engaged it shorts pin 2 to 3 on the XLR output connectors. So if you had those outputs muted and had XLR cables going from the outputs of the Xilica to the inputs of the ATI amp you already had pins 2 and 3 shorted at the input of your amp. If this was still too noisy for your likeness then it is 99.9% sure it is your amp causing the problem. If it were me I would still want to check for the Pin 1 problem I mentioned before. Noise is sometimes a dastardly thing to track down.

I am using XLRs from the Xilica to the ATI. Muting some or all of the inputs and outputs did not make any difference in the noise. 

The NAD C268 is based on Hypex UcD which is known to be quiet. It has XLRs and adjustable gain. I hope these factors will finally get me a quiet setup. 

Thanks for your help babadono. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to say that the NAD C268 is possible to get quiet using the adjustable gain knob. Set all the way down I have to put my head inside K-402 to hear hissing sound. When set to fixed gain (25db) there is hissing sound that can be heared in the listening position. 

Finally I can enjoy silent moments in music and movies :)

Thanks again for all the help. 

• Like 1