Any HPLV Painters?

rplace

Figure there has to be one or more of you that can give me a quick answer over the searching and reading I've been doing. Thinking about a cheap Harbor Freight HPLV paint gun for a one time project. Not looking to spend a bunch of money. I already have a 2HP 6 gallon compressor that the specs says 3.5 SCFM at 45PSI and 2.6 SCFM at 90PSI. The gun says 12 CFM at 45 PSI with a working range of 15-45 PSI.

So educate me on SCFM and CFM and will the compressor I have (not interested in buying another) work for a small job of say 10-15 square feet?

Thanks!

I ordered this kit and used it to spray Epoxy primer on the roof of my car and it turned out really well. I like that it comes with two guns too. Just put a poster board or something on the wall and play around with the settings until you get the fan you want. That compressor seams a bit small but you can spray a light coat and get it to recharge then spray another etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046RDW3K/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

The problem is if you run out of enough air pressure, your gun will start to do bad things, such as squirt a stream of paint instead of atomizing it.

True, just wanted to say I love the HVLP guns compared to the old style and they are easier on a compressor. I have some old Devilbliss paint guns and I tried a cheap HVLP and it's all I use now. I have sprayed everything from regular enamel, latex to polyurethane and marine spar varnish with no problems, the older guns would not pick it well without being thinned way too much.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

True, just wanted to say I love the HVLP guns compared to the old style and they are easier on a compressor. I have some old Devilbliss paint guns and I tried a cheap HVLP and it's all I use now. I have sprayed everything from regular enamel, latex to polyurethane and marine spar varnish with no problems, the older guns would not pick it well without being thinned way too much.

I still spray with 30 year old DeVilbiss guns just because that's what I have. I do like hvlp painting, especially the elimination of so much overspray. There is a learning curve going from one format to another.

• Thanks 1

I bought one in 2012 but cannot remember the make.  Less than $100

I'd avoid Harbor Freight for stuff like this unless the gun has very positive reviews. 

Here is one that got good reviews on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/REXBETI-Ultimate-750-Electric-Lightweight-Spraying/dp/B07DLR5FK2/ref=sr_1_5?hvadid=327026393433&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9030835&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=2467114005263276836&hvtargid=kwd-634369527483&keywords=hplv+paint+spray+gun&qid=1554928720&s=gateway&sr=8-5

You can also rent one, but don't you want to own the tool? 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I still spray with 30 year old DeVilbiss guns just because that's what I have. I do like hvlp painting, especially the elimination of so much overspray. There is a learning curve going from one format to another.

No learning curve for me.......I never did great with the older guns, always seemed to have to adjust it. It's not like I did it often enough to get good at it, but the HVLP just seems to spray nice with whatever I put in it. One of the things I spray the least is what they are designed for automotive paint, could have been one of the problems?

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Here is one that got good reviews on Amazon:

Just remember it has to be easy to clean, old paint is what kills most guns.

I went to look the one I use is Kobalt brand, don't even know where  I got it. 

I have to say I love spraying but hate prep.

• Thanks 1

I've used this inexpensive HVLP spray gun from Amazon (see links) . It requires an operating pressure: 29 to 51 PSI and an average air consumption: 4.2 to 7.1 CFM.

Urethane hot rod black over Evercoat polyester primer on K402's and KP250's.

pNrNpCd.jpgVLVL9gX.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NOU92G/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://shop.thecoatingstore.com/15-Quart-Kit-of-Hot-Rod-Black-Single-Stage-Urethane-KPUB100-QKIT.htm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q8GFPK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dtel said:

No learning curve for me.......I never did great with the older guns, always seemed to have to adjust it. It's not like I did it often enough to get good at it, but the HVLP just seems to spray nice with whatever I put in it. One of the things I spray the least is what they are designed for automotive paint, could have been one of the problems?

That's all I've painted is cars. I did paint some 21 foot motor homes. Talk about a lot of paint!1077202162_2vettes522002.thumb.JPG.b432f08cfddf6306171460b27f4cf56e.JPG

• Like 1

• Moderators

Nice looking paint,  I have never done a car. :o A dump truck and tractor for a friend and a Toyota and Chevy truck for myself, that's it with wheels. Plenty of other things like speakers for a friend and myself and plenty of miscellaneous things like metal racks wood shelves and other things.

I do have my truck to paint, the trim is all off and ready to be sanded, no bodywork needed. But came to a stop when the fuel pump quit. It's replaced now and I just haven't started to work on it again, it's old 89 Chevy 3/4 ton with 41k original miles, no rush it's just to go to the hardware store or pull the gooseneck trailer, rarely used.

I probably need a new compressor, been putting that off, they're not cheap and I am.

Edit; thought of something else, the only thing I hate as much as sanding is taping everything off. 

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, rplace said:

Figure there has to be one or more of you that can give me a quick answer over the searching and reading I've been doing. Thinking about a cheap Harbor Freight HPLV paint gun for a one time project. Not looking to spend a bunch of money. I already have a 2HP 6 gallon compressor that the specs says 3.5 SCFM at 45PSI and 2.6 SCFM at 90PSI. The gun says 12 CFM at 45 PSI with a working range of 15-45 PSI.

So educate me on SCFM and CFM and will the compressor I have (not interested in buying another) work for a small job of say 10-15 square feet?

Thanks!

If your compressor has an output of 3.5 SCFM at 45PSI and the Harbor Freight gun you are interested in needs 12 CFM at 45 PSI, then your compressor does not pump enough air for that particular gun.  The Harbor Freight HVLP #46719 touch up gun looks like it will do the trick, given the size of your job and compressor.  This touch up gun has an average air consumption of 3.2 to 5.6 CFM @ 40 PSI. I've used an earlier version of this touch up gun and it worked surprisingly well, for the price. So, it's a good bet that your compressor will produce enough air using this touch up gun to complete your 10-15 square foot job.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hvlp-detail-spray-gun-46719.html

• Thanks 1