Klipschorns - Where's the Bass?

Slonomo

4 hours ago, Slonomo said:

I am embarrassed to say that my top speaker section was not matched to the lower section.

Is the problem resolved?  That's really all that matters.

If you made a mistake or overlooked something that's no big deal.  We have ALL done that.  Hopefully now you have a story to tell that will help others. 

Remove the doors and make sure the woofers are connected. While you're at it -- make sure you have woofers. [emoji4]
Damn.....forgot to put the woofers in again.[emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This reminds me of when I brought my klipschorns home they were wired out of phase. It was hard to tell when I listened to them at the seller's house because he had them in a small bedroom, with only one of them in the corner. I can't believe he had been listening to them all that time and never noticed. So essentially I had no bass either at first until I figured out the problem.

Shakey

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Slonomo said:

I am getting bass now but not as much as I would expect. I am listening to "older" recordings so I'm sure this is contributing. Do these speakers need to be "broken in"? They are sounding better the longer I play them.

No break-in in my opinion.

Recording quality is everything.

Try listening to In Exile by The Pineapple Thief off of the album Your Wilderness or

Fade To Black by Dire Straits off of the album On Every Street.

Plenty of bass in those songs.

On 5/11/2019 at 2:16 PM, Slonomo said:

I am getting bass now but not as much as I would expect. I am listening to "older" recordings so I'm sure this is contributing. Do these speakers need to be "broken in"? They are sounding better the longer I play them.

All speakers need to be broken in, even little computer speakers.  I spotted that when I had to send back a defective computer (the complete package) after a month.  The H/K tabletop speakers it came with had been sounding fine, but the replacement ones sounded tinny right out of the box, just as the first ones had.  The suspension on cone speakers is initially stiff, and can take from a few hours to a few days to break in.  The sound will gradually improve as they settle down and start performing as they’re designed to.

This seems to apply to compression drivers as well.  A couple of months ago, I installed a pair of new K-691 drivers on my tweeters, and the sound definitely improved over a day or two.  Who knew titanium had to soften up to sound its best?

This applies to phono cartridges, too, BTW.  They can take up to 20 LP sides of play before they sound their best.

Older recordings, like some of those from the Seventies, can sound kind of thin, with not much bass.  Try something like “Version 2.0” by Garbage.  It has interesting lyrics, great vocals, and lots of bass.

Klipschorns don't have the "false bass" that some juiced up speakers have.

Break-in could conceivably help.

Make sure you don't have any sources set for "small," if your electronics have that option, i.e., set for "large."

If you have a rumble filter (vanishingly rare nowadays) make sure it is "off."

If your Khorns don't fit tightly in the corner due to wall irregularities, use pipe insulation to make the seal.

Spotify has a mixed rep for fidelity -- I don't know, because I don't use it.

One problem with not having tone controls is that many disks have attenuated bass -- see Chris A's threads on "demastering" and "The Missing Octave" on this forum. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 5:16 PM, Slonomo said:

What did you change that made it better?  By "serial numbers" being off do you mean that 1 top section was paired with the other bass bin?  Wouldn't think that would make much difference.  I got good bass pretty quickly when I first got Khorns.  I guess I think that it is us that does much of the "breaking in" especially if you're not used to horn loaded bass as I was not.  That being said, the quality and when called upon - quantity of bass with my active K402/Khorn blend tuned to my room is unsurpassed in my experience.  And that's with only one real good corner.